OSR in bloom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Driving over to Selby this morning. As I approached the town bypass from Camblesforth I noticed an ocean of bright yellow a couple of fields away. A reminder of what's to come? I haven't noticed a significant amount in my locality yet but spring will soon be sprung.

Driving over to Selby this morning. As I approached the town bypass from Camblesforth I noticed an ocean of bright yellow a couple of fields away. A reminder of what's to come? I haven't noticed a significant amount in my locality yet but spring will soon be sprung.
Fully open everywhere down here

It will yield some nectar at low temperatures, but needs over 15C to start a half decent flow - its not an off/on thing Plenty of pollen coming in, but limited nectar from mine next to OSR when I checked at the weekend. Supered hives had some in, but not a great deal Anything over 20C and need at least a super a week for maturing the honey, in my experience. Been a lot of chat about different varieties of OSR being introduced so that could explain difference

I've loads of hives all over OSR currently, 12-15 over the past days - no issues (hammering it today).

I have folloved bees' flying, when highest temp is 12C. It took time to warm jp the day and 18C was reached at 12 a'clock. Then at time 15 the temp dropped down and bees stoppode flying.
You should note too, that wind cools down flying on open field.

I've loads of hives all over OSR currently, 12-15 over the past days - no issues (hammering it today).

I had 5 weeks a balance hive on Autumn rape field.
4 weeks 18C 15 kg honey = one week in 23C weather.

I had 5 weeks a balance hive on Autumn rape field.
4 weeks 18C 15 kg honey = one week in 23C weather.

I know that bees forage honey in December in Britain in small dizzy rain. Actually they forage drinking water to larvae but to beekeeper its is honey yield.

@SWEET Thank you for the video and the photo of the pollen covered bee.

OK. The colony is perhaps so small.
Morning and thanks for the reply; if this was case they would not be filling those super frames so quickly. The colony had around 8+ capped brood so i've added a Demaree board before they decide to swarm and to use as a resource for young bees (for mating nucs/timed with drone rearing for other stuff down the line). The super had been added a few days after (as early/muddy and moving gear around sites), so to sum - they have plenty of space, plenty of bees and dragging lots if OSR nectar in (and it's cold/windy). I'll keep rolling those frames over the next few months and using the young bees for various tasks - one of many setup like that (y) 💪 :) cheers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back