Spraying Apple cider vinegar over honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmb1360

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What are peoples thought on the youtube episode inside the hive tv, apple cider vinegar.

Dr Humberto Boncristiani has done a lot of work and research on honey bees

think he's been helping himself to too much of the scrumpy to start with.
And what is all this nonsense of adding the superfluous word 'apple' to cider. we all know that cider comes from apples (real cider that is, not the soft drink that other countries call cider)

What are peoples thought on the youtube episode inside the hive tv, apple cider vinegar.

Dr Humberto Boncristiani has done a lot of work and research on honey bees
In parts YouTube is a mine of insane rubbish. If it sounds stupid it probably is

And what is all this nonsense of adding the superfluous word 'apple' to cider. we all know that cider comes from apples (real cider that is, not the soft drink that other countries call cider)
Because cider can be made from most fruit, pear, peach, cherry, blueberry. Mango

and it's not exactly 'treatment free' if you are spraying all kinds of rubbish on them whilst feeding them with yoghurt! :unsure: :laughing-smiley-004
I would rather treat with natural products i can produce myself knowing its organic natural and good for my bees instead of buying chemical products that poison my bees that i know nothing about.
Whats better for the environment too buying chemical products that are toxic or planting peppermint around your hive to keep the mites away from your hive in the first place. My beekeeping is proactive not reactive and i care for the environment whats wrong with that.

Because cider can be made from most fruit, pear, peach, cherry, blueberry. Mango
no, cider, an alcoholic drink is made from apples, period.
Just because those across the pond call unfermented juice of any random fruit cider, doesn't make it true.
No need for the ridiculous sentence 'apple cider vinegar' so loved by the fashionista to describe bog standard cider vinegar

I believe acetic acid (as in vinegar) has been used as a treatment for varroa, but has been shown to be much less effective than oxalic acid. Other organic acids have been used too eg formic acid.

Its a preventative not a solution, varroa will be picked up and brought to the hive but strong smells microbes and other environmental factors play a part in helping them thrive. disrupt this enough and they won't thrive and your bees are less likely to pick up viruses.

Just to add context, there has been a scientific study in the Czech Republic with regard to the PH level of honey in comparison with sugar syrup. Also what acid levels do to viruses when sprayed directly onto honeybees. There is a 2021 paper 'Capsid opening enables genome release of iflaviruses'. Slow bee paralysis virus, sac brood virus and deformed wing virus are broken down with the acidic PH level. It suggests natural honey could be a layer of security against honeybee viruses infection. But more research is needed with apple cider vinegar.

Ok, I've just watched the YouTube video.
It's based on anecdotal evidence from one large scale USA beekeeper who had been spraying "apple cider vinegar" on his bees who felt they coped with with mites better (though didn't kill them).
The researcher then found the paper mentioned above which showed that in-vitro acidification made several viruses (sacbrood, slow paralysis, and deformed wing viruses) rupture their outer coat (normally happens within the cell in the infecting process) thereby inactivating them.
An acidic environment may therefore reduce the viral load within the hive. It's a long way from proven within a bee colony but is an interesting idea. Also could indicate that OA sublimation has other benefits beyond mite killing.
If I was going to try this it would be with very dilute pure acid rather than ACV which will have a stack of other substances in it. As I don't currently have a disease problem I won't be trying it.

Your a true hater my friend
To be honest he's right, cider is made from apples and perry is the equivalent made from pears. Other fruits may be used to make fruit wines but these are not cider. I'm ambivalent about the 'apple cider' bit but it is a tautology just like saying 'MOT test'

I had a look at that guy's linkedin page. Are you aware of any good quality peer reviewed studies backing up what he's saying? If not I'd be cautious. There are a lot of people who make spurious claims which even more people just accept and I'd be wary that this is an example of that. I couldn't see any publications listed on his profile, which strikes me as unusual for someone in research as most try to publicise their publications and the profile made almost as much of being an 'influencer' as a researcher. Be wary.

To be honest he's right, cider is made from apples and perry is the equivalent made from pears. Other fruits may be used to make fruit wines but these are not cider. I'm ambivalent about the 'apple cider' bit but it is a tautology just like saying 'MOT test'

I had a look at that guy's linkedin page. Are you aware of any good quality peer reviewed studies backing up what he's saying? If not I'd be cautious. There are a lot of people who make spurious claims which even more people just accept and I'd be wary that this is an example of that. I couldn't see any publications listed on his profile, which strikes me as unusual for someone in research as most try to publicise their publications and the profile made almost as much of being an 'influencer' as a researcher. Be wary.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Humberto-BoncristianiCo-author of a few papers.

Its a preventative not a solution, varroa will be picked up and brought to the hive but strong smells microbes and other environmental factors play a part in helping them thrive. disrupt this enough and they won't thrive and your bees are less likely to pick up viruses.
Are you going to try it and report back?

Back