Filled frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbohenn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I lost my hive over winter, but have a lot of frames (brood and normal) full of capped honey. Unfortunately it is all crystalised and I haven't been unable to extract it. What is the best thing to do with it? I put the frames back in the hive as I thought it might help attract a swarm, but all it has done is attract "robbers" and I don't think they're taking it as it's too hard.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I lost my hive over winter, but have a lot of frames (brood and normal) full of capped honey. Unfortunately it is all crystalised and I haven't been unable to extract it. What is the best thing to do with it? I put the frames back in the hive as I thought it might help attract a swarm, but all it has done is attract "robbers" and I don't think they're taking it as it's too hard.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Seal the hive up ... honey won't attract a swarm but as you have found out it will attract robbers. If it is crystallised there's not a lot you can do with it apart from keep it until such time as you have bees to feed. Be careful to keep an eye on them if they are brood frames as wax moth can still do some damage - they are not keen on honey filled cells but can work around them and make a mess.

Be careful to keep an eye on them if they are brood frames as wax moth can still do some damage - they are not keen on honey filled cells but can work around them and make a mess.

I put them all in the freezer for a few days. That seems to keep the wax moth under control as long as they're subsequently sealed up.

James

Latest posts

Back