Polystyrene sheet under aluminium rooves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:

I noticed when I took my niece into the neighbouring BKA's bee tent at the smallholders show as a 'tourist' that they referred to the porter bee escape holes in the CB as 'ventilation holes'. Also, according to Redwood our local SBI will remove the hole coverings on your crownboard if he sees them covered (can't with mine since there's no holes!)
I can assure you if the subject is raised in our apiary they are told in no uncertain terms that the only time holes are allowed is when covered by a feeder or serving a rhombus bee escape.

I wouldn't be able to guess who told you that - too many in this society still insist that holes should be left open - I keep trying, but seem to be a lone voice... (sorry, only just caught up with this thread.)

Why would the sbi think it's up to him to remove coverings???

Are we not, confusing condensation and humidity????

I said "Closing the vents with insulation on the inside WILL cause damp"

:beatdeadhorse5:

no,it depends were the due point is, The Dew point can be outside,inside or within the fabric of the wall, the dew point on an OMF is at the mesh, so humitiy would be reduced by water condensing at the mesh, therebye reducing humidity in the same way a portable dehumidifier works

Last edited:
When I started beekeeping in 2010 I read the insulating/matchsticks debate and then mentally revisited my basic physics.

SO I insulated all my TBHs and put in bottom boards all year and ignored what the so called experts said. The so called experts have since changed their minds.. and do the same.

I also read several old 1950s books which advised insulation on nationals, And looked at Finman's posts and others in cold climates - also in the US and Canada.

All I can say is that if insulating hives is bad or bees, then as most UK hives are uninsulated wood, then UK bees should be the strongest and best in the world and imports of bees and queens in spring will be unneccessary. Errr...

Basically the opponents of insulation defy physics and ignore current UK house building practice.

Put bluntly, opponents of insulation should logically conclude poly hives do not work in the UK.

They do.
So they are speaking rubbish. (and that is being polite).

Of course if you have a solid wood floor and no insulation, you will get condensation..And if you ran an uninsulated and heated house or greenhouse in winter you will as well.

What sensible gardener heats a greenhouse and then opens the roof vents to stop condensation? None...they insulate instead.

I will say no more. or I will say what I really think.

The debate makes the leyline debate appear logical.:serenade:

no,it depends were the due point is, The Dew point can be outside,inside or within the fabric of the wall, the dew point on an OMF is at the mesh, so humitiy would be reduced by water condensing at the mesh, therebye reducing humidity in the same way a portable dehumidifier works

Ever been in the jungle, no condensation there, but STILL just a tadd humid?

I wouldn't be able to guess who told you that - too many in this society still insist that holes should be left open - I keep trying, but seem to be a lone voice... (sorry, only just caught up with this thread.)

Why would the sbi think it's up to him to remove coverings???

Beat's me ! but he did lol, he's such a nice man I didn't have the heart to argue with him so when he went I placed the cover back, no harm done.

Thanks folks. Found it on David Cushman's site. If it is good enough for him then it is good enough for me. Still to have a look at the aluminium though. It might never happen.

Hi folks, Hope you have had fun I left at post 8. Hubby did a good job on the roofs.

Latest posts

Back