Just for some fun.... an excuse to smile.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. I used to quite enjoy doing cryptic crosswords once upon a time. Probably still would, but I wouldn't give any of the papers the pleasure of taking my money :D

James
I used to do the Western Mail cryptic crossword daily when I was duty officer in the Customs coordination unit in Cardiff many moons ago, It usually took me under twenty minutes, my personal best was ten, when I was on the boats I did Torygraph crossword regularly (apart from the Tuesday one as I reckon, back then the setter had some serious mental issues) it was part of the standard caterer's shoreside purchase and it used to p!ss off the engineers that a deck officer (who had far less spare time on their hands) would get there and fill it in first. That was over ten years ago, and I don't bother any more so I'm more than a bit rusty.

The Torygraph cryptic crossword was generally the challenge of choice when I was a student. It was usually a team effort by whoever didn't have lectures that morning. I have no idea who actually bought the paper. I'm surprised they allowed it on campus.

James

On the boats it was usually the remit of the engineers (as it at least kept them awake when we were sailing) although our commander used to try and at least get a photocopy of it for himself, but on Sundays (which traditionally was a white shirt & epaulettes/ G&T/wine/cheese and port kind of evening unless we were out chasing the wily smuggler) everyone would work on the Sunday crossword over the port round. The chief engineer would read out the clue plus number of words, any letter already found etc and we would all work individually on the answer, writing down any workings out on the pristine white tablecloth!! we were the laundryman's nightmare, and some Sunday crosswords would be imprinted permanently on our tablecloths for generations!!

On a not dissimilar vein:

Spell chequer​

Martha Snow​

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Spell Checker
I was traing a customer a few years ago in MS Word. She had a particularly objectional manager who used to type everything in upper case and then send it to her to spellcheck and re-type in senteence case
This was particularly inefficient so I said I would show her how to change case next time.
The following morning her sent her another report to re-type on Borehole extraction in Norfolk.
I duly showed her how to change case and suggested she run a spell checker. Timidly she referred to him first. He said run your spell checker but I do not make mistakes.
We ran the spell checker and it changed Borehole to Brothel. She then submitted the report to all interested parties.:D

Spell Checker
I was traing a customer a few years ago in MS Word. She had a particularly objectional manager who used to type everything in upper case and then send it to her to spellcheck and re-type in senteence case
This was particularly inefficient so I said I would show her how to change case next time.
The following morning her sent her another report to re-type on Borehole extraction in Norfolk.
I duly showed her how to change case and suggested she run a spell checker. Timidly she referred to him first. He said run your spell checker but I do not make mistakes.
We ran the spell checker and it changed Borehole to Brothel. She then submitted the report to all interested parties.:D
So how do you change case en masse in Word?

Latest posts

Back