In my garden?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I read this - I had previously read other articles where people say they have bees in an urban garden and their neighbours don't even realise they're there. I was planning on putting one or two hives in my garden this year but now i'm not so sure at all. My garden is long but only 20 ft wide. I had believed the 6.5 ft fence would have prevented my neighbours being disturbed by the bees but if it could be a problem I don't think it's worth it.... they have just built a lovely summerhouse and I don't want to make it a no go area!

I find that they whilst gaining height they fly straight over the garden next door.

Got new people in that house now and I dont know if they know about the bees.

Our bees are separated from our neighbours by a very high deciduous hedge. These neighbour know we have bees. Last year they put a trampoline on their side of the hedge, directly next to the bees. At times there were more than ten loud, and very active, children on and around the trampoline.

To the best of my knowledge there have been no problems, because nobody has complained about stings.

The bees tend to fly up and out, and spiral down to the hives. I think they visit our pond, but other than that I don't see any more bees in our garden than before we had our own hives.

Glad I read this - I had previously read other articles where people say they have bees in an urban garden and their neighbours don't even realise they're there. I was planning on putting one or two hives in my garden this year but now i'm not so sure at all. My garden is long but only 20 ft wide. I had believed the 6.5 ft fence would have prevented my neighbours being disturbed by the bees but if it could be a problem I don't think it's worth it.... they have just built a lovely summerhouse and I don't want to make it a no go area!

I think it would be worth sounding out your neighbours in advance.
They will benefit from the free pollination service and hopefully the odd jar of your honey -- but if they do happen to have objections, you need to know before, not after, you have stuck some bees in there.

The bees can deal with a steep climb/decent and you want them as high as possible, as quickly as possible, so they disperse without bothering anyone.
If your neighbours have ponds in sunny spots (or especially a hot tub!) you won't be able to conceal the bees for very long ...

And in any case, you do need some sort of Plan B to deal with the possibility that your bees might one day go a bit evil.

Strange that BeeJoyful, after moving mine to out apiary I've missed them in the garden.

It's probably because there are already a lot of 'kept' bees in the immediate area, including quite a few known feral colonies that might be increasing the local population all on their own.

We've always had lots of bees at the pond, as well as plenty lining up politely around the edge of the birdbaths.

my garden fence is 4ft high, young kids play out there on most warm days, although they know about the bees and are not scared by them, never had a problem

took this video today, you can hear the kids next door

http://youtu.be/JP8_MoHpcgI

First year of beekeeping here. I have a hive in my garden, and I've spoken to the one neighbour who has a clear view of the hive (it's a national), and they were both supportive and actually seemed interested. Neighbour to my left is separated from the hive by 10+ft high ivy, and neighbours opposite have their view of the hive obscured by the shed (though they'll probably spot me inspecting the hive at some point).

I was a bit worried when one of the neighbours opposite was out in the garden chatting on her mobile phone yesterday, and there was a huge number of bees in the air coming and going, which I thought she might spot and freak out about, but either she noticed and didn't care, or she didn't see it. I think the former is more likely, given the number in the air. :p

I made sure to choose a breed of bee that has a reputation for being gentle and less likely to sting, and chose Carnies for that reason. I can stand immediately beside the hive while the bees are active without protective clothing and apart from the odd one landing on me to check me out, they ignore me.

There's also the issue of bee poo on peoples washing, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I have to.

There's also the issue of bee poo on peoples washing, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I have to.
Keep quiet about it.

They wont know what it is..

Not for one moment do they even think that a bee might have bodily functions the same as themselves..

I have been keeping bees in our garden since 2010. 0.5 acres.

We have neighbours on one side (ex farmer), field at rear and other side and neighbours on the other side of the road.. lots of them.

Asked our next door neighbours if they minded - before we got bees. OK. We had trees plus a 1.25 meter tall fence between us.

On the other side our hives are hidden from road and viewers by a 1 meter high box hedge.

Odd swarms never annoyed next door neighbours, some 200 meters away who know I keep bees have seen "my" bees in their gardens. No problems.

I beekeep in camo suit so am not visible to miscreants - the site can be seen up the hill for about 150 meters and is then hidden when the road bends away.

The bees crap over windows, cars, washing, flowers, everything. No-one complains - except my wife - in jest.

To my knowledge no-one local has been stung. Young children have visited to "see the bees" as have friends.. no stings yet.

Bees are very laid back in good weather. In bad weather? Sometimes grumpy but very few fliers so no issue.

To conclude: no problems. But lots of space/few close neighbours.

The farmer who fills the field with heifers does not know /care. The heifers may know but say nowt :)

EDit

I see Ben90 has carnies.

Very gentle yes. But the swarms! I can forsee a change after next year...

Last edited:
just make sure to give them some honey when you get some!

Having a plan B is essential. I've had bees in my garden for 3 years with no problems (small garden, high hedges). I told the (sensible) neighbour on one side, but didn't tell the others as they object to everything.

The most recent occupants have just been moved to the out-apiary after becoming possessive, and pestering us when gardening. I will shortly be moving a quieter colony in to take their place.

My bees are in the garden have been for over a year + none of them no and I no atleast one nebour would get grumpy but they afect no one I can stand rite in fronte of them tho and don't use a bee suet so really depends on bees I'm shaw I recomend who I got myn off hiley + legaly ur not resposible for them when the leav the hive so I'd say place it smartly and no one will ever no

also i have a dog 9 quailes + dog actuly nocked the hive off the stand + even then i just when out there and put it up quickly at like 100mph as it was starting to raine then i was slitly petrfied tbh but i fined they are genraly gentle and it takes alot to make myn sting well iv only been stung once by one and that was be caus i stood on it + my dads been stung twice thrue the glove when lookn at the frames so wt im saying i very much dout any of your nebours will have a problem even no there there but if u tell them u get alot of people who put bees and wasps in the same group and there is no tallkn them around if they dont no and fined out atleast you can say they have been ther .......... and you haven realised or had a problem so do one + i rang stevenage cousil where i live they said we encrouage it so chances are u will have your councils backing

you cant pleas every one .. just go with what you whant check the bees be for bying and get your idear on a good day when you open them up they wont go crazy ye they may land on you etc but if your carm you probly wonte get one trye to sting you ... so whats your nebour gno do to pi.. them off + petrole lawnmower is ok iv flicked grass all over the fronte entrance with ows they didnt bothere about it ... dont get a sawarm and ask around cheapest arnt gno be the best

EDit

I see Ben90 has carnies.

We'll see after next year I suppose. I'd like to think I'm prepared to deal with a swarm, but I won't know until I do, really. If they do swarm and I catch it in time, I'll probably just split anyway, as I'll want a second colony.

Last edited:
In fifteen years of keeping about 20 colonies in my garden there have been three problems only:
1) the masses of bee poo following early spring cleansing flights on my eastward neighbour's fleet of cars. No solution for that that I can see.
2) The loss of a gardener who insisted on helping with a swarm on an unshakeable high up conifer branch, sawed the branch with swarm on off, dropped it and trod on hundreds of bees on the way down the ladder. The bees behaved aggressively towards him ever after and he did not last long.

Apart from that the bees have always been a pleasure to have around, neighbours are very interested in them, sheep less so, swarms happen regularly and invariably draw the neighbours in.

3) Sometimes bees get caught up in people's hair; have a wide-toothed comb on every bit of garden furniture.

Bees are local mongrels, vigorous and friendly.

The only person who ever gets stung (touch wood) in this fairly busy garden is me. mostly on the occasion of mowing. I have acquired a scythe now, and let the grass grow. Fascinating insect life!

I see Ben90 has carnies.

I have had Carnies with a 3-4 year old queen and never a QC. They have this reputation, but some strains will be worse than others with any type.

I suspect a lot of it is because they build up well early in the season. If you're in the 'don't inspect before April' group then you probably will lose swarms.

We'll see after next year I suppose. I'd like to think I'm prepared to deal with a swarm, but I won't know until I do, really. If they do swarm and I catch it in time, I'll probably just split anyway, as I'll want a second colony.

A swarm?

That implies one.

I suspect you'll be very lucky if they stop at one. When I had carnies, 15 QCs was the norm and a swarm and several casts if you did not cut down the QCs..

Just be prepared..

Back