Honey fermentation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.S

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than I used to have.
I have got a few 30 pound buckets of rape honey all taken off in one batch in May this year. I was moving the buckets to make room for yet more honey and noticed that one of the buckets plastic lids was popped upwards. Obviously gas coming from the honey which is set. None of the others from the same batch have done this and on removing the lid there was no winey smell at all. Any ideas as to what to do with this one? Is it worth risking it and melting and bottling this one now or am I in for a few gallons of mead?

check the water content to be sure, might of been the hot weather, lid not on properly, half filled bucket and air above expanded creating pressure.

When it crystallises any residual liquid is lower in sugar concentration and more liable to ferment.

Pasteurising a bucketful isn't easy, but would kill the yeasts that are there.
Maybe melt it, jar it, then pasteurise as jars (30 minutes in a waterbath at 63/65ish, then chill back to 30ish).

If you intend to sell this honey be aware that any evidence of fermentation eg in terms of taste or smell degrades it to bakers honey even after pasteurisation (see 2003 Honey regs)

Thanks for the replies. It's a full bucket, hence my reluctance to use for mead. ITMA's idea seems like a good one, and no this is only for home consumption. I think I will be cooking honey one evening this week!

The simple check is to look at the surface. If looking dry and almost powdery, it is OK; looking moist is bad news. Risking bottling marginal honey is up to you. I've ever only had one batch which fermented in the jars. I know why and it will never happen again. Jar lids just bulged.

If it was marginal, I would be feeding most back to the bees. Avoiding the top layers, of course.

Latest posts

Back