Could it get any worse after the wax moth saga???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
Thought I'd "tidy up" some bits of 1st melt comb wax I have lying about the place [first mistake] put the lot in a Sainsburys nylon veg bag and dropped it into the pan with an inch of water in the bottom on her Majesties S/S Gas hob. A quick glance in the pan and I thought to myself, perhaps it needs a little more water! [second].

Being male and convinced I can multi task with the best of them, I decided to package up a jar of honey for a buddy to be posted on that I'd promised to do whilst the hob worked its magic. All wrapped up, I despatched swmbo off to the post office with said package who instructed me to "keep an eye on that pan whilst I'm gone"!!

Still multitasking thinking "what is all the fuss about??" a period of time passed before my eyes widened like Marty Feldmans' and a sharp intake of breath got me moving rapidly to the kitchen. The whole tincture was bubbling away and spitting round the lid covering the prized hob and surrounding work surfaces in a substantial covering of exceedingly small wax dots coupled with a puddle of wax forming to the side of the fifth ring.

Remembering those immortal words of Clint Eastwood from one of his movies, improvise, adapt, overcome!! I sprang in to action scrapping for my life to make the hob and surrounding area cleaner than a Taiwan microchip manufacturing room only to hear the key in the lock of the front door. SWMBO took one look and exited the kitchen rapidly without saying a word. I'm still on vision only which, I'm beginning to see the positives in. Room inspection will come later, hopefully when sufficient time has passed for her to calm down although history has told me, this is a triumph of hope over reality.

The irony is, I have all the kit in the garage. Why I didn't go in there will be subject to scrutiny no doubt later.........

OMG .. first lesson in beekeeping...wax and kitchens should never come together. You only ever make that mistake once... you should know better by now.

Ouch. I feel you’ve transgressed the bounds of an abject grovel. Hopefully you’ll not get sent into orbit. Good luck!!

I think it’s worse when they don’t say anything…….you KNOW they will at the time of their choosing…

My OH has happily put up with my extractor being in the kitchen for a couple of weeks or so, and had made helpful suggestions where I could store it to avoid trying to get it up into the loft.
She's a star, I reckon I'm lucky :)

Mine is usually broadly accepting of my extra curriculum activities but I haven't helped myself lately.

Oh dear.....THAT is an expensive jar of honey ......;)
I think I made it worse by trying to clear it up before it was noticed. I can still hear the key slide into the lock, it'll haunt me for a day or two....... I knew I didn't have time to let it set.

I think I made it worse by trying to clear it up before it was noticed. I can still hear the key slide into the lock, it'll haunt me for a day or two....... I knew I didn't have time to let it set.
Trouble is you try to clear it up while KNOWING you are going to make an even worse mess

Trouble is you try to clear it up while KNOWING you are going to make an even worse mess
The feeling of impending doom is never far from my physiological state Dani:smilielol5::smilielol5:

It's only a but of wax on the hob - how bad can it be? :p
When its in its liquid state you dont clean it up, just smear it over a wider area lol

Well not only do we all need a honey room but a proper kitchen attached to it. While we are at it a small area with a sofa to relax and enjoy a cuppa and a shower to get the honey off at the end of the day.
Wait a minute....sounds like somewhere to live :eek:

Well not only do we all need a honey room but a proper kitchen attached to it. While we are at it a small area with a sofa to relax and enjoy a cuppa and a shower to get the honey off at the end of the day.
Wait a minute....sounds like somewhere to live :eek:
Did you ever visit Ricky Wilson at his queen rearing apiary? his setup had a Honey room, a proper shower room, a nice big kitchen/bottling room as well as a workshop and stores attached. More like a bungalow than anything else.

5 DEADLY TERMS USED BY A WOMAN

1- FINE

This is the word women use to end an argument when she knows she is right and you need to shut up

2- NOTHING

Means "Something" and you need to be worried

3- GO AHEAD

This is a dare, not permission, don't do it

4- WHATEVER

A woman's way of saying screw you

5-IT'S OK

She is thinking long and hard on how and when you will pay for your mistake.

5 DEADLY TERMS USED BY A WOMAN

1- FINE

This is the word women use to end an argument when she knows she is right and you need to shut up

2- NOTHING

Means "Something" and you need to be worried

3- GO AHEAD

This is a dare, not permission, don't do it

4- WHATEVER

A woman's way of saying screw you

5-IT'S OK

She is thinking long and hard on how and when you will pay for your mistake.
I think, as a woman, I might agree with you ;)

Latest posts

Back