'HELP! honey bees in my summerhouse'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmoking

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Arrived 30/04/2013
Had a friend call me and say his friend had a honey bee swarm in his summerhouse. 'Brilliant' says I. My first swarm. Whoopee. Mentally checking off the things I will need. Suit, wellies......... you know what I mean. Wait 'til later in evening. Drives what? 7/8 miles. And................. they're bumblebees!! 'Oh well' At least it gave me a chance to don my gear. I take it away anyway. Patiently waiting while all the bees return. I return home and place the bird box (what they had made their home) in my garden. Had a look this morning and they seem happy enough but I will have to move them as they are in the position that my top bar hive will bee permanently placed. Maybee next, time! ;)

when i get calls, i ask for the location of the '' nest'' and the colour of the bee. If they say that the nest is in a bird box or in the grass, i know it would not be honey bees so i ask to leave them alone as they will not pose a risk to anyone if they are left alone.

And when they say they have a swarm on the grass I ask ' how many bees'. When they say 'at least 20' I know solitary so explain and politely ask them to call back when 20,000.
If they say they are worried about the dogs I say the dogs wont harm the bees :D.. and to put a bit of a tree branch over the emerging bees to allow them safe exit and little fingers (child's) and noses (dogs) from getting too close

Latest posts

Back