Giving up - what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So I've just finished the second year of beekeeping and I've had a cracking year, lots of honey, a healthy colony, happy me. Unfortunately this is all offset by a very unhappy wife. She's developed a real fear of the bees, which I have to say is warranted.
I've been stung a few times whilst inspecting my hive but never whilst away from it (it's kept at the end of the garden), but she's been hit at least a dozen times now whilst minding her own business and yesterday she calmly stated that the bees had to go.
I'm exploring possible relocation, but may also give up altogether. My question is if I do decide to pack it in how and when would this work.
The bees are now settling down for the winter and I'm unsure if this means it's a better time to move them? I presume I won't have any trouble finding someone on these boards who would take them off my hands.....?

Beekeeping should not be like that. I have 3-4 hives at the bottom of my garden and, whilst I have been stung doing bee stuff, my wife has never suffered a sting in the garden.

One option for you would be to requeen the colony in the spring with a queen from a seller who has a reputation for selling gentle bees. Alternatively, move them to an out-apiary away from the back garden. Clearly, this is not as convenient as having them at the bottom of the garden but if you ask around, you may find a site for an apiary nearby.

CVB

My wife got highly stressed after I started out. She got stung a couple of times and I had one or two swarms that she feared would end friendships with our lovely neighbours. I was on the verge of quitting.

I re-queened, which helped a lot and I advertised locally for an out-apiary location. This was easier to achieve than I imagined and is without doubt the best thing I ever did. I still keep a few colonies at home and there is something about my wife's hair that seems to attract usually-calm bees to sting her, but for the most part she is quite content.

Hi, i feel fo your wife as my hubby and i arenew beekeepers and the bees ignore him and chase me while im not even near them. After many experiments i now know its my perfume (nina ricci) so im careful to shower and have no scents on when out in the garden. Has she tried avoiding the fragrances she normally uses? I do have a fairly aggresdive hive and have ordered a a new slov carnialova due early april.

Beekeeping should not be like that. I have 3-4 hives at the bottom of my garden and, whilst I have been stung doing bee stuff, my wife has never suffered a sting in the garden.

One option for you would be to requeen the colony in the spring with a queen from a seller who has a reputation for selling gentle bees. Alternatively, move them to an out-apiary away from the back garden. Clearly, this is not as convenient as having them at the bottom of the garden but if you ask around, you may find a site for an apiary nearby.

CVB

Imo that is good advice and if you really want to carry on keeping bees move them for now and put them back where they are once you have got your hands on a nice gentle strain.

I do have a fairly aggresdive hive and have ordered a a new slov carnialova due early april.
Hopefully you have a good reputable supplier.
The last batch of Slovenian Carniolans we got from a supplier who advertises in the glossies.... about 1/4 were vicious as hell!
I made the error of crossing one of these with our local mongrels....never never again!

Beagle I do hope you continue, and can find a good new site close by. It seems a real shame for you to have to give up. Even if you re-queen them, my feeling is that your wife's likely to still be apprehensive if they stay in the garden, and so you'd be worrying about her. I had to move mine in spring, in a hurry, after I'd been stung a few times while some distance away, before they stung my neighbours (also their landlords!) It really was a relief after that just not to have to worry about people being stung - or about their perhaps swarming close to others too. That did make up for the inconvenience. (They're all now a lot calmer, and I've brought some back, but it's good to have alternative sites lined for them if needed.)

- I'm sure someone will take them for you if you really want, though.

Find an out apiary with no near neighbors or public any where near.
I have experienced aggressive bees and the best thing for them is a 1/4 pint of petrol in through the crown board.... Carnie crosses.. all over the beekeeper like a rash.... even calm ones were followers!

Yet pure Carnies can be the best bees to have.. depending on where you live....

( Now the area is flooded with Amm and no one bringing in foreign bees to the area .. no problem!)

Bees at the bottom of the garden is not a wise decision ( unless you have a very very long garden... four furlongs or more!) and SWMBO is also a beekeeper ( or HWMBO)

Yeghes da

Find an out apiary with no near neighbors or public any where near.
I have experienced aggressive bees and the best thing for them is a 1/4 pint of petrol in through the crown board.... Carnie crosses.. all over the beekeeper like a rash.... even calm ones were followers!

Yet pure Carnies can be the best bees to have.. depending on where you live....

( Now the area is flooded with Amm and no one bringing in foreign bees to the area .. no problem!)

Bees at the bottom of the garden is not a wise decision ( unless you have a very very long garden... four furlongs or more!) and SWMBO is also a beekeeper ( or HWMBO)

Yeghes da
I have had bees from hell and even then i would never ever do that to them, it is much better to simply requeen them from calm stock which i did this year with very good results.

Bees at the bottom of the garden is not a wise decision
I keep a dozen hives not more than 30m away from the house. No problems. Although I do have a couple of out apiaries should one become a problem. Seems Buckfast do well at the bottom of the garden.
If what you are saying is accurate then native(ish) Amm's in your garden is a problem.
:D

My 'starter' queen left with a swarm last spring and one of her daughters currently occupies the hive. They're actually very calm when I'm inspecting, and one of the guys from the local BA was helping me out a few weeks ago and remarked how calm they are. So I think we can discount a general attitiude problem.

It may be, as a couple of you suggested, that my wife is wearing the wrong perfume but I think that we may have moved past the stage where she will entertain any appeasement strategy. It didn't help that she was stung on the jaw last week and the swelling was severe for most of the week AND that she was complaining to both sets of neighbours about this, and that both sets have already expressed their concerns to me having seen my girls swarm twice this year.

I think I either move the bees or give them away :icon_204-2:

My 'starter' queen left with a swarm last spring and one of her daughters currently occupies the hive. They're actually very calm when I'm inspecting, and one of the guys from the local BA was helping me out a few weeks ago and remarked how calm they are. So I think we can discount a general attitiude problem.

It may be, as a couple of you suggested, that my wife is wearing the wrong perfume but I think that we may have moved past the stage where she will entertain any appeasement strategy. It didn't help that she was stung on the jaw last week and the swelling was severe for most of the week AND that she was complaining to both sets of neighbours about this, and that both sets have already expressed their concerns to me having seen my girls swarm twice this year.

I think I either move the bees or give them away

Finding an out apiary is pretty straight forward if you get out and about find the landowner and ask. Usually, I get a yes. Only had a couple of noes over some 25 years so the odds are good.

I don't blame your wife in the slightest.

PH

Once someone gets a fear like this it will never go away. So the bees will have to move in my opinion. Your garden is there to be enjoyed, not to be scared of! An out apiary apiary has to be the answer.
Best of luck
E

Once someone gets a fear like this it will never go away. So the bees will have to move in my opinion. Your garden is there to be enjoyed, not to be scared of! An out apiary apiary has to be the answer.
Best of luck
E

:iagree:
SWMBO is now three years into desensitisation for wasp and honey bee stings.
She is not phobic about bees...

It needs to be said, however, anyone suggesting placing colonies potentially dangerous animals in close proximity to people "needs their bumps felt"... as my Gran would have said!

Mytten da

Your local association may be able to find you a site to move them over the winter. It isn't worth keeping them in the garden if people become too scared to go outside.

Thanks for helping to clarify my thinking. Time to seek out an apiary I think. It's a shame as I really enjoyed sitting under my cherry tree watching the bees coming and going, but I can't have family and neighbours suffering for my kicks.

I've had bees in really daft places.
Some you can some you can't.

Re-queen the hive or the house. :)

Or get an out apiary. They come with peace and quiet.

Back