Banking Virgin Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kali

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
So up to now I've Been pretty lazy when it comes to queen's... pretty much buying them in most of the time.
But I've just incubated my first 10 virgins and I'm pondering over a question......

I've seen beeks mark virgins is that normal ? ( I won't be doing it ).
I've seen beeks bank there queen's with other bee attendees.. ( this is my question ) ..... does she need them ? I read via a good beek book that she can feed herself whilst unmated as she doesn't need as much energy or food as a layer.....

What does everyone else think ?

You can bank them in a hive, they will do better among other bees who will look after them, just make sure the cages are secure. Left on their own in a cage for a couple of days is miserable, I've held some for three days and they were ok but I like to get them into a little colony as soon as possible.

You can bank them in a hive, they will do better among other bees who will look after them, just make sure the cages are secure. Left on their own in a cage for a couple of days is miserable, I've held some for three days and they were ok but I like to get them into a little colony as soon as possible.
Perfect ... thanks.. 🙂

Latest posts

Back