Does size matter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
A new queen arrived today from a UK breeder.
I am a little concerned about her small size. She has around 9 attendants in the cage and if it wasn’t for the pink dot, I’d be hard pushed to see her to be honest.
Does size matter with queens? I have asked the question of the supplier as I’ve never seen such a tiny queen.
Added a photo of one of my best queens for comparison, not to scale obvs but much bigger than the other bees.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    690.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1254.jpeg
    IMG_1254.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Is one older than the other more mature, but no size doesn’t mater I have smaller black queens that are more prolific than some of my bigger local queens both the same age .

Last edited:
It depends on her age, in general a virgin queen is similar in size to a nurse bee and is identified by her abdomen that forms an almost equilateral triangle. A one-year-old fertilized queen has a longer abdomen and can be the same (total) size as a bee and a half.

Size does matter…. However probably not in this instance! Your queen is likely from a small nuc and young so not in full regalia. She has also likely been out of lay for some time due to shipping. Once introduced and back in lay she will likely look considerably better. Your photo shows a queen in full lay in a hive there is going to be a difference!

Last edited:
Size does matter…. However probably not in this instance! Your queen is likely from a small nuc and the young so not in full regalia. She has also likely been out of lay for some time due to shipping. Once introduced and back in lay she will likely look considerably better. Your photo shows a queen in full lay in a hive there is going to be a difference!
That’s interesting I’ve a few 4 year olds and there smaller than some of my other queens .

That’s interesting I’ve a few 4 year olds and there smaller than some of my other queens .
That will depend on the genetic variability of the species, not all people are equally tall for that reason I established the relationship with their sisters (lower variability and therefore the difference can be extrapolated)

That will depend on the genetic variability of the species, not all people are equally tall for that reason I established the relationship with their sisters (lower variability and therefore the difference can be extrapolated)
Indeed also what hive type manipulations we use Amm type or what ever as you say , I’m sure I could keep a smaller queen in a nuc that has been restricted

Indeed also what hive type manipulations we use Amm type or what ever as you say , I’m sure I could keep a smaller queen in a nuc that has been restricted
I was referring to the fact that within the Amm it exists in terms of its size, it is true that they are mm compared to the average of 20mm, to which in the human species the range is 1.6-2.1 with an average of 1.8-1, 7 according to gender. This is indifferent to fertility (abdomen length for queen bees)

The workers will decide if she is up for the job. Had a few supersedure's that turned out ok.

Size does matter…. However probably not in this instance! Your queen is likely from a small nuc and the young so not in full regalia. She has also likely been out of lay for some time due to shipping. Once introduced and back in lay she will likely look considerably better. Your photo shows a queen in full lay in a hive there is going to be a difference!
:iagree:

Latest posts

Back