First Highland calf of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The first calf arrive last night. A bull calf for a change. In the last 3 years we have had only had heifer calves. 2 more cows to calve in the next week or so. Hopefully some heifers.

Mike

Calving - that brings back memories; each time I look in the drawer at the Hermes watch (which one day I'll send off to be cleaned and serviced) my mam bought me as a lad I think 'by heck - that's been some strange places' :eek: I'm still a b*gger for never taking my watch off

Took me two read throughs to get that jbm, lol.
@MikeT piccies?

In a previous life 40+ years ago, pre-disposable gloves, I used to forget to remove my wedding ring prior to the start of lambing. It was interesting going back 'in' to try and retrieve it. Also we used iodine on the navels and that would turn the gold black, had to clean the ring with a brillo pad.

That is great news...a lovely Highland calf. We are still waiting for my mare to foal. She is getting a bit more udder but it is all very slow and she is huge! We don't have a date as she was a rescue horse from Portugal slaughter yards....then it turned out she was in foal! I wish someone would tell me how to get my photos the right way up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 20
Very upset this evening, we suspect the calf born on 5 May has been stolen. Ear tag found in the catching area, which the calf could not get in. The tag is a non tamper type which would have been cut out of the ear so as to remove its identity and farm. I last saw the calf on Thursday night, did not see it this morning, that's not unusual as the cows hide their calves up in nettles etc. for up to 12 hrs. between feeds. Have informed the police. We did have a heifer calf born last night, I don't think anyone will be brave enough to take her calf or they will be skewered on her horns, she is a very protective cow, but OK with me.

I am hoping the calf may turn up and she tore her tag out on the rails of the catching area, will be up early to walk the field tomorrow.

Mike

Oh God...I hope he turns up soon!
In regards to my photo...perhaps if she were to get up and move around...she might get on with foaling.

He arrived home at 8.30 this morning, with a split ear, where he had pulled out the tag. I have never known a calf be away from its mother for so long over 36 hrs. The cow's bag looked empty after he had a good feed. I looked in the field at 9.00 last night 5.00 this morning.

Mike

Thanks for all your support

Heres the photo as requested. Just bought a new Bridge Camera, still learning how to use it

Tried 3 pictures and get error message each time when I try to upload the pictures. Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back