Cow **** Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few years ago I was on a farm in France with husband and daughter. My daughter had a cough and the farmer brought us some miel and told us to make up honey and lemon. As this was a standard thing of my childhood I was happy to do it.
For whatever reason I didn’t try the honey first. Once my daughter had tasted it she declared it disgusting and refused any more. Once I tried it I agreed. The honey tasted and smelled of cow ****.
Not being a beekeeper at that time I put it down to bad storage conditions. Now I assume it was because the bees had used the water that sits on top of cow pats as their water source. This was in an area that could have very dry summers and this was probably the only reliable water source.
Has anyone any similar experiences or explanations?

A few years ago I was on a farm in France with husband and daughter. My daughter had a cough and the farmer brought us some miel and told us to make up honey and lemon. As this was a standard thing of my childhood I was happy to do it.
For whatever reason I didn’t try the honey first. Once my daughter had tasted it she declared it disgusting and refused any more. Once I tried it I agreed. The honey tasted and smelled of cow ****.
Not being a beekeeper at that time I put it down to bad storage conditions. Now I assume it was because the bees had used the water that sits on top of cow pats as their water source. This was in an area that could have very dry summers and this was probably the only reliable water source.
More likely the source of nectar/plant they had been foraging on. Whilst they will add water for their immediate use and thin down honey, they wouldn’t add water to stored….. I think? Or at least the stores liable to be extracted.

More likely the source of nectar/plant they had been foraging on. Whilst they will add water for their immediate use and thin down honey, they wouldn’t add water to stored….. I think? Or at least the stores liable to be extracted.
Agreed, they remove the water from nectar not add to it, but I guess the smell may have percolated the nectar that was being prepared!

Both Goldenrod and Buckwheat honey can smell like this
Was the honey dark?
Yes, @SteveG and I had a couple of hives on a buckwheat meadow in 2021&2. I gave a jar to @WoodenBeam who declared it to smell and taste like pig slurry. I think Steve sent you a jar Dani? I won first prize in the 'Taste only' class at the local honey show. SWMBO and I like it.:p

Hi Giles. Yes he did. Stan loved it. Me? Bleurrrrrgh!
Well done for your win. It’s great that we are all different
I have a friend bringing me Rosemary honey from Spain. Looking forward to that.

At Harrogate show, my cousin saw some 'silage' honey for sale. The bees take the molasses added to the silage material - it happens. Ofc we've all seen bees prefer 'dirty' water too, mine will drink where my dog's pissed - presumably cow waste is rich in minerals too

Latest posts

Back