First Highland calf of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really hope it's just tucked up somewhere mate, my old mum always says to me when I get something new for my smallholding "oh you shouldn't have got that it'll be pinched" but I say you can't live like that you have to do what you want to and just hope the "scum" stay away unfortunately there is alot of scum around!!
What's the chance of finding it if it's been taken??

He arrived home at 8.30 this morning, with a split ear, where he had pulled out the tag. I have never known a calf be away from its mother for so long over 36 hrs. The cow's bag looked empty after he had a good feed. I looked in the field at 9.00 last night 5.00 this morning.

Mike

Thanks for all your support

Oops didn't read page 2 😂 sorry glad to hear he's back👍🏻

I have found the reason for not being able to upload pictures last night. My new camera produces pictures which are too big to upload. I have cropped the attached picture to make it small enough to upload.

This is the calf who is turning into a real character. He races around the field with his tail in the air, and it is now impossible to get near him.

I will try and crop some other pictures with the other cows.

Mike

Attachments

• P1000054.JPG
    P1000054.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Here's a group with the steer in the front. His mother is on the left and the other cow is his grandmother who is the mother of the red heifer calf. Just the black cow to calve now should be in the next 2 days. The number of animals have increased over the last month with 11 live lambs from 5 ewes and 2 bought in lambs to keep the triplet company as they are being fed on a semi-automatic feeder - saves bottle feeding.

Attachments

• P1000017.jpg
    P1000017.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Lovely photos ......I used to see a herd of Highlands on the way to work every day....years ago now though! I will post a picture of our foal...if it ever arrives!

Last Highland Calf of the year

I'm having some luck this week. Got the swarm out of the roof and today had a huge black heifer calf. Mother and daughter doing well. Mother a bit concerned when I tagged the calf, she can be a bit difficult but not dangerous, just got to be aware of the horns.

Will take some pictures tomorrow - too dark this evening.

Mike

Here's the latest arrival with mother.

Attachments

• P1000071.JPG
    P1000071.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Back