F0 Breeder Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Distance Selling regulations state its the supplier that is responsible for any issues and need to provide a refund or replacement. In this case royal mail would have provided this service for them if they had offered or included it the correct cover.

We take a slightly different approach. We ship Royal Mail guaranteed by 1p next day as do many others (uninsured)
If a customer notifies us of a DOA on the day of arrival and can prove the cage has not been openend, then as a matter of goodwill we would send an FOC replacement. This is not an obligation on our part (re our T's & C's) and is largely driven by the attitude of the customer to the issue. If they are shitty and demanding or we get the impression they a trying it on, they will be met with a brick wall and no FOC replacement will be offered.

So, be nice in your interactions with your supplier, you might be surprised how helpfull they can be.

The site only gives one option which I was told was a Guaranteed by 1.00 next day service. If the seller doesnt take out an insured service (which I had assumed I was paying for) then they need to cover the the loss themselves and not expect the buyer to just pay for a product that either doesnt arrive or is faulty in someway (dead bees). I found the attitude to have a complete disregard for any customer service once an issue had been raised.
RM Special Delivery, which is the only one that guarantees by 1pm the next day is automatically covered up to £750.

RM Special Delivery, which is the only one that guarantees by 1pm the next day is automatically covered up to £750.
I called royal mail and was told that the contents were not covered as the extra was not paid, The supplier said they cant insure them, I thought the same as you but it appears not.

We take a slightly different approach. We ship Royal Mail guaranteed by 1p next day as do many others (uninsured)
If a customer notifies us of a DOA on the day of arrival and can prove the cage has not been openend, then as a matter of goodwill we would send an FOC replacement. This is not an obligation on our part (re our T's & C's) and is largely driven by the attitude of the customer to the issue. If they are shitty and demanding or we get the impression they a trying it on, they will be met with a brick wall and no FOC replacement will be offered.

So, be nice in your interactions with your supplier, you might be surprised how helpfull they can be.
I was very polite and just informed them of what happened, but the response was shocking and a complete stone wall lack of any help and it was implied that I was lying, I was expecting the postal service to cover it but was told they dont cover bees and they made the mistake so there is nothing they would do.
I was happy to send any proof but none was requested as they were not interested.. I got a bit shitty at the end when I was fed up with the attitude.

Your response is exactly what you should receive as its good customer service if nothing else.

Writing as a supplier of queens, I can tell you there are multiple factors that are completely out of our control once the queen leaves us and is passed to the carrier which leaves the queens vulnerable.
We would rather not ship during spells of very hot weather, however we have customers who insist they need a queen pronto (they just can't wait a few days). Doing this can be detrimental, softening fondant and causing stress from overheating.
Not to mention the fact that postmen often ignore large red lables telling them to keep the package out of the heat and sun.... have you seen how postmen ofter put the next few deliveries on the passenger seat or dashboard in bright sunshine ?
Very often queens are delivered and pushed through the letter box into a glass porch, they cook ! I've also had them delivered into a post box at the end of a driveway and left in the sun all day.
So, you can see that DOA's very often arn't the fault of the supplier but intermediaries or the recipient themselves.

Writing as a supplier of queens, I can tell you there are multiple factors that are completely out of our control once the queen leaves us and is passed to the carrier which leaves the queens vulnerable.
We would rather not ship during spells of very hot weather, however we have customers who insist they need a queen pronto (they just can't wait a few days). Doing this can be detrimental, softening fondant and causing stress from overheating.
Not to mention the fact that postmen often ignore large red lables telling them to keep the package out of the heat and sun.... have you seen how postmen ofter put the next few deliveries on the passenger seat or dashboard in bright sunshine ?
Very often queens are delivered and pushed through the letter box into a glass porch, they cook ! I've also had them delivered into a post box at the end of a driveway and left in the sun all day.
So, you can see that DOA's very often arn't the fault of the supplier but intermediaries or the recipient themselves.
I’ve purchased queens in the past from breeders without bother in the post but can see how all these issues could come about.

I’ve purchased wonderful queens from a small scale keeper in Scotland all but one of the others have either been superseded or not up to par.

So i’m sure my next statement will open a huge can of worms but beekeepers should all be able to raise their own queens, locally adapted and breed from your best will be just as good as any purchased, probably better!

You will also have back ups if needed.

This is my first year properly queen rearing and i’ve reared enough for my own needs and extra for other local beekeepers and have a few to spare which i’ll now overwinter. No extra cost and no stressing about the post!

Last edited:
So i’m sure my next statement will open a huge can of worms but beekeepers should all be able to raise their own queens, locally adapted and breed from your best will be just as good as any purchased, probably better!
It also depends on the local drones. If everybody around is on the same page it’s easier.
I was talking to a lady in my local BKA recently. She has six hives. She was really pleased with three supers of honey she got between them this year.

Have always reared my own queens, selecting for desirable qualities. Last year my wife bought me a surprise birthday present of two Buckfasts. ( she did not know of my beliefs in local bees) . They are doing no better or worse than my own queens. One of them is slower than mine in getting going in the morning. I recommend having a go at queen rearing for everyone. Taught me a lot and opened up a whole new dimension to my beekeeping . But each to their own

It also depends on the local drones. If everybody around is on the same page it’s easier.
I was talking to a lady in my local BKA recently. She has six hives. She was really pleased with three supers of honey she got between them this year.
if honey is your thing then surely select from your best producers.

One reason why I allow my strong producers to produce as many drones as possible , to improve the gene pull in the locality. More often then not going foundationless with some frames or replacing old comb with foundationless frames ends up usally with Drone comb being drawn.

Early drone production doesn't mean swarming as I often have heard , lack of laying space or nectar storage space is more of an issue then excess drones.

One reason why I allow my strong producers to produce as many drones as possible , to improve the gene pull in the locality. More often then not going foundationless with some frames or replacing old comb with foundationless frames ends up usally with Drone comb being drawn.

Early drone production doesn't mean swarming as I often have heard , lack of laying space or nectar storage space is more of an issue then excess drones.
One of my nicest and strongest hives has produced loads of drones this year, second year queen and never shown any signs of swarming.

And so it goes round, if the majority of beekeepers were trying to improve their bees and only breeding from the best, the drones would also improve. I realise it’s an idealistic view!
The majority of beekeepers haven’t even heard of this forum. If they had and participated then a crusade might have a chance.

A lof beeks could learn alot esp BBKA steadfasts who teach the same old dross year in year out, each decade.

Before I left the LBKA a couple of years ago, the crap coming out was still the same. Single brood, lack of room, swarming issues, open feed holes , one or two varroa treatment option but mainly MAQS, shook swarm to reduce varroa etc, etc.

F0 doesn't exist it's P. As soon as you ask for a f0 they know you are a b**end.
Sorry, just caught up with this thread. Not sure what P means, as 'F0 doesn't exist'. And why does asking for one make you a 'contemptible person'?

Back