F0 Breeder Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler1982

Goitre Fach Honey
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looking to purchase an F0 Breeder Queen, I realise this should have been ordered pre season but looking for advice on where to source one from, I've looked at Melo Bees? Anyone purchased from here? Are they UK mated? TIA

I ordered a breeder and other queens from Melo, They didn't arrived the next day by 1pm despite it being guaranteed delivery, this was not the fault of Melo but when they arrived the day after My friend received them and was asked to check them by the delivery driver after explaining they were late. It was discovered that half were dead.

Melo refused to do anything about it as they didn't pay the £3 extra to have the contents insured and expected me to just pay for the loss as they said it was not their fault but the delivery company.

I received the delivery cost back but nothing more.

Buyer beware.

I am awaiting a breeder queen from Simmons aparies as well, they are AI and have a good UK reputation.

I have never been successful in getting a queen from Keld, how do people manage to order them?

I am hoping for one more breeder this queen if possible

I ordered a breeder and other queens from Melo, They didn't arrived the next day by 1pm despite it being guaranteed delivery, this was not the fault of Melo but when they arrived the day after My friend received them and was asked to check them by the delivery driver after explaining they were late. It was discovered that half were dead.

Melo refused to do anything about it as they didn't pay the £3 extra to have the contents insured and expected me to just pay for the loss as they said it was not their fault but the delivery company.

Buyer beware.
Thanks very much for steering me clear, nothing more frustrating than poor customer service, especially after spending a considerable amount of money.

Buyer beware.
That's really disappointing to hear, Marco seems such a great guy - was it him/Michaela who refused on the basis of their daft policy or is there some underling exercising their slight power? Would prefer to think better of him and was contemplating buying a queen from him but this service leaves a sour taste. Hopefully some error or overlooked pro forma in a generic t and c's they've copied? 😬

Looking to purchase an F0 Breeder Queen, I realise this should have been ordered pre season but looking for advice on where to source one from, I've looked at Melo Bees? Anyone purchased from here? Are they UK mated? TIA
I've ordered from a few different places, including an AI pricey breeder queen which immediately turned drone later after one round of brood and then was killed by the bees by next inspection, but best by far has been my BMH queen, not even one of Laurence's home bred ones - just an import from Melita - definitely going to get more and obviously Jolanta queens are v highly thought of so that's gonna be my indulgent present to myself. Totally anecdotal I know

That's really disappointing to hear, Marco seems such a great guy - was it him/Michaela who refused on the basis of their daft policy or is there some underling exercising their slight power? Would prefer to think better of him and was contemplating buying a queen from him but this service leaves a sour taste. Hopefully some error or overlooked pro forma in a generic t and c's they've copied? 😬
I found the service good upto the point that something went wrong then it all changed and they both refused point blank to do anything and said its not there problem, initally they didn't even want to claim the postage refund but eventually agreed to doing this but nothing more as they said it was the delivery companies fault so i would just have to accept it as they couldn't insure the bees.

After speaking to royal mail I found this is not correct but they failed to pay the very small amount to insure the contents.

The service and attitude was terrible from the point I informed them of a problem, they just some how blamed me.

I've ordered from a few different places, including an AI pricey breeder queen which immediately turned drone later after one round of brood and then was killed by the bees by next inspection, but best by far has been my BMH queen, not even one of Laurence's home bred ones - just an import from Melita - definitely going to get more and obviously Jolanta queens are v highly thought of so that's gonna be my indulgent present to myself. Totally anecdotal I know
Oh not good! Yes I can Vouch for that, always had great queen's and customer service from Laurence at BMH also bought some of Jolantas queen's which I still have in my colonies and are laying like the clappers, I was just after an F0 in order to produce F1 queen's myself and save a few bob 😄

For some positive feedback

I bought 2 AI queens from Melo bees and found them super helpful.

My queens were due to be dispatched on a Thursday when I was away on the Friday. I changed the delivery date by 2 weeks at very late notice and now have 2 great queens I am grafting from.

Very Good customer service, didn't have to change my delivery date but did and would of been an inconvenience to them. They did not want my queens sitting in Post dept all weekend.
Happy experience all round and will buy from them again at an affordable price.

For some positive feedback

I bought 2 AI queens from Melo bees and found them super helpful.

My queens were due to be dispatched on a Thursday when I was away on the Friday. I changed the delivery date by 2 weeks at very late notice and now have 2 great queens I am grafting from.

Very Good customer service, didn't have to change my delivery date but did and would of been an inconvenience to them. They did not want my queens sitting in Post dept all weekend.
Happy experience all round and will buy from them again at an affordable price.
There's a saying, perhaps a Northumbrian idiom but perhaps not, that you should "speak as you find", and I appreciate the balance and contrast in customer experience. Not on commission, but I think just watching Laurence's videos you get a sense of the man and you know he's a good guy - someone any of us could easily go for a pint with and who'd do you a good turn if he could, and I think in part, quite apart from the fact my queen from him has been by far and away my best of many bought in queens, you develop an odd sense of attachment to the person and emotional investment in their journey, even just via YouTube. Often my mam keeps notes whilst I'm inspecting and we were just observing yesterday how funny and anthropomorphic it is that we really are particularly delighted when Laurence's queen or her daughters are doing so well - us humans are almost as complicated as bees it would seem, though a lot more sentimental!

There's a saying, perhaps a Northumbrian idiom but perhaps not, that you should "speak as you find", and I appreciate the balance and contrast in customer experience. Not on commission, but I think just watching Laurence's videos you get a sense of the man and you know he's a good guy - someone any of us could easily go for a pint with and who'd do you a good turn if he could, and I think in part, quite apart from the fact my queen from him has been by far and away my best of many bought in queens, you develop an odd sense of attachment to the person and emotional investment in their journey, even just via YouTube. Often my mam keeps notes whilst I'm inspecting and we were just observing yesterday how funny and anthropomorphic it is that we really are particularly delighted when Laurence's queen or her daughters are doing so well - us humans are almost as complicated as bees it would seem, though a lot more sentimental!

Cheques in the post ;)

Really appreciate the very kind words from everyone in this thread! :)

It means a lot that you are happy with our queens and also our customer service!

Cheques in the post ;)

Really appreciate the very kind words from everyone in this thread! :)

It means a lot that you are happy with our queens and also our customer service!
This thread just helped me make my decision who I’m buying my first mated queen from!

Buyer beware.
Never had an issue with Marco. We have purchased over 70 queens so far this season.
i do pay the insurance though.

maybe Marco should have an opportunity to respond to such a damning post that could potentially harm his business.

As an aside, we had a terrible time last year with another supplier, but I certainly would not be so critical on an open forum, especially naming the business concerned As you have.

F0 doesn't exist it's P. As soon as you ask for a f0 they know you are a b**end.
Suppliers can't be responsible for the shitty mail service. I have paid for next day delivery many times and it hasn't happened mainly due to the postal service. The supplier cannot help this. That's why the post is insured.

I ordered queens from Marco and they arrived on time and were introduced easily and are still laying.
The last 4 queens from keld were crap to be honest. Superseded or stopped laying for no reason. I got a refund.
I'm still waiting for a queen from Simmons apiaries, I ordered it 2 years ago.

If you want to buy f1 queens they are 2 a penny, most buy them for under 15 euro then sell them to others for £40.

Never had an issue with Marco. We have purchased over 70 queens so far this season.
i do pay the insurance though.

maybe Marco should have an opportunity to respond to such a damning post that could potentially harm his business.

As an aside, we had a terrible time last year with another supplier, but I certainly would not be so critical on an open forum, especially naming the business concerned As you have.
As per my post I was not blaming them for the postal system but as a supplier I do expect them to resolve issues and not expect the customer to pay for a failed order, I was just highlighting the facts so people can make an informed opinion.

people make there own decision but they need to base this on the facts good or bad.

I have ordered from them before and had no issues, but to find that the supplier hasnt insured my order and refuses all responsibility because of this is not acceptable.

I just hope they learn from this and make changes.

I normally find in similar circumstances that shipping options are down to me the purchaser! You normally get your choice/price for delivery and any option to ensure and the onus on me to pay or not. Prices quoted often do not include shipping or insurance,
Saying that I’ve no idea how this particular site is set up!!!!!

The site only gives one option which I was told was a Guaranteed by 1.00 next day service. If the seller doesnt take out an insured service (which I had assumed I was paying for) then they need to cover the the loss themselves and not expect the buyer to just pay for a product that either doesnt arrive or is faulty in someway (dead bees). I found the attitude to have a complete disregard for any customer service once an issue had been raised.

Latest posts

Back