Clean Snow from the Entrance?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you clear snow from the entrance of your hives?

• Yes, I clear the snow from the entrance

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • No, I just leave it

Votes: 53 69.7%
  • Other - please tell us

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
I removed snow the other day and discovered a pile of bees behind the 'wall'. Had they been trying to remove the snow from the entrance and perished in the process? So I removed the snow just in case...

As long as they are on OMF floors with the board out then i leave them with snow on the landing board

i have one poly hive with limited ventilation ( park Bees ) and if that one is in use then I have to clear that one but I dont like it so it is my reserved and may just bin it next year

lots of dislikes

a)...
k)...

Thanks for being so candid, MM

Quite an exhaustive/a comprehensive list.

That should help new beeks considering poly, if this is the latest offering from them.

They might get wind of this and get their act together, or let us all know how they have improved the product recently.

From the list of concerns, it sounds as though this is the "3 in 1" poly *nuc* rather than a full-size poly hive.
I have one of those nucs, unused, due to similar pre-use concerns. I'd rather use the Pains. I've hung onto it for its versatility, but standardising on the Pains would make more sense. The feeder is a nice idea though ...

From the list of concerns, it sounds as though this is the "3 in 1" poly *nuc* rather than a full-size poly hive.
I have one of those nucs, unused, due to similar pre-use concerns. I'd rather use the Pains. I've hung onto it for its versatility, but standardising on the Pains would make more sense. The feeder is a nice idea though ...

yes it is a Nuc not a full hive, i have no problems with two polyhives i manage for the Assocoation except i made a crown board out of ply as i dont like zero bee space correx crown boards

Latest posts

Back