Using reclaimed wood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'Sawdust' Spacer Blocks are fab in the Bee Smoker
Sure they're not treated to hold the sawdust together?
of course they are - packed with all kinds of noxious chemicals to make the sawdust act like a lump of solid wood.
the last thing I would put in a smoker - unless the last whiff of it had made one totally doolally

Re the original post, if the wood is clean after planing I still see no problem - even buying new boards you have no idea what was in the surface that has been planed off!

Yes, they and the red version are the best, but they rot like any other after 3 or 4 years when in contact with the ground.

Either stack two and treat the bottom as sacrificial, or put one on blocks, and if you do that, make sure to have a central block to avoid sagging in summer when heavy.

No glue needed, they're made in the same way as sawdust briquettes and pellets, completely
different process to making chipboard panels.

Very high pressure releases the natural Lignin in the wood which "glues' the saw dust together.

Perfectly safe:)

No glue needed, they're made in the same way as sawdust briquettes and pellets, completely
different process to making chipboard panels.

Very high pressure releases the natural Lignin in the wood which "glues' the saw dust together.

Perfectly safe:)
That is really interesting - thanks.

That is really interesting - thanks.
Having re-read my post, I think I should qualify 'perfectly safe' as being no worse than the smoke from cardboard,
egg cartons (often printed or dyed), grass, leaves or any other 'favourite' smoker fuel, which probably contains all
manner of combustion nasties also:(

Having re-read my post, I think I should qualify 'perfectly safe' as being no worse than the smoke from cardboard,
egg cartons (often printed or dyed), grass, leaves or any other 'favourite' smoker fuel, which probably contains all
I wasn't thinking of using them for smoker fuel - it was the process of making them that was interesting...

Pine/larch/ and cones etc all contain lots of lovely tar which produces lots of nasties (creosote?) when it burns

Ref smoker fuel, I tried rotten wood, rolled cardboard, etc but all went out or burned away before I was finished most times. I now use those wee pellets some folk (my Son) buy for their fancy "clean" stoves.
Burns well, smokes away nicely and lasts ages.
K ;)

Be careful of the 'blue' pallets. the company that owns them tends to get a bit annoyed if you don't return them.

https://www.chep.com/uk/en/products/pallets/wooden-uk-pallet
This bit of the page being the relevant part:

"Important: CHEP pallets and containers always remain the property of CHEP and can never be legally bought or sold".
I suspect that is not entirely correct in that if a company delivers something to you unasked (eg Amazon delivers to you by mistake) then it becomes legally yours after a specified time interval which varies depending on whether they are informed. I suspect the same might apply to the pallet in some circumstances.

You need to worry more about the code on the pallet rather than the colour.
I can't remember them all, it's been a while.
HT
is safe, it means heat treated, i. e. no chemicals.
Amongst those to look out for are MB, treated with methyl bromide.
That's about all I remember apart from the one time time colour does matter, if they are painted in fluorescent colours it means they were used for moving toxic materials.
I suppose the above matters more if your going to burn them, either chopping them up for kindling or using the blocks on the logburner.

Yes, they and the red version are the best, but they rot like any other after 3 or 4 years when in contact with the ground.

Either stack two and treat the bottom as sacrificial, or put one on blocks, and if you do that, make sure to have a central block to avoid sagging in summer when heavy.

Sure ! Asked the 'Oracle of Info,' named Brian (at the local Tool Shed Community/DIY HQ.) Yep : Sawdust with big Nails !. . .
Who borrowed the Pallet Breaker last. Kettles on ! Brews up. . . 😏

Sure ! Asked the 'Oracle of Info,' named Brian (at the local Tool Shed Community/DIY HQ.) Yep : Sawdust with big Nails !. . .
Who borrowed the Pallet Breaker last. Kettles on ! Brews up. . . 😏
And, if the Feed Co. Send my Animal Feed for some reason on
a 'Blue Pallet', from x200 miles away. Feel free to come & collect it. Got one under x2 Hives. Been thru Years of Wet/Cold/Icey/ Scottish Borders Weather. Still going strong. Not seen a Red one yet... ⚠️
Don't think that would look nice alongside my Delphiniums, Ceanothes and Periwinkles.
A Red one might 'hide' my dropped Red Hive Tool. I'll let myself out. 🤭

Not seen a Red one yet... ⚠️
Blue and red are rental pallets, but I see so many dumped that clearly returns aren't working. Blue are 1000x1200mm and I have seen red described as 1200x1200, to hold four drums. In relaity, the colour denotes ownership.

Here's an Ultimate Pallet Guide, and here's another; both have detailed treatment code info.

Latest posts

Back