Clean Snow from the Entrance?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you clear snow from the entrance of your hives?

• Yes, I clear the snow from the entrance

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • No, I just leave it

Votes: 53 69.7%
  • Other - please tell us

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Polyanwood

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I mostly leave the snow on the entrance, but I sometimes try to shelter the entrance so it is clear of snow. What do you do?

As long as they are on OMF floors with the board out then i leave them with snow on the landing board

i have one poly hive with limited ventilation ( park Bees ) and if that one is in use then I have to clear that one but I dont like it so it is my reserved and may just bin it next year

If you look closely, there is a air gap between wall and snow.

Snow is not air tight

but I dont like it so it is my reserved and may just bin it next year

Would you like to share your dislike, MM?

Snow is not air tight

Finman is right. Think about it. Snow takes up a volume of approximately eight times that of the liquid water from which it was derived. Ice only expands by about ten percent as it forms from water (negligible in this context) so snow contains about 88% air.

Snow takes up a volume of approximately eight times that of the liquid water from which it was derived. Ice only expands by about ten percent as it forms from water (negligible in this context) so snow contains about 88% air.

Ah - but so does expanded polystyrene - but you can't breathe through it. The issue is that of porosity: whether sufficient gas exchange can take place though a relatively small cross-sectional opening in a wall of snow to support life.

An important factor regarding efficient breathing through snow is whether or not a large enough gas diffusion area can be formed around the respiratory opening. From an avalanche survival site:
"Another factor that affects survival is the position of the victim’s head; that is, whether they were buried face up or face down. The most favorable position is face up. Data from a limited number of burials show the victim is twice as likely to survive if buried face up rather than face down. If buried face up, an air pocket forms around the face as the back of the head melts into the snow; if buried face down, an air pocket cannot form as the face melts into the snow."

Of course with OMFs (whatever their structure, or whether partially closed) this doesn't become an issue.

LJ

My hives have under floor entrances so I don't bother with boards in front (the whole landing board/entrance assembly is like a deep porch so looks like a big letterbox) I havent had snow completely cover the entrance but what's the point of clearing it - they won't be venturing out until a lot warmer anyway and by then snow would have melted.

Underfloor entrances remove the necessity
VM.

. I have solid bottom and 15 x 1 cm lower entrance.
Then I have 1,5 cm upper entrance.
When snow falls onto landing board, I am not there cleaning snow off.
They get air via those holes.

As I have said, my entrances are 5% that of mesh floor area.

I mostly leave the snow on the entrance, but I sometimes try to shelter the entrance so it is clear of snow. What do you do?

Board in front.

Aren't there two different things in play here?

1/ Keeping the entrance from becoming blocked with snow. Worries might be that the bees need the ventilation or might need out for a dump. If there is an OMF and the hive isn't buried beyond floor level, there should be no lack of Oxygen. Ordinarily, they wouldn't be thinking of going out 'voiding' if its so cold that there's deep snow... So, I've only bothered about shifting snow if/when it closes off floor ventilation - and its not necessarily the entrance I'd think about clearing.
A board sheltering the entrance would require lots more snow before the entrance was blocked. But I'm not sure blocking the entrance with snow is a real problem (with an open mesh floor).

2/ Bright sun on snow is supposed to bring out lots of bees - luring them to their death in the snow.
Maybe it does. Maybe the sun brings out the mortuary bees and so the dead bees often seen clearly on the snow aren't necessarily new casualties.
Anyway, I thought that the primary reason some beeks put a board (or even a spare roof) 'sheltering' the entrance was to reduce the snow-reflected sunlight shining brightly into the hive - and thereby minimise the number of bees drawn outside by the sunlight.
Bright sun? I wish I had that problem!

I put tinted glass (old TV front screens) at an angle over the entrance; keeps snow off the landing board and entrance and also reduces the light going in.

dont bother cant get to the hives up on the downs to do it.

Last edited:
I watched where hives were completely beneath the snow for approx. two weeks. After taking snow off from entrance all were alive and kicking.
Usually I'm more worried for snow on the ground than on the entrances ( cause when bees go out for cleansing flights and stand on the snow they are dead). So usually try to put some objects in front of hives or clean some snow to the ground when temperatures are going to be enough for cleansing flights.
But it is important when snow start melting to remove from entrance to don't get frosen and block it. Also when temp are good for bees to go out I also try to keep free entrance from snow.
Well, I can vote that I remove snow or not depending of situation:)

but I dont like it so it is my reserved and may just bin it next year

Would you like to share your dislike, MM?

lots of dislikes

a) poly not dense enough and bee chew it up
b) i had one get too hot on a 15 minute transfer by car...no method of ventilating . so I tried to modify it with mesh in the floor but on a 30 minute journey 50% of bees died of heat stroke even with two 4" mesh covered holes made in the floors
c) they are castellated and you cannot slide frames to inspect ( filed of the castle)
d) the poly removable floor gets propolised and you cannot remove it for cleaning
e) the feeder cover in the feed chamber wears and after a few cleans it allows bees into the feed chamber to drown
f)Black mold in the feeder is impossible to remove and due to there being no ventilation grows fast as moist air condenses there
g) it has no crown board
h) so soft comapred to a swventy langstroth and becasue no crown board if proplised together it gets damaged opening and the bees can now get out via the corners after three years use
j) cleaning is a problem but thick bleach works but becuase the bees chew the poly it is very difficult to clean the uneven surface even with bleach
K) Wax moths love it...so soft, one moth got right through the feeder lid and a Mr Yaffle went though another roof in a few minutes

and pure idiot beekeeper related one, last october i did not strap it down and it got blown 100yds in a gale...bees still alive though

Last edited:
One nuc with solid floor on decking in garden, so went out in my slippers today and trod snow down in front of entrance.

Thanks for being so candid, MM

Quite an exhaustive/a comprehensive list.

That should help new beeks considering poly, if this is the latest offering from them.

They might get wind of this and get their act together, or let us all know how they have improved the product recently.

Latest posts

Back