Blackberries as a source of food questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
In my part of the world, the blackberries are ripening already.

I have one boundary hedge which is essentially brambles, and my hive faces this. As I was picking blackberries this afternoon I noticed a couple of bees which appeared to be using the berries as a source of food (a bit like wasps or hornets).

1. Is this the case?
2. Is it normal?
3. Is it an indication of a problem with my hive? It's inpection time tomorrow, but there appears to be plenty of pollen bring taken in (bright yellow & some grey). Last week I had 1.5 full supers plus plenty of stores in the brood box, so I don't think they're starving.
4. If it's not a problem with the hive, will it affect the honey if any being produced?
Many thanks for any answers!

yes, i have tasted supposedly blackberry juice honey , it was extremely dark and acidic,

it was entered into a honey show and the beekeeper thought it was honeydew BUT the Honey show judge said what he thought it that the bees were collecting over ripe blackberries. He said it can occur in late summer if a dearth of forage occurs

But never seen it on my hives

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/do-honey-bees-eat-fruit/ and for what it is worth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ryx9TL3C4E

Last edited:
Thanks for that Muswell. I know that forage has been in short supply, as, like the rest of mainland Europe, we have had a very hot month so not only have most sources flowering earlier than normal, what is left has probably stopped producing nectar. Therefore it is entirely possible that they were after the fruit sugars.

Hot weather was broken last week by a series of storms, and we have a river nearby, so I am hoping the plants will get a second wind.

Latest posts

Back