Are we doomed or is there hope?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Following the recent arson and thinner incident at our apiary we have been hoping that at least some of the queens had survived, but we haven't seen any bees coming back to the hives carrying pollen.

Most of the hives are quite active, even in this cool weather.

Does this necessarily mean that there is no brood to feed as the queens have all died, or could there be another explanation?

There is definitely pollen in the local area as all the crocus are out.

We would appreciate some advice from the more seasoned members of this forum.

Thanks

Andy

We would appreciate some advice from the more seasoned members of this forum.

Open them up and have a look, tomorrow sounds like it could be a good day, good enough weather here right now, might be the same where you are.

Open them up and have a look, tomorrow sounds like it could be a good day, good enough weather here right now, might be the same where you are.

Unfortunately we are out all day at the Lancashire and NW BKA Spring Convention.

Hopefully we might get chance on Sunday if it stays as nice as tomorrow is supposed to be.

Andy

I wouldn't bother opening yet. There is nothing you can do yet even if they are queenless!
E

If you get chance to have a look today go for it
Its a balmy 13 degrees here and all bees flying like crazy
I pity my sons car when he comes home this afternoon as its in the firing line for cleansing flights

If you find you have lost your queen i can sort you out a nuc or colony at a greatly reduced price to help you get back on your feet
Im also going to lancs convention so we could meet up .....

Fingers crossed she is still in there and laying well

I wouldn't bother opening yet. There is nothing you can do yet even if they are queenless!
E

:iagree:
Recognising Hivemakers experience and expertise I'd follow Enrico on this for the next few weeks at least. Undisturbed they might be ok, simply not bringing in observable pollen. Disturbed they might be at a disadvantage and you can't do much about it until queens become available.

If you get chance to have a look today go for it
Its a balmy 13 degrees here and all bees flying like crazy

The bees in question belong to another Beek on our apiary, and I think she may be going to have a quick look this afternoon..

Im also going to lancs convention so we could meet up .....

That would be good - how will we recognise each other though?

Standing under the clock holding a copy of the Times and a red carnation ? :)

Andy

The bees in question belong to another Beek on our apiary, and I think she may be going to have a quick look this afternoon..

I've sat next to the hives and have seen pollen go in at 2 of mine. Nic reckons he was able to see pollen at a third but I didn't.
Two colours of yellow at least and a pale cream.

Noticed today the piles of dead bees at the front of two of them. But all hives about the same level of activity.

Samurailord's are mega busy - looks like loads of new orientation flights making the most of the delightful sunshine!

I've sat next to the hives and have seen pollen go in at 2 of mine. Nic reckons he was able to see pollen at a third but I didn't.
Two colours of yellow at least and a pale cream.

Noticed today the piles of dead bees at the front of two of them. But all hives about the same level of activity.

Samurailord's are mega busy - looks like loads of new orientation flights making the most of the delightful sunshine!

Sounds like a bit of a false alarm. It's amazing what a differnce a few hours can make

Jumping to conclusions a bit too early perhaps, but very happy that they seem to be (mostly) ok.

Andy

Last edited:
A little bit too much is set in store for seeing pollen being carried into the hive - may not be any around at the time, could be in small amounts you would not necessarily see, you don't know how much pollen stores they have already. It's a bit like the assumption that if bees are bringing in pollen that there's definitely brood there.
If you think it will make a difference have a quick peek - just crack apart the frames where the cluster is and look for capped brood.
My personal feeling is, the bees are flying, ipso facto the colony is alive, why shouldn't there be a queen there? (usual winter caveats apply obviously)

There is nothing you can do yet even if they are queenless!

Apart from re-queen them, well that is what i would do anyway, if they were worth re-queening that is.

It's a bit like the assumption that if bees are bringing in pollen that there's definitely brood there.

for instance..........a newly housed swarm will bring pollen in as soon as they suss out where they now live.

Remember that they may be looking for water. Thats the only time they will investigate whats in the garden where they live and they fly around the back door.. I pour water on the concrete for them.

Back