2 of 4 Sugar water spray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have heard of and am trying, using sugar water spray to try and calm bees whilst it can push them down I wonder does it encourage robbing? Is it better to use just a water spray.

It will certainly attract any other bees in the vicinity which in turn could lead to robbing if you have a weak colony - strong colonies are never robbed in my experience.

Chris

Water spay containing a few drops of the essential oil lemon (not to be confused with citronella)
Aldi's stock a 2 litre pressure sprayer with a beautiful spray pattern , cheaper than chips @ £2 odd .
So cheap I've bought a couple of them before they sell out :)
VM

Water spay containing a few drops of the essential oil lemon (not to be confused with citronella)
Aldi's stock a 2 litre pressure sprayer with a beautiful spray pattern , cheaper than chips @ £2 odd .
So cheap I've bought a couple of them before they sell out :)
VM

I bought one from LIDL here a couple of years ago, I'm hoping they will stock them again - really top class and as you say cheaper than chips.

Chris

Use water.
Don't spray the bees - spray the air above them.
And with water, you can spray yourself if you are cooking in the summer heat. Instant refreshment!

Wilkinson's sell handy (pint-sized?) ones for under a quid.
I'd need a LOT of hives to justify lugging 2 litres of water around.

Some use syrup spray when collecting bees for filling nucs or Apideas.
I haven't.

Some advise syrup spraying for emergency feeding.
I haven't had that close a run with starvation, and would hope that others wouldn't either.

Water misting is the best way of getting the bees to "go down" when closing up a hive.

I should have said that mine is one litre and very handy for misting.

Two litres would be better for my health but I get masses of physical exercise as it is.:cool:

Chris

Back