New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'am willing to volunteer only if I have accommodation in a 4 star hotel but will compromise to a 3 star only if trout fishing is included ;)

And someone to watch the bees for you lol

That's the plan!! It's nearing the end of the summer here now

Accomodation not quite 4* by the way, but very nice and maids to tidy up after us!
Just had breakfast with the king's brother so must rush toget ready for my move up country to the orphanage!

That's the plan!! It's nearing the end of the summer here now

Accomodation not quite 4* by the way, but very nice and maids to tidy up after us!
Just had breakfast with the king's brother so must rush toget ready for my move up country to the orphanage!

You're lucky then ... a few years ago you might well have been breakfast FOR the King's brother ! Where do you think the term Missionary Pot originated !!

Funnily enough the village where I'm now living has a shop/shack which sells those big pots (in different sizes which is handy) I'll take a photo when I've got the energy for the fifteen minute steep uphill walk from my lodge.
It looks like from the building we passed earlier there may even be need for my professional skills over here.
The first pic is the view from my verandah

Distinct lack of flowers ... ?

Despite the shortage or lack of natural vegetation in Lesotho, bees can be found throughout most of the lowlands of the country. This is probably because of the many flowering plants that can be found in the region

Unfortunately we're in the highlands - seems to be quite a bit of forage though.
Just come back from the hives now (visual inspection only)
Two seemingly vigorous colonies, one a bit quieter but no supers in evidence and none lying around in store as far as I can see - just going on a hunt now.
One smoker - never used, two veils but one missing, a hive tool ad two pairs of gloves whick could be used to handle bare high voltage power cables.

These poor buggers have nothing, just had a tour of the scheme - severely disabled, physically and mentally, orphans, HIV sufferers, you name it. But the cheeriest most welcoming lot I've ever met. Hiking boots tomorrow though as the vehicu;ar access is dire, so a mile walk from the main road from now on.

Just mulling over the best way forward now.

As yet, no. I forgot to mention that the founders/directors of this mission are all disabled as well, to think with all the problems they have they've gone on to found and build this centre is amazing. The director, and my 'boss' if you like is in hospital at the moment but we'll meet either Friday or Monday and I'll then have a better idea of the way forward.We'll also have to decide on whether to get some supers now although the summer is rolling on.
I'm thinking of making the centre a project for my village to help support - may be a wake up for some of the sponging layabouts back home if nothing else.
SWMBO is talking about setting up something - I think Mother in law and SWMBO's grandmother are now on a knitting marathon so I expect a big parcel waiting for me when I get back to the capital. If I find out the want something urgently then I think Belinda will be setting up something to get the money out to me. Anyway - a few pics to be going on with a not so good one of the bees - they don't half move fast! my 'office' and the new view from the window.

Forgot these - the military do care for their boys out here - even a chimney on the sentry boxes! you can actually buy these things ready constructed at their equivalent of B&Q!!!!
Another of the bees and well, shall we call it the family kitchen?
And as part of my marketing research the soap I'm using (but not tomorrow just in case!!!

16 Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all! 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. 18 Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible

Pity people don't read the Bible any more as there is so much a man could learn about life even if he is a non believer

I love the place already......Except the large cooking pot :D

Forgot these - the military do care for their boys out here - even a chimney on the sentry boxes! you can actually buy these things ready constructed at their equivalent of B&Q!!!!
Another of the bees and well, shall we call it the family kitchen?
And as part of my marketing research the soap I'm using (but not tomorrow just in case!!!

Ahhh ... the missionary pots - In the days when South Africa was blacklisted by most of the rest of Africa I used to buy these pots (nested in fives) in SA, ship them to Germany, bring them into the UK, peel the Made in SA labels off them and ship them back to Botswana ... after a round trip of 6000 miles they ended up about 100 miles from where they started and about three times the original price ... Botswana was desperate for them, didn't make them, but just couldn't buy them direct from SA !

Mad times ... glad it's all over now.

Latest posts

Back