New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well had a good wander around the valley today, saw some interesting flora and fauna got a nice pic of some of the bees and, after chatting to the school dinner ladies inspected the hives. I had to scavenge around for fuel for the smoker - chipping slivers off the dinner ladies' firewood, dried grass and some paper from the library but impressed everybody with my smoker lighting skills - one match, a spill of paper and some grass and lovely cool smoke billowing out aplenty (unfortunately as the smoker is somwhere down the lower end of 'budget' it was billowing out of everywhere, and a problem keeping the lid on!
So, does that mean I've passed the BBKA basic (seems the only thing they're really concerned about.
Sooooooooooo - the bees, gentle! not one sting! only a few playful pings off the last hive and probably because the rain started. One looks in a pretty sorry state, not that many bees, small patch of brood on four sides but healthy enough. The hives have been set up on bare wired frames (no foundation or starter strips although I believe they were given foundation) and these little blighters have only drawn out four and a bit frames. The other two were much better. both with five and a half frames BIAS, one still drawing out wax and one jam packed with stores (whee on earth are the supers!)
So closed up and back to my office with only one follower (seemed more bemused than angry!) not like african bees at all - just notice the orchard clearers had been working not that far from the hives all day with no trouble Any ideas?
And that was my day - last out of the office (I'd better be careful there - I do have a reputation to maintain :driving::D) and loads of pics which will probably take a few posts to send (some flowers need identifying as well)
Oh, and they did not like smoke either (maybe a change of fuel needed), they cleared the frames in no time and were all hanging around outside (didn't see the queen in any of the hives either)

The box was virtually empty - they then just sat there until I finished, I wonder if that could be the next step in carrying BA's torch on in the search for the superbee?

Sorry I may have missed it but are they the African bee or European?

Which reminds me, the dinner ladies - the new kitchens at the centre can't cope with demand or find enough gas for all the cooking so the younger kids at the school get fed by a bunchof charming old ladies using traditional methods;

My impression, just looking at those combs is that there is no great supply of pollen - unless they are hiding it somewhere out of sight of the camera.
And although there is nectar, there isn't a "honey arch" as such on display ...

Hopefully there are other frames with masses of open brood, because although there is some, it doesn't look like 1:2:4 to me.
So, I'm wondering if the bees are winding down for Autumn? Less brood, less need for pollen? But then, they haven't got much honey stashed away at this point...

Nobody would have taken away any supers (and frames) full of honey, would they?
How long would you say it was since anyone last lifted the crownboard? Months or weeks?

I'm just puzzled because if ignored, by the end of the season, they surely ought to have more surplus than that if there is enough forage around to provide a crop...

Sorry I may have missed it but are they the African bee or European?

Well, they look kinda Italian, and behave kinda Italian, so I'm guessing that they ain't the much-feared Scutellata ... and quite apart from whether they have *enough* defensive behaviour towards interfering humans... I'm not entirely sure that would be a good thing.

Well, they look kinda Italian, and behave kinda Italian, so I'm guessing that they ain't the much-feared Scutellata ... and quite apart from whether they have *enough* defensive behaviour towards interfering humans... I'm not entirely sure that would be a good thing.

I was thinking in the terms of absconding and the mentioned lack of pollen and honey. I understand the African bee is keen to do this.

Never had a super on, they haven't really filled the box - plenty of pollen on other frames. But yes, it is autumn here. but worryingly small amount of stores.But, reports from up the hill up the road from Miles the mad Australian at the 'garden centre' that he had loads of scout bees around an empty hive up there.
I'm beginning to doubt whether they are Africans as well - twelve women busily trashing away at the undergrowth yesterday chattering and singing away, people have been grass cutting around the hives and peach trees a few months ago - no stings. Yesterday I was kneeling about a foot away from the entrance pushing the grass to one side trying to get a photo - nada, not even a curious bee staring me in the face. Too tired last night but I think a question on the main forum. (also try and get some sense from the organisation who brought the bees here as to their provenance) Not what I expected at all and they seem larger than the African bee)

Last edited:
It will be good to find out and to try and get an understanding of any other beekeepers in the area and to see what bees they have, perhaps not easy thing to do but I was just thinking that if they are European and been on site some time swarming should come into play and drones also. Good luck.

It will be good to find out and to try and get an understanding of any other beekeepers in the area ...

Dunno if this lot might be any help http://www.saafederation.co.za
They seem to be the bee farmers association of RSA.
Might provide some pointers. And possibly help with info on the local seasonal flora.

I was also wondering about the altitude (or specifically the Oxygen content of the air). At 4000ft and more? Thinking whether an altitude-adapted bee might be important. Quite apart from optimising the bee/flora synergy.

Had a meeting with Mamello the centre's director today.
Tracking back a bit,when I first arrived, Miles the mad Aussie who has been there two years doing gardening projects took me to see his (empty for two years) bait hive asking me to have a look, i just jiggled the frames around, moved some foundation he'd dumped in there as an 'attractor' and said it might be better to raise it higher. Friday, a swarm moved in!! apparently word has spread in the area and I'm now known as the bee doctor!!
But these seemingly Italian/Buckfast/Carnie bees were not supplied to the project - every colony that the orphanage and surrounding farmers have are swarms that have settled in the hives!!

Here'ssome piccies of the 'new ' bees. Also, whilst I remember, someone asked if I was collecting money for the orphanage. SWMBO has decided to try and do something for the little children out here and although some of her coven are busily knitting things for the smaller sprogs (including a big blanket) postage is prohibitive so on the advice of my project manager she's going to send money collected out to me so I can buy stuff out here and support the local economy.
This is for the orphans and disabled children remember - not the bees
PM me and I'll pass her email address on to you. On the subject of the bees, you never know, I may be asking for volunteers to come ovr here next early season to do a bit of teaching.

Are you thinking of extending your stay then?

Hi Doc, what's the usual yield per hive out there, and could it be increased if it was managed better, would the aim of your project be to make it a profitable business bringing in revenue to help the orphanage. how many hives would you need to achieve this goal and are they readily available or could they be made by local carpenters keeping work in the community, a simple honey extractor can be made from 2 old bicycle wheels and a 45 gallon drum, a start anyway

Are you thinking of extending your stay then?

No, but I am tempted to take some leave - I was lucky to be left to go on detached duty for this one with the buggers I currently work for (I wish they'd just sack me and leave me find a proper job!) - at the beginning of their next season (October) if we can work out some follow up project to see how things are going. I've had one volunteer willing to come over and help with teaching so you never know! and if Prince Seeiso (whose a good mate of prince Harry) is into the bees, i may even get a royal summons over here!!! I could put a new twist on migratory beekeeping put my bees away for winter back home and come out to my Lesotho 'out apiary' then vice versa for them in April!

Hi Doc, what's the usual yield per hive out there, and could it be increased if it was managed better, would the aim of your project be to make it a profitable business bringing in revenue to help the orphanage. how many hives would you need to achieve this goal and are they readily available or could they be made by local carpenters keeping work in the community, a simple honey extractor can be made from 2 old bicycle wheels and a 45 gallon drum, a start anyway
Not massive, but there's usually more than one harvest in a season. BY the evidence I've seen it would be a super off after the spring (absolutely loads of early forage - peaches, willows, roses to name but a few) and maybe another summer - winter feeding isn't popular so leave the rest on for the bees. I don't think better management would change much - apart from 'mine' who haven't had much honey thus far I think - a combination of two poor seasons and no one's told them about supers!!
Priority one is making it profitable for the orphanage - my initial target is five hives, to see how the forage goes (bit of a Manley formula here) so no massive yield (but believe me, a penny is a lot around here especially for these poor buggers) then the outlying hives also 'belong' to the orphanage so the farmers are expected to donate something to them for the use of the hives (my job tomorrow is to see what is actually happening).
Building new hives is something I haven't investigated yet. No carpenters of real shape as far as i can tell from the craftsmanship, but I did spot something this afternoon. If we go down the extractor route, it would be far less hassle to purchase one plenty of man (or kid) power so even a four framer may do it.

Plenty of hives available over the border (SA is less than an hour's drive) and cost reasonable(ish) about 500 malotti/rand for a whole hive which is about thirty quid

Plenty of hives available over the border (SA is less than an hour's drive) and cost reasonable(ish) about 500 malotti/rand for a whole hive which is about thirty quid

Sounds reasonable (need painting?), but how much honey/wax does that equate to?

Latest posts

Back