New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going out there next year I will donate £30 for a hive, or if you register your project as a charity I will stand out side M&S with a collection box :cheers2:

Well, this is my thinking so far - I'm going to stick with the existing Langstroths and try and keep them all fairly local to the orphanage - yesterday's two hour 4x4 trek up to Hamahlehle (the HL is pronounced like the LL in Llanelli) to check the widow Matabo's hive plus the two abandoned visits due to road conditions makes a mockery of any inspection/help. There is still a lot of interest in starting to keep bees here though especially up in the mountains and money is getting pretty tight out here so I'm going to buy a pair of leather thong sandals and recommend a bit of Top bar beekeeping. (blushes and hangs his head in shame!!):D

I think you may have caught some sort of disease mate lol

. There is still a lot of interest in starting to keep bees here though especially up in the mountains and money is getting pretty tight out here so I'm going to buy a pair of leather thong sandals and recommend a bit of Top bar beekeeping. (blushes and hangs his head in shame!!):D

I've got a spare Kaftan I can donate and I'll lend you my Beegym !

Nugget, Ruby, Pringle, Nigella and Kirsty are horrified.

Haha

Nugget, Ruby, Pringle, Nigella and Kirsty are horrified.

Haha

He needed to start off with a better naming procedure ... our first ones were Elizabeth, Diana, Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie (you might be getting the drift) and Camilla ... Our next ones ... Korma, Tikka and Massala !!

Don't start giving him silly ideas I'm confused enough as it is with Carmarthen hooligans, :nono:

. Korma, Tikka and Massala !!

Well as I he beenbrought up with poultry which we systematically named,chick,chicko,chick,chicko and occasionally chick chick for the stubborn ones, i found naming them strange although I did suggest Korma, Ticka, Biryani, Madras and vindaloo.
Unfortunately SWMBO and our niece started plotting!!

Well as I he beenbrought up with poultry which we systematically named,chick,chicko,chick,chicko and occasionally chick chick for the stubborn ones, i found naming them strange although I did suggest Korma, Ticka, Biryani, Madras and vindaloo.

Yeh ... that was the problem I had with the first 'Royalty led' names ... 'er indoors getting all gooey over these scraggy looking ex-bats ... it's a bit difficult doing the necessary when they have 'proper' names and you know them personally !! ... I put my foot down for the second lot and ... Tikka, Korma & Masala it was ... as it's my foot that has to be put down when they get to the end ...

as it's my foot that has to be put down when they get to the end ...

Thank God for men :)
I can't dispatch a chook so husband does it.

Some of my birds are named....others aren't. Granddaughter wanted to name the last two additions Hester and Tom. I said Hester was OK but Tom might yet be "Paxo" and Paxo he was indeed in the end.

Yes, the fishing is just the cherry on the cake couldn't believe it when i was doing a bit of googling about fishing possibilities in the fortnight holiday in South Africa I've arranged when up popped the website of the lodge where I'm going to be staying in Lesotho!!

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, here's a link to the website where you can view my pathetic attempts at a blog

http://www.bridgesandlinks2africa.org.uk/three-more-sleeps-to-go/

Just bumping it for those inept computer users like me who can't seem to save off a link !!

http://www.bridgesandlinks2africa.org.uk/glad-the-rainy-seasons-over-and-more-fluffy-moments/

For those of you not following the blog
Looking very Machael Palinesque with that Bellingham bag
Sorry JB
That's a hardy Test fisherman bag I'll have you know, one of my treats to travel out here - didn't think my usual briefcase 'comfort blanket' would have been quite right somehow

a lesson in not assuming seasons are the same in Africa

So, I'm wondering if the bees are winding down for Autumn? Less brood, less need for pollen? But then, they haven't got much honey stashed away at this point...
Right, inspected the hives again today and yesterday, now this thing about Autumn wind down............
Spoke to a beekeeper down Maseru way Monday and he showed me the convent hives - they harvested a few weeks ago, replaced the supers and he thinks they might get another harvest.
So, my hives - After some investigation I'm fairly confident that two are swarms from last September October time and the weakest a fairly new arrival
The strongest last month is even more chock a block - BIAS on six/seven frames as opposed to five/six last time, and they don't muck around with this brood arch nonsense in the middle of the nest here - wall to wall brood on the middle three frames loads of stores and loads of pollen.
The second best hive was still drawing out comb on five frames last month - now it is absolutely bursting. 6 frames BIAS 2 wall to wall and every available space packed with pollen and honey. I think these two would be thinking of swarming soon - well organised drone raising with each hive having half of one side of a frame towards the edge of the brood made up totally of drone brood. Luckily I've found the supers, the two are now supered with foundationed frames.
The last and weakest was struggling on two drawn frames last time (remember there's no foundation in the hives) it's getting better with a good pattern of brood on three frames and two of stores but hasn't started on the rest. Found the brood foundation though - someone's cut it down to super size!
We also pinched a blob of honey on the end of a hive tool for a taste - if you could market this you would be well away - superb, bursting with aroma and flowery flavour, you could almost see the flowers as you tasted the honey, I've never tasted anything like it.

But just goes to show you shouldn't assume the seasons work the same as us - even though you get snow and frozen waterfalls out here. Buddleja flowers in spring through to midsummer and in the convent gardens on Monday they were planting tomato seedlings outside in the garden.

My assistant, Peter got involved in his first inspection today - only had a veil for him and a pair of gloves that last saw service in Chernobyl, but he loved it and no histrionics, not even when he got a bee inside his veil - he just wandered quietly away a safe distance from the hive, took it off, shookthe bee out and came back to help me.
No gloves again for me today, and not one sting between us. I also didn't use smoke, but still, all the bees ended up on the outside of the hive - still haven't managed to spot the queen though!!

We had one called Jalfresi once.

But just goes to show you shouldn't assume the seasons work the same as us - even though you get snow and frozen waterfalls out here. Buddleja flowers in spring through to midsummer and in the convent gardens on Monday they were planting tomato seedlings outside in the garden.

I never quite worked out Zambia's 3 seasons - wet then cool and dry warming into hot and sticky until the rains broke.
Wonderful floral aromas riding around on a motor bike after the first rain for about six months ...

Anyway, when your waterfalls are frozen, and its snowing, the bees are bound to be staying home, aren't they? And wouldn't they be needing plenty stores to see them through? Not saying they gotta have a UK 40 lb ration ... but they are going to need something significant in reserve for that season, surely?

Anyway, when your waterfalls are frozen, and its snowing, the bees are bound to be staying home, aren't they? And wouldn't they be needing plenty stores to see them through? Not saying they gotta have a UK 40 lb ration ... but they are going to need something significant in reserve for that season, surely?

That'll be June - one month. work it out - how much stores do you think a standard lang should be carrying into winter in the UK?

Latest posts

Back