New year New Horizons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to source a reasonably priced pith helmet but thought it might wind up the natives with its colonial connoctations (and that's the one without the badge of the 24th regiment of foot!) SWMBO has already locked up my original 24th regiment swagger stick which I inherited a few years ago !!

Gadzooks! Only one engine! The last time I flew in a single engined plane (where a passenger sat in the co-pilots seat) was only to Belgium.

RAB

Well what a week so far. Started on Monday with my first officer phoning and abrubtly telling me the Assistant director (new pompous name for our boss) could see no benefit in my trip to the 'business' so he was expecting me to take a career break to go out there (no pay, no pension, no protection and a loss of seniority) 'oh dear' said I and after quite a few more expressions like that and an early morning drive back to work yesterday (I'm on leave at the mo.) for more cage rattling and checking all my proof as to the assurances made I received a call from said first officer (newish name for incompetent ineffective buffon) to say it was just a little 'misunderstanding' and I was being paid - including my transport to and from the airport!
So carried on clothes shopping which A) I hate doing at any time and B) is a real pain looking for summer type clothes in Llanelli in February!
So got most of the essentials - black rolled up umbrella - de rigeur for the officer abroad travelling in mufti,favourite veldtschoen checked over by my cobbler, sun tan lotion, diarrohea tablets for when (not if) I get the squirts, constipation tablets for when the diarrohea tablets finally Kick in, water purification tablets, three types of antibiotics just in case, syringes, needles, sutures,desert combat boots (good old fleabay) linen jacket for formal meetings on order, cheap mobile ready for pay as you go sim card out there,camera sorted with new flash cards and batteries, jungle formula insect repellant, my proper job akubra bush hat on the peg ready and loads of light trousers, shorts and shirts - and of course bee suit :D It's costing me a bleddy fortune! Not long to go now.

Ye gods, Jenkinsbrynmair!

With all that clobber you'll need a team of bearers to carry it all!

What happened to the intrepid hero then?
Imodium? Syrup of figs? Water tablets? 3 lots of antibiotics?

Walking Boots Chemist, if you ask me.

Man up there!

Dusty

P.s. I approve of the Akubra hat though. But only if it's well worn.

I hate to say this, but the best place to buy 'appropriate' clothing is out there!

If you haven't read it, try "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh.
And the appropriate volume from the "Rough Guide" series.

I hate to say this, but the best place to buy 'appropriate' clothing is out there!

If you haven't read it, try "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh.
And the appropriate volume from the "Rough Guide" series.

I know - but can't go out with nothing. Old habits die hard! And as most of the drugs are on prescription it isn't costing me anything this side!
It's like when my grandmother went out to Rhodesia in 1974 with all the embargos I think she was allowed something like ten pounds to take out with her. No problem as My aunt and uncle out there were thinking of moving back in a few years and couldn't take their assets. So they paid for the flights and everything out there, would supply all the pocket money she needed and when she got home would put all the money in their bank account back in Wales.
She still felt compelled to smuggle £200.00 in new tenners in her knickers 'just in case'

P.s. I approve of the Akubra hat though. But only if it's well worn.
It's getting there. after this trip it should have enough patina to make it really valuable, which is nice as I paid next to nothing for it in a sale in the game fair (that's what I told SWMBO anyway :D)

The imodium is only for long road journeys - not very nice to see a Government official squatting down beside the minibus on the main highway! the doctor's advice was 'it happens, everyone's going to get it so just cope)

Well, it gets better - the consortium emphasised that we should make good use of our free time on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Just found out that the trout fishing is particularly good in the area and the 'lodge' where I'm staying can organise fishing. so, a quick reshuffle of my luggage and my fly rod finds it's way into the case!! have to spend a while tomorrow sorting out my flies!!!

Well, it gets better - the consortium emphasised that we should make good use of our free time on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Just found out that the trout fishing is particularly good in the area and the 'lodge' where I'm staying can organise fishing. so, a quick reshuffle of my luggage and my fly rod finds it's way into the case!! have to spend a while tomorrow sorting out my flies!!!

Now I'm properly jealous !
Tight lines and safe journey Jbm :)

Latest posts

Back