Why do companies provide flat queen excluders with bottom bee spaced hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I've been taught, and I've read on the forum that my framed, wired QX should be place flat side up. So why are flat plastic or metal QX's sent out with BBS hives?

they still work sat directly on the top bars. The rest of the world is geared to top beespace. The only real benefit of the beespace under the framed wire QX's is that there's less chance of crushing bees when you put it back unless you bathe the hive in gouts of smoke.

I've been taught, and I've read on the forum that my framed, wired QX should be place flat side up. So why are flat plastic or metal QX's sent out with BBS hives?

They are cheaper than the framed and my opinion superior queen excluder.

The thin plastic or metal excluder work fine but come the end of the season the mess that can build up on the tops of the frames and not taking into consideration having to prise them off the frames each inspection is bloody annoying.

I've used both - I prefer wired QX's but have never had an issue with either, as Tom says, if you're not careful the bees can stick the wired ones down more securely than the sheet ones - at least then with the plastic or thin steel ones you can peel them away with little disruption. as for clearing bees off the top bars - I've fould if you just slowly settle the excluder down most bees scoot out of the way.
Regardless of which type you use - you still have to scrape the top bars clean on a regular basis

I've used both - I prefer wired QX's but have never had an issue with either, as Tom says, if you're not careful the bees can stick the wired ones down more securely than the sheet ones -

No sorry I am saying the sheet excluder in time make a mess and in my experience nearly always welded down to the top of the fames with increasing build up of wax and propolis. The worst you get with the framed wired excluder is bits of brace comb.

No sorry I am saying the sheet excluder in time make a mess and in my experience nearly always welded down to the top of the fames with increasing build up of wax and propolis. The worst you get with the framed wired excluder is bits of brace comb.

Got you - but some colonies will make a damn good job of securing the wired ones to the top bars, that's why a quick scrape now and then saves a lot of wasted swear words later on (which I'd prefer to save for tories :D)

Politics are one thing and no doubt there are forums for that and beekeeping is another.

The sharp end of what ever hive tool you prefer is there for a reason, to scrape with and your topbars will benefit from a clean now and again to allow the use of an excluder.

PH

I use the pressed metal queen excluders and have no problems.
Scrape the top bars off every now and again and it's fine.

i am neither I just object to politics on a non political site.

PH

When you take a wired framed excluder off, hold it by opposite corners and twist it to the left or right, that brakes any brace comb, if you try and lift it you can brake the frame or lever the wires off the side of the frame. Also be careful if blow torching it, you can heat the wire so it expands and bows, that leaves a big enough space for the queen to get through! Just a quick run over with the blow torch is all it needs if at all!
E

When you take a wired framed excluder off, hold it by opposite corners and twist it to the left or right, that brakes any brace comb, if you try and lift it you can brake the frame or lever the wires off the side of the frame. Also be careful if blow torching it, you can heat the wire so it expands and bows, that leaves a big enough space for the queen to get through! Just a quick run over with the blow torch is all it needs if at all!
E

Good tip, thanks for that.

And look PH, no politics.

:icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back