Which way to go regarding poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
millet

is that a problem with abelo landing board do you find?

think im leaning towards abelo, just wish i was close enough to take advantage of 15% discount and collection

millet

think im leaning towards abelo, just wish i was close enough to take advantage of 15% discount and collection

No they are fine. Any bees overshooting drop onto the Abelo landing board and walk straight in (same as any floor with LB or cavernous underfloor). Something they cannot do if you have no landing board as they fall onto the ground.
You could always try giving Abelo a ring and ask if they will do the discount? But you will have postage to pay, which will probably wipe out any discount.....but better then full price and postage.

Honey money.......

Trend T10 router, Trend router table, Charnwood table saw. Dust extractor.

If only the garage was warmer...

PH

A calor gas radiant heater works wonders..

millet

Looking at the Abelo hive on line I would think a very wood basic frame to sit the hive floor on and an extension to take a landing board if you require would solve the issue. I wouldn't let the lack of a landing board rule your choice.

We run with Payne's poly's with no issues.

Open flame and dust laden atmosphere... possibly not the best of choices.

BOOM!

PH

BOOM!

PH

One of my woodturnng friends made that mistake .. the resultant explosion blew him out of the door and the small shed apart. Fortunately, no serious injury as he was just coming into the shed but a very close shave and scared him witless.. a few minutes earlier he had been sanding a bowl he was turning and he had popped to the kitchen to get a cuppa off his wife. He went back in to the shed, switched the light back on and he thinks the light bulb blew and the resultant spark set it off.

Everyone who uses dust producing wood working machines should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70fZqHsEdMo

and:

A. Get a good dust extractor and use it.
B. Clean up properly after making dust
c. Avoid naked flames or sparks of any sort
D. Be aware that fine dust in a contained space is an explosive ..

and this video is even more scary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws

Last edited:
Crikey! And I’ve been going on about getting Stan a little stove for his workshop!
What was I thinking???????

I have a micro woodburner in my workshop .. but .. it's best to keep the dust levels as low as possible .. power sanders are the worst producer of fine dust (and it has to be fine dust in some volume and loose in the atmsphere to reach explosive levels .. and it needs to be contained before it will ignite and explode).

So .. good airflow, sweep up regularly (hoover off the rafters and tops of light fittings etc.) and if you are doing dusty jobs .. dust extractor something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50L-Dust...497336&hash=item3d986c3cdc:g:Y8sAAOSwPPxeIbNo

It's a good idea anyway and a good dust mask - as Derek says - you only get one pair of lungs ! I know a couple of woodturners who have some serious respiratory problems as a result of not protecting themselves from the effects of dust.

Indeed yes and not many know this but flour is a bugger for going bang. See my offshore fire team training has still the odd use here and there...LOL

If I remember rightly mahogany was a real problem wood dust?

We once had the privilege of being sent for training at Morton on the Marsh which is the main fire officer training base in the UK. They can set up anything from ship on fire at docks to ship at fire at sea and what kit do you need officer and you have three choppers to get it there.... to oh dear the nuclear flask has fallen off the train... real train, real flask real tracks... motorway crash... yep we have a section of that to play with and enough scrap cars to keep umpteen scrappies busy. Amazing place. Oh and I almost forgot three tower blocks and all this was way back then so goodness knows what they have now... Underground railways I shouldn't wonder.

PH

Indeed yes and not many know this but flour is a bugger for going bang. See my offshore fire team training has still the odd use here and there...LOL

If I remember rightly mahogany was a real problem wood dust?

PH

Yes ... mahogany (not that you get much real mahogany these days) and other fine grained hardwoods are the worst offenders for producing fine dust - stands to reason really .. fine grain and hardwood - bound to be fine dust ! It's also a wood that causes a lot of people respiratory irritation .. Yew is another offender.

I think you are right - it continues to amaze me that so few people know enough about the effects of dust. It is only in relatively recent years that woodturners (and other woodworkers) have been made aware of the health dangers associated with unprotected exposure to dust in general - and as for the explosive possibilities - still virtually ignored by many hobbyist wood workers.

Yet .. back in the industrial revolution cotton mill owners were well aware that dust in cotton mills was a huge problem and young children were employed (6 & 7 year olds) to dart around between the gins to collect up the dust and cotton fibres - sadly, many of these children suffered massive injuries and death as a result of crush injuries when they didn't move fast enough - the mills were not stopped - the children would dart in and out of the weaving loom carriages as they move back and fro over the floor. There is also evidence of early death from lung related problems .. children appeared to have been an expendable commodity in those times.

Dust explosions continue to be a problem .. Bosley Mill, Cheshire 2015 .. Four people killed and a three storey building totally destroyed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50631845

Yes ... mahogany (not that you get much real mahogany these days) and other fine grained hardwoods are the worst offenders for producing fine dust - stands to reason really .. fine grain and hardwood - bound to be fine dust ! It's also a wood that causes a lot of people respiratory irritation .. Yew is another offender.

I think you are right - it continues to amaze me that so few people know enough about the effects of dust. It is only in relatively recent years that woodturners (and other woodworkers) have been made aware of the health dangers associated with unprotected exposure to dust in general - and as for the explosive possibilities - still virtually ignored by many hobbyist wood workers.

Yet .. back in the industrial revolution cotton mill owners were well aware that dust in cotton mills was a huge problem and young children were employed (6 & 7 year olds) to dart around between the gins to collect up the dust and cotton fibres - sadly, many of these children suffered massive injuries and death as a result of crush injuries when they didn't move fast enough - the mills were not stopped - the children would dart in and out of the weaving loom carriages as they move back and fro over the floor. There is also evidence of early death from lung related problems .. children appeared to have been an expendable commodity in those times.

Dust explosions continue to be a problem .. Bosley Mill, Cheshire 2015 .. Four people killed and a three storey building totally destroyed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50631845

Flour mills have similar problems...

:ot: Sorry - It never fails to amaze me how threads on here diverge ... all good stuff though !

Still :ot:, but I agree. That's why this forum is so good, we can all share knowledge and experience whether it's bee related or not and can learn from it. The absence of bickering also helps.

If this discussion saves one person from blowing themselves up/giving themselves lung issues then I would call it a good one.

PH

If this discussion saves one person from blowing themselves up/giving themselves lung issues then I would call it a good one.

PH

hear, hear.

If you are doing anything at all dust creating indoors, extraction and breathing protection are vital.
This is needed when cutting PIR with power tools (table saws, routers)
When outdoors I sometimes drop the breathing protection but still use dust/chip extraction.

Last edited:
One of my woodturnng friends made that mistake .. the resultant explosion blew him out of the door and the small shed apart. Fortunately, no serious injury as he was just coming into the shed but a very close shave and scared him witless.. a few minutes earlier he had been sanding a bowl he was turning and he had popped to the kitchen to get a cuppa off his wife. He went back in to the shed, switched the light back on and he thinks the light bulb blew and the resultant spark set it off.

Light switches make sparks (watch one closely in the dark). Hence instructions not to switch on the lights if you smell gas. I expect the bulb was in bits after the explosion, though.

BOOM!7

PH

I worked in the starch and glucose industry for a while. We had to take all sorts of precautions against dust explosions and static electricity build up.
Some years later in a different factory the induction training talk guy used to sit recruits at a lab bench with a Bunsen burner going. When it came to the no smoking rule the trainer would have a small amount of starch powder in his hand and would blow it at the flame. Followed by the comment "don't smoke". Probably not the current procedure 🙂

Latest posts

Back