What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clematis, ceonothus, contoneaster.jpg

There were so many different kinds of insects here yesterday - obviously on the ceanothus (the red flowers turn blue later) and the C. montana. But bees especially were checking out the cotoneaster even the the flowers are still very small buds.

Inside all of this (see the painted planks) is my one time bee shed, now used exclusively for an observation hive. I'll be starting it again in a couple of weeks.

I am really fed up with this rain. It looks like the bees might get a couple of days on the dandelions but the next two weeks looks dire. Hawthorn on its way but that will give nothing. The bigger colonies are running on vapour! Had to put store frames in and the ones with no room will need syrup.

I am really fed up with this rain. It looks like the bees might get a couple of days on the dandelions but the next two weeks looks dire. Hawthorn on its way but that will give nothing. The bigger colonies are running on vapour! Had to put store frames in and the ones with no room will need syrup.

It's fairly windy here, but dry and sunny-ish. Looking at the satellite imagery suggests that we might just have had a lucky gap in the clouds, but perhaps some clear sky is heading your way this afternoon?

I am equally sick of the rain. At home it's only in the last few days that it's been possible to walk around outside without sinking into the mud and even then it's not dry everywhere.

James

I was just pleased that the forecast showed zero snow risk……🤯
One must be grateful for small mercies.
270B01EB-518B-44C3-B810-C95D5785145E.jpeg

It's fairly windy here, but dry and sunny-ish. Looking at the satellite imagery suggests that we might just have had a lucky gap in the clouds, but perhaps some clear sky is heading your way this afternoon?

I am equally sick of the rain. At home it's only in the last few days that it's been possible to walk around outside without sinking into the mud and even then it's not dry everywhere.

James
Dry, breezy but quite cold today ... kept warm digging the holes for my bird friendly hedging which has arrived that's going to keep the dog out of my compost bin area and the area of the garden where our garden fox tends to frequent. 29 Holes done - another 34 to go. Hard work in the Fareham clay with flints - had to resort to my concrete breaker with a spade bit on it to break up the ground before the post hole spade ! Tried petrol post hole augers in the past but the roots and flints render them useless. Think I may have overdone it as my right bicep is giving me grief now I've stopped.

The hedge will be a lovely mix of stuff good for pollinators and the birds in the garden (when it has grown of course !).
  • Wild Privet - Ligustrum vulgare - white flowers, black berries
  • Hazel - Corylus avellana - catkins in February, fresh green leaves, nuts in autum
  • Cherry Plum - Prunus cerasifera - white blossom on dark bark
  • Guelder Rose - Viburnum opulus - lace-cap flowers, redcurrant looking berries
  • Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa - fluffy white blossom, black autumn berries
  • Scotch Rose - Rosa pimpinellifolia - single white roses, red rose hips in autumn
  • Elderflower - Sambucus nigra - lacy white flowers, maroon berries
  • Crabapple - Malus sylvestris - stunning pink blossom, crab-apples in autumn
  • Wild Pear - Pyrus communis - Lovely blossom followed by bird-friendly (i.e. tart) fruit.
  • Buckthorn Alder - Rhamnus frangula - produces red berries in the spring that mature and darken to almost black in autumn (Thrushes love them).
  • Myrobalan Plum (Prunus cerasifera)
  • Spindle Or Spindleberry (Euonymus europaeus)
  • Hornbeam (Carpinus betulus)

Buckthorn Alder - Rhamnus frangula - produces red berries in the spring that mature and darken to almost black in autumn (Thrushes love them).
We have mature shrubs dotted about. They flower from May to the end of September here with blossom and fruit at the same time. Bess are on them all day

Never seen bees collecting pollen from Stitchwort before
Needs must when there isnt that much about I suppose. They were on my pear blossom yesterday and thought that was always a last resort.

Dry, breezy but quite cold today ... kept warm digging the holes for my bird friendly hedging which has arrived that's going to keep the dog out of my compost bin area and the area of the garden where our garden fox tends to frequent. 29 Holes done - another 34 to go. Hard work in the Fareham clay with flints - had to resort to my concrete breaker with a spade bit on it to break up the ground before the post hole spade ! Tried petrol post hole augers in the past but the roots and flints render them useless. Think I may have overdone it as my right bicep is giving me grief now I've stopped.

The hedge will be a lovely mix of stuff good for pollinators and the birds in the garden (when it has grown of course !).
  • Hazel - Corylus avellana - catkins in February, fresh green leaves, nuts in autum
  • Scotch Rose - Rosa pimpinellifolia - single white roses, red rose hips in autumn
  • Wild Pear - Pyrus communis - Lovely blossom followed by bird-friendly (i.e. tart) fruit.
  • Buckthorn Alder - Rhamnus frangula - produces red berries in the spring that mature and darken to almost black in autumn (Thrushes love them).
That’s a lovely mix. I’m thinking of doing something similar on one boundary - where did you source them from Phillip?

That’s a lovely mix. I’m thinking of doing something similar on one boundary - where did you source them from Phillip?
They came from two sources - Ashridge:

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/

and Glebe Farm Hedging

https://www.glebefarmhedging.co.uk/

They were a bare root mix (really good value) but it's getting a bit late for bare root supply now - Ashridge have virtually sold out but Glebe Farm still appear to be listing quite a few of what I have. I can recommend both companies - Glebe Farm were particularly impressive - quick delivery and even phoned up to make sure someone would be available to receive the delivery as they wanted to make sure they were not left in the box for too long.

https://www.glebefarmhedging.co.uk/product-category/bare-root-hedging-¦-hedging-whips/

PS: Just had a look at both sites and the stock is now very limited - you may have to plan for November.

Last edited:
I've had quite a few trees from Ashridge and they've generally been pretty good. I bought some bare root raspberries from them year before last though and not a single one grew. Bought from elsewhere this year and even the ones I really wasn't sure about have burst into life.

James

One of the toughest trees here in drought is actually the English Oak and to a lesser extent the Hawthorn. The oak surprises me, as they don't look to me like something that would be drought hardy.
I guess a tree that can live for 300 years needs to cope with some exceptional years!
They say an oak grows for 100yrs, lives for 100yrs, and dies for 100yrs.

One of our best fruits is the myrobalan plum. Thanks to you I now know what it is called. Luscious red fruits, sweet to eat, freezes well, cooks up nicely. Bees love the early blossom. Grow it as a tree.
We have all the trees you have bought. Watch out for web spinning caterpillar of the ermin moth on the spindle. They are harmless but they decimate the tree.

One of our best fruits is the myrobalan plum. Thanks to you I now know what it is called. Luscious red fruits, sweet to eat, freezes well, cooks up nicely. Bees love the early blossom. Grow it as a tree.
We have all the trees you have bought. Watch out for web spinning caterpillar of the ermin moth on the spindle. They are harmless but they decimate the tree.
Thanks Eric ...it's going to be a hedge with trees ... I've spaced it so that the Plum, crab apple and wild pear are left to grow above the more traditional hedging plants. Whether we will still be here or hindering you down on the Somerset levels remains to be seen but the hedge and gates have put another couple of grand on the value of the house so someone will get the benefit of it eventually. :)

Back