What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
First genuinely pleasant day to be outside in ages. Honey bees on the cherry trees, dandelions and currants. They even showed an interest in me for a while, but obviously decided that I'm not sweet enough. And bumble bees appear to prefer gooseberries.

James

I finished my spring cleanout and started feeding with sugar syrup this past Tuesday. Dandelions, fruit trees, maple trees, and lots of misc. groundcover are flowering now in Michigan. Bees are bringing in a lot of pollen. Five of my Hive made it over the winter and are growing great!

I finished my spring cleanout and started feeding with sugar syrup this past Tuesday. Dandelions, fruit trees, maple trees, and lots of misc. groundcover are flowering now in Michigan. Bees are bringing in a lot of pollen. Five of my Hive made it over the winter and are growing great!
So why are you feeding??

Does make one wonder why feeding is taking place , when it appears fresh nectar is available. Any nectar being stored will be contaminated and not viable as a potential honey.

I've been away in the wet and windy NW (working creals for langoustines in Loch Linnhe) during the recent warm spell in the SE (and elsewhere). Back home now, in time to see the apple flowering (2-3 weeks earlier than last year). My bees are in a varied private orchard (looking glorious) on the far side of this 'apple production facility'. It's not every year the weather is right for the bees to work the flowers; this feels more like the exception than the rule. Hardly surprising as it all happens so quickly.

Attachments

• ResizerImage1399X1053.jpg
    ResizerImage1399X1053.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 0
So why are you feeding??
Well, I live in Michigan and the flowers I mentioned are just starting. Also, temperatures are regularly dipping down to temperatures where the bees cannot fly. I have not ever gotten enough honey this early to be able to harvest honey and I am mainly trying to boast the population. I will quit feeding soon. For my location, most strong nectar flows take place from mid May to mid August.

Can you further explain?
The theory is that feeding a weak, less than 1:1, sugar solution convinces the bees that there is a nectar flow which encourages the queen to step up laying. It seems to ignore the fact that it's pollen that's needed.
If your bees are really short of food but they can't get out, even amidst plenty, then of course you have to feed. I think your post sounded like the bees were amongst many sources of nectar and pollen yet you were still feeding.

In Essex yesterday I was surprised to see so much in flower. Here in N Kent, just a few miles south over the water, we seem to be a bit behind. No hawthorn yet, for example.

Or maybe my sample is limited, the hawthorn was a different variety and so on.

To counteract my neighbour cutting down most of the trees and established shrubs in his garden, I’ve been planting more in mine. This year is the first time that my hawthorn has developed buds. They have just started opening.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpeg
    IMG_9406.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
To counteract my neighbour cutting down most of the trees and established shrubs in his garden, I’ve been planting more in mine. This year is the first time that my hawthorn has developed buds. They have just started opening.
That's the way. I'm the same. The more they cut, the more I plant!

One of the toughest trees here in drought is actually the English Oak and to a lesser extent the Hawthorn. The oak surprises me, as they don't look to me like something that would be drought hardy.

One of the toughest trees here in drought is actually the English Oak and to a lesser extent the Hawthorn. The oak surprises me, as they don't look to me like something that would be drought hardy.
Being a suburban garden, I don’t have space for an oak unfortunately but so far I have a bramley apple, cox pippin, damson, Rowan, hawthorn, two crabapple jelly king, two corkscrew hazels, myrtle, 4 Japanese maples, and I am nurturing a beech seedling and 8 hawthorn cuttings.

Latest posts

Back