What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve. made several bee vacs over the years but only ever use them for cut outs as I’ve never had a problem getting swarms to go into a box.

One needs a slightly deeper/taller collection bin for the hoover , mine is a fermenting bin & inside somewhere for the swarm to cluster.
I simply remove the snap on lid and replace it with a mesh ventilated one.

Interesting... it wouldn't be hard to replace a solid floor with a sloping floor in an eke with an entry point for the vac hose. Food for thought.
Thanks
K ;)
That works, I've also tried a varoa mesh crownboard to allow the roof to be removed for travel, one with a roof with a polycarbonate panel to see inside during use, one with a roof with a slide in polycarbonate panel which can be opened slightly to regulate airflow during use or travel and a few failed ideas thrown in for good measure. Don't forget that once the suction is off you will need a method of blocking the entrance or you will have an unpleasant surprise during your journey home lol. Good clean and flat joints in the woodwork makes for better efficiency though depending on power some loss of the seal can be tolerated. Any leaky seals can easily be covered with masking tape. Cheap and easily removable without risk of damage. Enjoy the satisfaction from your own build. Good luck.

I quite like the idea of one that can vac straight into a nuc box with frames. Maybe one with a removable floor like the maisemore ones would be good (& could add a 2nd box for a big swarm) An eke with mesh in on top and then the vacuum, and a floor with a sloping entrance for the bee hose entry.
Hmm... I have the boxes....

I quite like the idea of one that can vac straight into a nuc box with frames. Maybe one with a removable floor like the maisemore ones would be good (& could add a 2nd box for a big swarm) An eke with mesh in on top and then the vacuum, and a floor with a sloping entrance for the bee hose entry.
Hmm... I have the boxes....
I went to a talk at the Wales spring convention many years ago and he'd made one from a car heater air circulation unit which clipped beneath a five frame nuc with a mesh floor, operated off a 12 volt battery, he fitted a rheostat to the fan so be could increase/reduce the suction. the first length of pipe was just a standard flexible vacuum cleaner pipe, but to collect awkward swarms or ones at height he just connected lengths of 40mm PVC pipes to it and ramped up the suction - the highest he said he'd collected was in a tree over thirty feet up.

I used the fermenting bin because is is lightweight and highly portable, once one starts to get into floors, BB's , roofs ,covers etc then things start getting bulky and heavy . Tbh like any swarm it's simply best to just collect them up and them dump them in to a hive where ever that may be.

I have a Mk2 now... used an existing Nuc and eke ( probably need to make a deeper one).
I moved the wooden plate with all the ports over from my bucket lid onto a new Nuc sized crown board with holes cut as required ( so the plate is interchangeable). It's a bit heavier than the bucket but not bad and it means the bees will be straight into their new home.
Picture to follow...
K ;)

I used the fermenting bin because is is lightweight and highly portable, once one starts to get into floors, BB's , roofs ,covers etc then things start getting bulky and heavy . Tbh like any swarm it's simply best to just collect them up and them dump them in to a hive where ever that may be.
That's why I was hoping to collect a swarm as you say then hoover up the stragglers with my device.
K ;)

By coincidence yesterday I decided to dismantle a vacuum that we have in the workshop. It is usually plugged into the chopsaw but has become very unreliable of late. I suspected damaged wiring, but testing it properly revealed that the power switch wasn't working. I pulled it out and ordered a replacement because I couldn't find a spare that I know I have somewhere and then on a whim decided to dismantle the switch. It wasn't working because it was full of sawdust, which I guess makes it a fire hazard too. When I reassemble it I shall fashion some sort of cover to keep the sawdust out.

James

gentlemen! gentlemen! (I use the term loosely) you do realise that you are in danger of excommunication - I'm sure that according to BBKA dogma swarms have to be collected in skeps!!

gentlemen! gentlemen! (I use the term loosely) you do realise that you are in danger of excommunication - I'm sure that according to BBKA dogma swarms have to be collected in skeps!!
How can you get a swarm or cast into a skep using a Eubank push - pull carpet sweeper ? Dead easy, just call the house maid...................... we beekeepers are so inventive!!

You will like the double nuc / resource hive setup. I typically drop 2 swarms in them and let them build up to 4 over 4 then a Queen excluder and super them in common. I have had them draw and fill 3-4 supers.
I already run something similar but thought I would try Mike’s method this year.

Back