What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I have no bees yet I have been working on and almost finished making a double brood National nuc. I have also almost finished a Warre style topbar hive. I intend to run National hives but I also wanted to try a topbar hive of some type. Besides making some items myself I have recently purchased a National poly hive that I got a very good deal on.

Painted my celotex 5 frame Lang jumbo nuc using Dulux taster 250ml masonry paint and mini roller. Completed including masking edges in 15 minutes. (Half tin left - only one coat)

Looks quite fetching in ivy green..more like grey

Total cost of nuc including paint and glue £5..

Edit: cleaning tray and roller took longer - almost..

I gave the grass in my back garden a lovely green hue with Forest green fence life while spraying 4 stacks of supers and brood boxes. I still have another 50 supers to go.

Made another poly nuc.

Damp and dreary here so spent my time between cups of tea indoors and putting together a load of super frames for the association apiary. usually get plenty after the beginners classes but this year the students are mostly female and (Redwood's words not mine) you cannot teach a grown woman how to use a hammer :D.

Damp and dreary here so spent my time between cups of tea indoors and putting together a load of super frames for the association apiary. usually get plenty after the beginners classes but this year the students are mostly female and (Redwood's words not mine) you cannot teach a grown woman how to use a hammer :D.
That could be classed a sexist but not incorrect :D , now if a hoover or dishwasher or similar house hold appliances where mentioned instead of a hammer i would disagree . :rolleyes:

Using a hammer to make frames is so 19th century. A nailgun is far easier and quicker

A lot easier than trying to hold the nail with a finger missing as well !!! ..Long memories on here ..:icon_204-2::sorry:

That is so unfair to 9.33 fingered people.. WACIST!:icon_204-2:

Cheap mini nucs

If you have one of these £7 or £8 mini (mating) nucs and are frustrated that there isn't a clear inner cover aka Apideas.
One quick solution is to get an A4 laminate sheet and pass it through the laminator without anything between the sheets. This produces a clear firm but flexible inner cover that can be cut to size and a hole drilled in the centre to take a queen cell.
These mini nucs have indents in the side wall which allow the elastic bands to hold the cover in place and not obstruct the closure of the lid.
image.jpg

women do get use to using hammers, wife nearly got me last week so she is getting better :)

Back