What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad things are looking up, Im still waiting for a temperature of 13 degrees with little wind; fat chance of that with another storm rolling in on Saturday. I think thats 11 storms in six months this year. :hairpull:
I know how you feel, we have 56mph winds here, if we had any blossom on our trees it would be blown away 💨.
Staying indoors making wildflower seed bombs 😂

Having inspected the out apiary colony again and had followers again :rolleyes: (for 100 yards back to the car), I have ordered a queen from @Black Mountain Honey. This hive was ok-ish last year but seem to be more tetchy this year for some reason, so will despatch Queen Bridget and requeen if they don't improve, or if they do, make a split.

Best of the luck with the introduction. Let me know how she

Will do! She’s scheduled to arrive mid month so hopefully I’ll know if

this colony needs requeening or not!
We have a queen from Lawrence being shipped Wednesday, really excited, think one hive is queen less if not a testy queen is going to be replaced

Had a quick look at the last hive I haven't inspected this year in my mates garden. 10 frames BIAS and a very good amount of fresh nectar. Added a super.
So I took 29 colonies and 6 nucs into winter and came out with 26 colonies and all 6 nucs. The 3 failures were 2 x queen failure and 1 x nosema. Gonna need more kit -again!

Next couple days we will have around 30C ( 29-31) day temps.. Unusually very dry and hot for this time of year.. Seems we are on the way to become Sahara.. All is about month earlier than normal.. We lost seasons and got violent storms, extreme weather conditions, etc..
Found today bee with Cordyceps, reacted faster this time and put her out of her misery. Took a pic, but my phone doesn't make good pics..

Bees have been collecting some nector this past week between the rain and the wind which is good. I will inspect today if the temperature increases. Hopefully the weather improves soon!

Attachments

• Weight Change_2024-04-07T08_09_50.948Z.jpeg.png
    Weight Change_2024-04-07T08_09_50.948Z.jpeg.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
Demeree is like a pagden in that the bees sort themselves out.
Young bees go up and the older ones down.
Or I should have simply said the flying bees would simply orientate themselves back tot the Queen which is what occurs with a Pagden.
But both ways the bees do sort themselves out and one ends up with much the same result.

Popped back and put a second brood box on a colony that needed it. They weren’t overly impressed having been disturbed yesterday, but needs must. Found some drawn foundation to give them. Queen had laid up 8 solid frames of worker brood and one complete frame of drone when I looked yesterday. Fresh pollen and nectar present despite the poor weather.

Got down to an apiary today. Didn't go poking around too deep as the winds were ridiculous. All but one of the hives had packed any spare space they had with wild comb, honey, and had raised drone brood in it. So cleaned them up and dropped QE and drawn supers on them all.

My bees always seem to produce swarm cells soon after the first super goes on so I don’t think I would make it to that stage before demareeing. Have I just got swarms bees?
You are giving them space too late. They get cramped and decide to swarm some 2-3 weeks before they actually do. If using Nationals - then 9 frames of bees with 2 spare is time to super..If you wait any longer they decide they are cramped..

You of course could also have swarmy bees as well..Or an old queen.(>2 years old).
I super early, keep young queens. Had no swarms of my own last years (but had four arrive in my bait hives from other people's hives )

Added a brood box to a poly nuc. Bees did NOT like it - they decided I was an interloper and chased me round the garden.
Normally very well tempered but it was very windy. I had a veil and overalls on: but trainers only so an invasion up my trouser legs ensued. Just as well I am (now) immune to bee venom !

Added a brood box to a poly nuc. Bees did NOT like it - they decided I was an interloper and chased me round the garden.
Normally very well tempered but it was very windy. I had a veil and overalls on: but trainers only so an invasion up my trouser legs ensued. Just as well I am (now) immune to bee venom !
😱😂😂😂
I hope they didn't get too far up!
"Take away the pain but leave the swelling!"

Next couple days we will have around 30C ( 29-31) day temps.. Unusually very dry and hot for this time of year.. Seems we are on the way to become Sahara.. All is about month earlier than normal.. We lost seasons and got violent storms, extreme weather conditions, etc..
Found today bee with Cordyceps, reacted faster this time and put her out of her misery. Took a pic, but my phone doesn't make good pics..

A couple at work say the same regarding back in Italy where they are originally from, so not just Croatia . Looks like a bit of the Adriatic is affected by early unseasonal high temps.

You are giving them space too late. They get cramped and decide to swarm some 2-3 weeks before they actually do. If using Nationals - then 9 frames of bees with 2 spare is time to super
I would say it's too late - 7-8 is a better figure

Latest posts

Back