What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO pointed out that the local food bank was looking for honey so I decided to look through my store and collect up some “end of line” buckets and blend them together. I jarred them up today, labelled them tonight and should be delivering tomorrow.
Hopefully the beneficiaries will enjoy.
View attachment 39156View attachment 39157
That is very kind and generous of you ,I'm sure the recipients will be very pleased to receive that delicious honey .
Have a wonderful weekend ,I shall be outside continuing with my roof making
John.

I'm torn as the hive doesn't feel at all heavy......
I wouldn’t risk it. I have a colony building brace comb beneath the fondant tub, but as it’s on double brood, they have plenty of space to store food.
It will be simple enough to remove at first inspection.

I wouldn’t risk it. I have a colony building brace comb beneath the fondant tub, but as it’s on double brood, they have plenty of space to store food.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. This was a split I got from a friend early August and they didn't manage to fill a super as the weather was so poor and were fed syrup from September right through to the beginning of November (when we had all that weird warm weather!). Fondant went on end of November and has been replenished a few times as we've had constant wind and rain and the hive has never felt particularly heavy at any point! Greedy bees maybe.

Yes, they just fill any empty space with comb.

We still have water running through the orchard and a few other places. It was starting to dry out after a few days without rain, but this afternoon the heavens opened once again :(

James
I was going to do a first cut but helped my neighbour to pull a weeping willow tree upright (nearly) it has been gradually leaning further and further over and was almost horizontal ...getting on for 30 years in the ground and was planted by his late wife. It was restricting access over the shared area of our close and either had to be cut down or pulled upright. It had been sorely neglected and there was two tonne bags of dead wood we removed . Then two hours of pushing, pulling and bracing and it's now up to about 75 degrees - I finally finished about 7.00pm having incinerated all the deadwood - my fitbit tells me 11000 steps and just under 4000 calories - my arms and back rather confirm it ! I was hoping to get the grass cut but ran out of time and energy ... now it's been hissing down so that's probably put paid to it tomorrow. It's going to be ankle high at this rate ....

View attachment 39159
Have been making slimline bait hives.
Meet the Baitinator 3000. Around 35ltrs volume. Takes 5 brood frames with lots of open space underneath.
Comes in a variety of options, including a 40 ltr version.
Made of scraps of wood scavenged with permission from skips.

Success with a prototype in the video.
I have a similar design in cedar.
IMG_2815.jpeg

I have a similar design in cedar.
View attachment 39166
She's a beauty.
Have you had an opportunity to test it or a similar one?
I tried black felt on some nucs I made but found they cooked in the summer sun. I may paint the rooves white or switch to outdoor paint in place of the felt.

She's a beauty.
I tried black felt on some nucs I made but found they cooked in the summer sun. I may paint the rooves white or switch to outdoor paint in place of the felt.
If the roof has some insulation it will prevent the absorption to a greater degree
John

She's a beauty.
I make my roof coverings from 18” DPC and haven’t had a problem with overheating but my latest roofs do have 1” PIR in them.

Helped two beekeepers move hives from a beginner beekeeper who is moving to the US. The hives were Langstroth, making it ideal for one beekeeper, but will need a piece of ply for the other beekeeper using Nationals.

Quick check yesterday. All hives flying, small amount of fondant left on each hive, considering moving to surup - it’s looking warmer over next two weeks but still long time till dandelions are out….

Quick check yesterday. All hives flying, small amount of fondant left on each hive, considering moving to surup - it’s looking warmer over next two weeks but still long time till dandelions are out….
I’m stimulative feeding thick syrup on strong colony’s, a little bit at a time they won’t store it but use it for brood rearing pollen frames will get added in a weeks time.
I have around 800acres of osr IMG_2882.jpegIMG_2883.jpeg

Latest posts

Back