What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to visit one hive today to deal with the Apivar strips. The bees have been very calm all Summer, but weren't best pleased to have the roof taken off today. Not bad-tempered, but certainly not laid back. It's been a relatively sunny day and they were still active with some workers bringing in hefty loads of pollen. Not from the dandelions that were flowering in the field adjacent to the apiary, but clearly they'd found a decent source somewhere.

Jarred up another 250 jars for a client. While doing it a bee fell into the filter above the hopper of the jarring machine. The bee managed to get itself out so I felt I should give her another chance by popping her into a nuc I have in the garden. When I placed her at the entrance a bee came out and ushered her in whilst cleaning up her honey soaked body.

Popped to one of my sites today and pulled out the feeders and replaced with celotex.
Mouseguards on the hives I haven't got around to putting on underfloor entrances.
Hives felt nice and heavy with plenty of activity in the sunshine.
Another 2 sites to sort out in the next couple of days.

Then I have a new site offered to me which I'm hoping to get to next weekend and start clearing it out.

Yesterday and today, I had a short notice request to move my apiary from one site to a new site 0.4 miles away. The result moved half yesterday and the rest today. Half released at the new site yesterday late evening and the other half closed in until moved to the new site today. The old site was totally free of returning bees to their original site at 5.30pm. On both occasions the bees performed orientation flights.

Put shallow ekes & fondant on all the home hives. Shook out a queenless nuc and left the bees to beg their way into the other colonies in the sunshine.
Bees were busy flying in the warmth but there is precious little forage now the ivy has gone over.

Girly we’re busy yesterday some good amounts of ivy pollen coming in from the ivy .
I fed 12 15kg boxes of fondant and I think everything is feeling a good weight .
I’ve left 12 supers of heather honey for some strong single brood colony’s here’s one of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.mov
    12.5 MB
Removed empty English feeder from my one double brood colony and gave them half a dozen partially capped frames above the crownboard in a super. Spare super frames that I can't extract. Boy were they unhappy at being disturbed. Wearing a jacket they went up the back and in at the sleeves. Stinging around the cuffs.
Hoping they will take honey down. Maybe better if I nadir under brood boxes. ?

Good Lord! Out of interest (being of a mercenary disposition) how much is a super of heather honey worth in £?
and heather doesn't make a very good winter feed anyway - Murray Macgregor has warned more than once.

Good Lord! Out of interest (being of a mercenary disposition) how much is a super of heather honey worth in £?
There not quite all heather honey there is ivy and fondant mixed in I should of been clearer some are only 9 frames reduced .
The colony’s I’ve left supers I’ve removed second supers of heather from they need the supers.

£20 a lb for pure heather honey
To date my colony’s have been ok wintering with heather mixed stores.

Latest posts

Back