What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah but this is brilliant. No wires. No leisure battery to lug around. I can’t justify the cost at all! But I don’t have any other hobbies apart from knitting 😉
And the absolutely brilliant bit of engineering is the automatic OA dispenser - I've got Argyle Enterprises design team working on a cheapo knock off version of the dispenser for the mere mortals who can't afford £35 ... it has to be better than weighing out 2.5gms, putting the measured dose into a container and then tipping it into the gasvap or varrox. Watch this space ....

And the absolutely brilliant bit of engineering is the automatic OA dispenser - I've got Argyle Enterprises design team working on a cheapo knock off version of the dispenser for the mere mortals who can't afford £35 ... it has to be better than weighing out 2.5gms, putting the measured dose into a container and then tipping it into the gasvap or varrox. Watch this space ....
For the sublimox you need something the dimension of the cup with a plunger to tamp down the Oxalic. I used around 3g for the big boxes and squashed down the powder

Presume it’s fine to use a bit more than the 2.5 grams, just as long as you don’t use any less? I always put a bit extra in….rightly or wrongly

Presume it’s fine to use a bit more than the 2.5 grams
perfectly fine, even double won't have any negative effect on the bees - when I'm loading up my shot pots, it's a fiddle to get things spot on when you are dealing with tenths (or even hundredths) of a gram so the weights usually fluctuate between 2.5 and 2.8 (ish)
even using the dinky little plastic measures supplied with the varox, which are supposed to measure out a gram I've seen a scoopful vary from .8 of a gram to 1.5

For the past weeks I have been really busy with projects and tasks other than bees. Sitting in front of a computer has taken a back seat. With the evenings drawing in, I have spent more time in the workshop - and of course, with the lights on, the time just flies by!

However, just over a week ago I decided to move the bee hives out of the chicken run!
The only reason for that is the inquisitive chickens getting under my feet when I wander in to say 'hello' to the bees. The chickens pay no attention to the bees.

I've not yet decided exactly where in the garden the hives will be located - but getting them 'Outside the Run' is the priority to then provide time for me to decide their new location

All my hives are on vertical legs, just fitting onto an 18"?? square paving stone.
Just over a week ago I started the move.
Each night when I lock up the cluckers and the bees have stopped flying, I place another paver in front of each of the hives and move each hive one paver forward.
The Hives are tightly held with ratchet straps so they don't slip and twist when moved.
However, they are quite heavy with winter stores which is the main reason I'm only moving them 'One Paver at a time' and not the "maximum of 3 feet"

The next 'hurdle' will be 'going through the gate'. Although this won't happen for a few days yet, I keep mulling ideas over in my head as to the best way for me to do this. So far, I'm considering a 'temporary gate' in front, or behind the permanent gate.

By the time both hives are through the gate, I hope to have finally decided where they will remain for the winter.

For those of you who remember me finding and removing the "Invisible Queen", she remained in the nucleus box for some time. Despite looking very carefully I never, ever saw her. Obviously she was stunted and no larger than a conventional worker. They continued in the box, with pollen and nectar being brought in. The number of bees never increased but very gradually decreased. About a week ago, just after I had started the 'Hive Exodus' I noticed wasps going into the nucleus box. I looked inside and there were significantly less bees - more importantly there was almost no pollen being brought in. The Queen was dead - obviously.
I put a spare shallow on top of one of the hives with a scrappy bit of newspaper to separate it and then rested the neuc frames loosely inside.

The following day all the bees - probably no more than a couple of 'mugs-full' had left the penthouse and moved in to the flats with their friends below!

We have a number of Bramley Apple trees in the garden. These have proven very popular with the 'locals' and we sell them at the gate along with the eggs. I was scrambling up one of the trees to fetch the last elusive apple when I came face to face with apple blossom! Looking further I found at least three clusters of blossom! We then noticed we had quite a lot of blossom on the runner beans! This is after we have spent the whole summer harvesting them. The Chief Victualling Officer refuses to put runner beans out for sale since she freezes them so we have them all the year round.

Has anybody else found daft trees and plants suddenly producing blossom in October? or is it only us?

Kind regards to you all.

Malcolm.
In the garden we have a holly bush with masses of berries beginning to redden but I noticed some clusters of flowers where they should flower next year!!

Ah but this is brilliant. No wires. No leisure battery to lug around. I can’t justify the cost at all! But I don’t have any other hobbies apart from knitting 😉
The battery aspect of the Varrox is a bit of a pain, but I do like the “light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance” aspect.
I have never weighed out the oxalic, I just fill the plastic cup dispenser twice, tamp it down a bit and go for it.

The battery aspect of the Varrox is a bit of a pain, but I do like the “light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance” aspect.
When I had a Varrox I used a car jump starter with decent capacity and could do six hives. What bugged me was all the prep of closing the entrance (which I know some folk now don't bother with) and plugging the back of the OMF inspection tray.
I vape from the top now and can do it any time of day without blocking anything off. The check I do a month later is via a small hole in the floor
You still need proper protection even if you are retiring to a distance

Gosh

Haven't posted in this bit for yonks

The day began with a visit to 15 hives I run on a contract basis in Hampshire to top up feeders for a 2nd time. All good. Then on to a landowner in Ascot who agreed the site for the Heather in the New Forest earlier in the year. I arrived baring gifts and she was mightily pleased. Came away with a permanent apiary offer in the New Forest too.

Then a call from a new trade customer confirming his order (that's 2 in a week now)

Then back home to make up a load of ekes for feeders, refill jerry cans and an evening at my eldest son's school for 6th form choices

All in all a good day

it was late in my defence. I did try all sorts of spellings but bearing didn't look right. I didn't do English Language A level in my defence
I didn’t do English language O level! I just use a dictionary when it doesn’t look right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back