What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your feeling. Many professional apiaries with good equipment are ready for sale now. Mafia dropped the prices from 1,5 USD/kg to 1 USD/kg - the level when any development is impossible. People leave this country and many don't want to return. I also don't see the good future here.
If they poison my bees in the summer again I will have to give up. Even the low price of honey doesn't hurt me so much as the piles of dead bees.

What is this method?

The method - going into forage without queen basically ( it simulate colony which swarmed), there are many variations and adaptations. To not forget strength for next forage will drop some. For me only honey which have some market value is black locust, so I can go this way.

At my place.. is like middle of March.. If such weather continue.. we could really have first ( swarm) queens on 1st April. But politicians assure us there is no climate changes, so I don't have to worry much..
Anyway bees are roaring across area for days. First they exploited lofty amount of hazel pollen and now meadow ( dead nettle, common field-speedwell, etc..). Cornel start to open flowers and significant nectar source will be available, watching Goat Willow will start soon and if such weather continue.. I will have to start to work with frames a month earlier than ever..
Hail, Queen Asphyxia, Supreme Mistress of the Universe..

Since then, bees didn't stop..Cornel is actual, goat willow opened and now if this weather continue.. I would be able to see white comb earlier than ever.. I didn't gave 2nd batch of fondants.. will wait if some harsh change in weather occur.. This give me some time to finish pruning of orchard.. now bees are rare in meadow, all are in the trees.. Occasionally some bump on me - I stepped on their route to forage, and continue where it headed to.
Today I saw first active ants this year, before 7 days saw first common hepatica open and today violets..
My face is burnt from wind and sun.. Tomorrow reprise..

As the sun was shining I popped over to the range and the castle for a quick post storm check and heft, most hives still have plenty of stores but a few had a 'just in case' lump put on as it's till winter so plenty of time to see snow and drifted up country lanes.
Luckily i popped the trusty Huskie in the back as I had to clear this little storm casualty before getting to them

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 60
Checked fondant and all are bursting with bees but nowhere to go..this time last year the bees where pulling pollen in from the crocus..this year the crocus are there but no bees..the very weak hive in the garage is still alive for how long i do not know unless we get a break in this howling wind..

As soon as the wind and rain had passed about 13:00 Sat and enjoyed watching both hives bursting with bees doing orientation flights, nice to know both hives are OK at the moment :)

Next the stress of spring and swarming!! :D

Painted a couple of polly hives I got off Ebay cheap. Could see the hives from the greenhouse where I had set up my painting area..... none flying due to the winds.

Had a gander to see if they were nibbling the pollen patties put on earlier in the week and yes they are. Very little pollen in the hives due to wet autumn (no ivy pollen) and no sign of pussy willow yet but a bit of sunshine will fix that. If it ever turns up that is.

Topped up the fondant on the nucs and built 100 super frames.

Cornel and goat willow.. full of bees.. I just imagine comb in the hives.. since I am still in pruning of orchard.. No need for next batch of fondants.. Scent of a willow in a field. Relative decent weather.. still.. Spriiing.. too soon..
I didn't take pics of cornel and willow, cause I work till dark and pics would be not so nice..

Attachments

• dead nettle.jpg
    dead nettle.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 35
  • field speedspeedwell.jpg
    field speedspeedwell.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 35
  • common hepatica.jpg
    common hepatica.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 32
  • snowdrop.jpg
    snowdrop.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 30
  • hazel.jpg
    hazel.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 31
Checked fondant and all are bursting with bees but nowhere to go..this time last year the bees where pulling pollen in from the crocus..this year the crocus are there but no bees..the very weak hive in the garage is still alive for how long i do not know unless we get a break in this howling wind..
The crocus are out here to. Looks like the girls are going to miss the crocus boat because of all this rain.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

One solitary crocus open yesterday, then 2 inches of snow overnight and more forecast for tonight. Greenhous is filling up nicely with snow thanks to Storm Dennis and slow service for replacement bits.

Lovely sunny day here in east Lincolnshire, bees all flying and collecting pollen from the helebores and a shrub in the garden covered in white flowers. The hum from it was loud.

Was allot warmer than predicted, Was around 12 degrees and at last the wind has dropped.

Lincolnshire doesn't seem to be that far south from us and we have no insect activity yet.
Might be living on top of windy hill thats doing it for me.

Lovely day yesterday 6C. Cut grass round hives. Watched a few bees.
2cms of snow overnight so that's this week's beekeeping done.. (and the frogs mating - no doubt the frogspawn produced over the weekend will be frozen)

:nature-smiley-011: Hurrah a sunny morning with only light winds, still cold at 3 degrees. I might even go and see if anyone is flying later today. :nature-smiley-011:

Ooops! spoke too soon - the wind came up and the rain/sleet started - maybe another day - /deep sigh/

Last edited:
Pollen sub on four hives
Winter is still rolling along into the middle of March here!
All that early willow going to waste. Just had a hailstorm :(

Pollen sub on four hives
Winter is still rolling along into the middle of March here!
All that early willow going to waste. Just had a hailstorm :(

Same here but only on the weak colony that i now have in the house..i also checked the small toilet roll rapped in plastic to see if it still had sufficient moisture..£40 for 10lb in weight the stuff cost with delivery...not as much as the Queen but if she is still alive and able to lay it will be worth it if it works..
I need to know how to make it for future use if anyone knows of any videos or recipes.

Latest posts

Back