What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First proper inspection of the year and my little colony is doing really well (I'm just so pleased that it got through winter!) :) Two frames of new stores, 2 frames of BIAS with a nice brood pattern, bees looking healthy and only a little bit of winter damage. Removed in-hive insulation and gave them some more frames, hoping that they will finally kick off and grow 9nto a full size colony. Left the insulated roof on though as weather still can be miserable at times.

Our first 'solo' inspection without our mentor!

Lots of pollen going in, has been for a few weeks now. Found Queenie and marked her, v.chuffed with that for newbies. Re-instated queen excluder below the super with which they have over-wintered. It's stuffed full of honey.

Watched several new bees emerging on brood frames, Hubby hasn't seen that before so he was pleased. Resisted temptation to watch all afternoon, and, mindful of not keeping hive open for too long, shut it up again.

Now, for more reading!

At 1pm we had 11 colonies with unmarked queens laying

By 5pm we only have 2 colonies with unmarked queens laying

:party:

and back in time for the boat race - happy days

Great Afternoon, 3 x Super Queens From Hivemaker going Great, good Brood pattern and really Gentle, removed Super that was under brood over winter, moved a few rubbish farms to outer edges ready to swap out late on, tidied up Super frames and Pooped Back on Over Queen excluder.
Small Terror NUC from Last season is filling up nicely - will move to full size next weekend, considering options on this colony... Re Queen or have a go queen rearing.

Looking Forward to a good year.

13C , sunny, bees bringing in pollen. Inspected 8 Langs plus nuc- Not a full inspection but enough to see brood.. (One frame removed others slid sideways none removed).
Topped up fondant.
Weak hive queenless and virtually dead. Weak nuc queenright with brood..

Lots of pollen coming in..

Nice way to spend an hour..

Proper look-in today
One queen found for the first time in 9 months and re-marked
2 colonies supered. Unheard of this early!

I had a particularly strong colony (brood and a half) when i carried out my first insepction two weeks ago, so put an empty super on the following day.
Now i am Amazed to find it half full of fresh honey which they have started to cap off.
All i can think of is the wet jan and feb might have resulted in a mega flow of willow during the very good weather mid march. Dandelions only just out and the honey was already coming in two weeks ago .
Anyone else experinced significnat flows this early on?
29 other hives have of fresh honey but are nowhere near being able to take a super.

Anyone else experinced significnat flows this early on?
8+ frames of capped honey in a super that we left overwinter, it got quite light/ empty and is now being refilled at a rate of knots. The pollen has been going in for weeks and weeks so far....

I had a really lovely hour and a half with cazmcc looking through my 2 hives. How different they were. One with 9 frames of brood on double 14 x 12 bb, the other on 5 frames. The first active and inquisitive, the second, so laid back they're entering for the 4man bobsleigh at the next olympics.

It's great inspecting with Caz. She's so attuned to the bees.

We will be at the Convention next Saturday. Anyone going?

Dusty

5 strong colonies

Took the opportunity of looking through 5 good colonies at one of my out apiaries - all 4 very strong and one getting there. all healthy

popped QX on and a super on all as 4 out of 5 will need it based on the amount of nectar in the hives. Seems early compared with other seasons to be supering !

Also took the opportunity to move the hives 3 ft to allow for more hives in the enclosure later in the year - 4 of them seemed to accept this but it caused confusion on the 5th. Luckily the sun came out and they all sorted themselves out !

S

Double 14x12?
Groan..............

Not at convention alas. Next year .....:)

Shame. I'd planned to come to the WBKA convention, but daughter decided we needed a Planning Weekend, so I had to cancel.

Selfish. Just because she's getting married in the autumn.

One day we will meet, ericA.

Dusty

Reduced colony numbers almost double. Since we are here stimulated to work less, I follow the flow..
Strong inflow of wild fruits, especcially of wild cherry, honey pouring from a frames when lean them.
Grass already for strimming, meadow full of dandelions but few bees on them. Bees are all in the forest.. Now I have to figure out how to organize these " leftovers" of frames with honey after " reducing"..
Now I will have more time for hazels and hopefully queen rearing. My favourite bee hives are 1/4 of Langs, it is really enjoyable to play with them.. I could whole day be occupied with them..

Shame. I'd planned to come to the WBKA convention, but daughter decided we needed a Planning Weekend, so I had to cancel.

Selfish. Just because she's getting married in the autumn.

One day we will meet, ericA.

Dusty

You'll just have to make do with me again :D

Although I may need your professional services - apparently there's talk that the cistificit wavers at the BBKA are calling for me to be burnt as a witch! :eek:

Today, after a pleasant morning making up frames popped down to Garn cottage to tidy up the extended apiary area cleared by Mrs T's son no.2, in readiness for moving hives down there Tuesday.
Passed the new apiary at my cousin's farm on the way to see all bees industriously flying and noticed that all the surrounding fields are a carpet of dandelions - cousin informed me that all these fields are down to silage so won't be grazed in the near future.Together with the neighbouring farms that's a few hundred acres of dandelions for the bees to play with, then there's solid hawthorn hedges on the 500 acres in front of the hives.

Dandelions emerging at last, hawthorn suddenly blooming but found a field of OSR 400m from home so will need to be considering spring extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bearhouse...interesting, thanks for the reply. Where are you in pembs?
With the forecast for the week looking good and everything now bursting, i may be putting a second super on in a day or so.
Perhaps West Wales wet end to Winter is paying a divvy for a change?
I did read in Manleys book that once in a while the stars align for a willow flow...

You'll just have to make do with me again :D

Although I may need your professional services - apparently there's talk that the cistificit wavers at the BBKA are calling for me to be burnt as a witch! :eek:

Today, after a pleasant morning making up frames popped down to Garn cottage to tidy up the extended apiary area cleared by Mrs T's son no.2, in readiness for moving hives down there Tuesday.
Passed the new apiary at my cousin's farm on the way to see all bees industriously flying and noticed that all the surrounding fields are a carpet of dandelions - cousin informed me that all these fields are down to silage so won't be grazed in the near future.Together with the neighbouring farms that's a few hundred acres of dandelions for the bees to play with, then there's solid hawthorn hedges on the 500 acres in front of the hives.

LOL...you should be burned as a witch for getting a site like that!

cousin informed me that all these fields are down to silage so won't be grazed in the near future.Together with the neighbouring farms that's a few hundred acres of dandelions for the bees to play with, then there's solid hawthorn hedges on the 500 acres in front of the hives.

Grrrrrrrr
Farmers around here barber the hedges to a whisker away from annihilation !
I'm going to ask our neighbour not to cut ours this year.....it shouldn't matter as they are supported by robust stock fencing anyway.
We have lots of dandelions around to......but lots of cows :(

Latest posts

Back