What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topped up the fondant

Mine are getting through it at a startling rate - all this mild weather.

Even the weak colony I should have united is still going strong judging by the 20 odd bees that were working the fondant.

Another local beekeeper has check weighed his hives and they have consumed about half of their stores so far.

My bees were out in force on Saturday but I've been waiting for OH to bugger off back to work in order to check the stores situation. Of course the day he starts back it's peeing with rain and I'm reduced to being an iPad beekeeper again.

Last edited:
One of the colonies seems to be using little or no stores over the last month so had a quick look through the polycarbonate crown. All OK ....loads of bees :)

One of the colonies seems to be using little or no stores over the last month so had a quick look through the polycarbonate crown. All OK ....loads of bees :)
If i remember correct mine got heavier by the 23rd Jan last year, which made folk think my scales where broke, they was nothing wrong with them though, it then went back down to 84lb in Febuary which was 3lb lighter than when it first went into winter, strange but true i have it in my little note book.

More of a question than what I did in the Apiary - I have a few Maisemore Nucs that are being over wintered, I want to put some fondant on them. They all have their feeders on, I know one side of the feeder can be removed, but I'm wondering if the bees will travel up and across to the fondant in one side of the feeder if I put in there. What do others do with the Maisemore Nucs.

I have a polycarbonate crown-board with an 8mm deep frame. I flip it over and put thinly rolled fondant on the top bars
Well, I would if I had too

More of a question than what I did in the Apiary - I have a few Maisemore Nucs that are being over wintered, I want to put some fondant on them. They all have their feeders on, I know one side of the feeder can be removed, but I'm wondering if the bees will travel up and across to the fondant in one side of the feeder if I put in there. What do others do with the Maisemore Nucs.

I have used the expander section for a 14x12....used it like an eke. Took off the feeder...put on the expander...added fondant tubs..added insulation...added a see through plastic cover and put the lid on. Next year I am going to have plastic see through cover boards with a hole. So I can just put a tub over the hole and then the insulation...to keep the bees in.

if the bees will travel up and across to the fondant in one side of the feeder if I put in there. .

I have a maisie poly nuc which I am giving fondant. I have taken the two little polystyrene bars out and put half a pack of fondant in each side. They have tucked in very happily.

Cold weather forecast so put nets over the hives against the green woodpeckers and hung up several strips of bird scaring tape. Gave 2 kg blocks of fondant to each of 4 colonies which were very light on stores (making this the 3rd year I have ever had to use fondant in winter in 57 yrs).

Last edited:
Day temp still -7C. Night temp -14C. All is frozen. Wind slowed down, at least that. But low on snow. On Friday should be " warmer" and some snow.
Even to that I believe bees started new season with brood, somewhat shy but start.

Put fondant on 8 hives that have already eaten their way through 20KG of stores.

I have a maisie poly nuc which I am giving fondant. I have taken the two little polystyrene bars out and put half a pack of fondant in each side. They have tucked in very happily.
Thats exactly what I've done. With a clear crownboard on, I can see the bees without disturbing them or lettings the cold in.....

Visited our out apiary, hefted all the hives and the lighter ones all given a pack of fondant. Queen castle that had 3 spare queens raised from the last batch of 2016 are all still with us, well I seen 3 nice clusters, popped some fondant on each.

Added fondant to nuc and to smaller hive.

Checked monitoring board for drop after OAV treatment last weekend - had produced a reasonable drop, especially on the double brood hive. Will monitor for a couple of days to see what the natural drop is now to decide if they need another go.

Otherwise, only the odd flight observed - has been V wet so not surprised that there wasn't much going on outside!

Latest posts

Back