What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to inspect my hives today, but it looks as though the precipitation will reach them before I can. There's no panic, it's just bl**dy annoying :cuss:

Had a stroke of luck yesterday after a schoolgirl error that I won't be making again....!
I introduced a new queen in a cage into a queenless hive and left her to settle for 48hrs. She was a home grown queen from my other apiary and was laying beautifully .......and I was convinced I had already clipped her (there is the error!).
Checked yesterday, no emergency queen cells in the hive and the bees were calm around the introduction cage so I thought I would just release her onto the top of the frames. Opened the cage a crack and, flipping heck, off she flew, up, up and away until I lost sight of her! Arghh!
Looked around for about an hour - no sign
Came back 5hrs later and went through the hive just on the outside chance she had made her way back home even though she'd come from another apiary and probably had no idea where 'home' was! - no sign
Having now given up all hope I decided to do a couple of routine inspections on other hives in the apiary whilst I still had all my kit out. Opened up the first hive, cracked the crown board off, I turned and picked up my hive tool, and lo and behold, a small miracle, I saw my missing queen with her distinct yellow dot fly in and settled on one of the top bars! I quickly whipped her up, re caged her (with a fondant plug this time) and popped her back in the queenless hive.
I wonder what she was up to on her day out!

Break in the weather means , I'm Going to be inspecting the majority of my Colonies for the first time in close to three weeks . Heaven know what i will find , lucky most swarm manipulations were done before so my only real fear is un-mated new queens and possible starvation.

Back to rain tomorow

Went in to a hive which was worrying me due to the new queen i put in 3 weeks ago was not laying last week, found the queen on the 2nd frame in and larva on the 3rd and 4th.

Not today but yesterday evening I went and fed the bees again. It appears my dog still hasn't learned that sticking your nose into the entrance of a hive will get you stung!

Both hives are bringing in plenty of pollen so I am really hopeful that I might have two mated new queens. I swapped the nuc to an entrance feeder because I think me cracking the roof off every day was starting to get on their nerves lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPmMSLDTI5Q

Excuse my crappy accent lol

Wanted to inspect my hives today, but it looks as though the precipitation will reach them before I can. There's no panic, it's just bl**dy annoying :cuss:

My words exactly :)

Break in the weather means , I'm Going to be inspecting the majority of my Colonies for the first time in close to three weeks

No need to avoid inspections because it is raining... wear some weatherproof clothing and use use an umbrella over the hive.

Not today but yesterday evening I went and fed the bees again. It appears my dog still hasn't learned that sticking your nose into the entrance of a hive will get you stung!

Both hives are bringing in plenty of pollen so I am really hopeful that I might have two mated new queens. I swapped the nuc to an entrance feeder because I think me cracking the roof off every day was starting to get on their nerves lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPmMSLDTI5Q

Excuse my crappy accent lol
I have never give my bees sugar syrup since last autumn, i chose the fondent route to hopefully stop them mixing sugar syrup with nectar, i'm not having a go at you in anyway here but them two colonies seem pretty small compared too what i have seen with mine, which makes me think you could be prone to robbing and wasp problems with those entrance feeders, good luck with them either way.

No need to avoid inspections because it is raining... wear some weatherproof clothing and use use an umbrella over the hive.

:iagree:

I don't even bother with an umbrella unless it's pi................ teeming it down

It appears my dog still hasn't learned that sticking your nose into the entrance of a hive will get you stung!

Bit like me, then
I was examining the front of one newly made nucleus with a queen introduced a few days ago. The bees chomped through the fondant pretty fast (though she was there for three days before I broke the tab in the cage). On hand and knees looking for a white spotted bee thrown out onto the ground......I got stung on the bottom!!!

Quick peak as the sun is out....
Wowzers they are grumpy....
Big Hive New queen, laying... very grumpy
Small Nuc (Small Cast Swarm).... very grumpy

both laying well & Have stores- Nuc still has feed on.

Grumpy bees are no fun.... thought of the day...

Had a queen hatch a day early so popped her into an apidea with a bunch of her sisters. Found two very elusive queens - they're now marked and clipped. Checked all 6 hives in two locations in just over an hour! I was shocked it went so smoothly.

On that certain day it was proper raining. like almost horizontal ! otherwise it dont bother me,

On that certain day it was proper raining. like almost horizontal ! otherwise it dont bother me,

Hence the reason to use an umbrella, makes no difference how heavy the rain is, just get the job done.

I have an old dome tent that is very light weight and no longer has the floor. It is easy to sit over a hive, do whatever needs doing, then move to another colony. I'm a bit tall, but otherwise, it is handy for stormy days when queen cells have to be dealt with.

I have an old dome tent that is very light weight and no longer has the floor. It is easy to sit over a hive, do whatever needs doing, then move to another colony. I'm a bit tall, but otherwise, it is handy for stormy days when queen cells have to be dealt with.

There's always a cheap gazebo on ebay :)

Back