What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my back in last Sunday, so whilst I can't work I still can't get into the hives whilst it has been nice, they could be upto anything in there!
Nothing else to do but sit back and watch the pollen roll in -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2dRrBpNYU

My location always seems to provide numerous types of pollen at most times of year, is this typical?

I added a brood box under the existing BB on 2 hives and fed some candipolline and 1:1 syrup. One of the hives had already 5 pretty good frames of brood so they were getting close to needing the room. The other had less, but had plenty of stores - I'm feeding to try to get them good & strong for a split later, ad to encourage them to draw out the comb. I also checked the floors and they were all pretty clean - much better than last year when they were in desperate need of a clean. Because of the temps I was very fast indeed - each hive was only annoyed for 5 mins or even less.

Moved the chosen hives down to Garn Cottage and supered each (all have new queens from last year and on 8 frames brood) just in time for the plum trees to start blooming - plenty of willow around and the hawthorn is greening nicely - that and the apple blossoms to come in the orchard (and one a few fields away) should get them going nicely. Bit cold and damp for anything else today although bees are busily collecting pollen and water.

I found where OH stashed all my bee kit on his big sort out. As it was all in one place I was amazed at how much stuff I have - a lot of things I forgot I had. Almost like having an order from thornes ;)
Dug out some shallow frames to build ready to mix in with drawn comb. My 4 colonies are very close to OSR so need to get supering.
Also removed the feeder wall from my new 14 x 12 poly nuc.
I'm going to run two colonies on 14 x12 this year. Have one jumbo BB already and nantmoel kindly made me an eke to convert one of my standard boxes.

Seem to have more unbuilt frames than I can use in a month of Sunday's.......

It was a mild morning so I went and checked the willows which where alive with buzzing, I then checked the hive entrance and the pollen was piling in.
2 hr's later out of know where it was torrential rain and hail stone, god knows how many bees got lost but I found two and warmed them up for 1 hr in front of the fire, they quickly walked back into the hive when I plonked them on the landing strip, I wonder how many bumble bees also perished as the willows where also full of them, snow and frost also on the horizon.

I wonder how many bumble bees also perished as the willows where also full of them, snow and frost also on the horizon.

Probably fewer than you might expect.
Bees seem to know when it's going to rain.
Quite a few times I've stood in front of the hives watching their comings and goings for the air to be suddenly full of bees almost colliding with each other in an effort to get back home.. Ten minutes later out of a blue sky, seemingly, there is a downpour.

:iagree:

Only yesterday I was pondering whether to open up some hives sooner rather than later (forecast was for good weather from 1100 onwards) and wandered up to the apiary in the bright sunlight - none of the loud buzzing which has been the norm the last week or so and when I got there, not a bee moving. I decided to leave it for an hour and made my way back indoors. Halfway down the garden - cloudburst!!

Quite a few times I've stood in front of the hives watching their comings and goings for the air to be suddenly full of bees almost colliding with each other in an effort to get back home.. Ten minutes later out of a blue sky, seemingly, there is a downpour.

Yes ... Love 'em.... or you start to open a hive and wonder why the little devils are so anti when they are usually pussycats ... so you close up and by the time you have got your kit together it's chucking it down ... Like JBM I look for activity at the entrance on any days that are going to be suspect at all .. saves upsetting the bees more than I have to.

Been wet all day today, I don't think its stopped raining for more than a few minutes since first thing this morning. I just closed up the hens and had a look at the bees through the clear crownboards ... all of them very busy - lovely smell of honey coming up from two hives - not sure whether they are eating it or making it. The weather looks better for tomorrow and Sunday and more settled next week so Sunday looks like a plan to have a quick look inside the hives ... does everyone get so excited at the first look in of the season ? Can barely contain myself ..

The weather looks better for tomorrow and Sunday and more settled next week so Sunday looks like a plan to have a quick look inside the hives ... does everyone get so excited at the first look in of the season ? Can barely contain myself ..

Yes, but still delaying here partly because of the weather and partly because if there's anything wrong there's nothing much I can do. I've seen no drones, so new queens will be a while yet.

Yes, but still delaying here partly because of the weather and partly because if there's anything wrong there's nothing much I can do. I've seen no drones, so new queens will be a while yet.

Forecast is for a warm weekend down here with a settled period of high pressure for the first part of next week, but after that it looks like more frontal weather coming in which is not good news ...I'd get your bee suit washed and ready as you might miss an opportunity for a quick whisk through ...

All I'm going to be looking for is frames of brood and how much space there is available (I really hope there's no queen cells !!) ... I've an overwintered nuc that, judging by the numbers of bees flying, possibly needs a bigger box and one full size colony that almost certainly needs a super. It will be midday on Sunday if the 18 degrees predicted happens and about 2 minutes a hive if all goes to plan. Minimal disturbance for this inspection ...

Forecast is for a warm weekend down here with a settled period of high pressure for the first part of next week, but after that it looks like more frontal weather coming in which is not good news ...I'd get your bee suit washed and ready as you might miss an opportunity for a quick whisk through ...

All I'm going to be looking for is frames of brood and how much space there is available (I really hope there's no queen cells !!) ... I've an overwintered nuc that, judging by the numbers of bees flying, possibly needs a bigger box and one full size colony that almost certainly needs a super. It will be midday on Sunday if the 18 degrees predicted happens and about 2 minutes a hive if all goes to plan. Minimal disturbance for this inspection ...

:icon_204-2:Takes me that to lift the top off the TBH!:hairpull:

:sorry:

Mytten da

Snowing here in Buckinghamshire! Don't think there will be any activity going on in apiary today

Mine don't Erica when I put the warmed up bees back into the hive it was still raining but the bees where still leaving and it was around 45f.

Certainly need a coat and hat if you are standing about here today. Cloudy with sunny spells...and the sun is warm...out of the light wind.
Bees are flying but not a day for inspections.
The fencing is finished around the Bee Yard.....so I've just got to find the plastic ties I bought and put in a safe place......then we can put up the wind break..

Back