What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to go and check the bees as it was very windy . Lots of trees down localy so i was a bit worried . All ok though bumped into the farmer checking on his chickens due to the wind . He is happy with the fencing and signs i put up to warn walkers . Bees out getting there bearings so alls good .

Dropped off some paving stones I acquired through Freecycle at my nearest out apiary. They will be perfect under the new double stand that I've nearly finished.

Went through all colonies.. One less due "drone colony"..
One colony is on 7 frames of brood.. I got surprised, full seams.. There are couple on 6 frames. The majority is at 4-5. More and more I see in the forest wild cherries open.. Just to weather stabilize..
Plums still holding flowers, even there were some frosts before..

I have been trying to get a nadired super of for the past several days but i believe its too cold yet to crack it off so i sacked the idea even though they are out and about collecting supplies.
I did however decide to weigh the hive and as usual i got a weird weigh in again, (and before anyone pipes up about weighing methods and scales) i know exactly how to weigh them and the scales are bang on accurate.

I last weighed them on 9th February and it was 84lb, i weighed them today and it was 84lb, good or bad i do not know but they seems to be a good amount of bees in there by the humming they are doing.

Just been round to the apiary ... blowing a gale ... not a nice night to be out in the channel either I would think.

How right you are. I was out in the channel returning from Brittany on the ferry. Nearly fell out of bed due to ship rolling. Then we were stuck out at sea for a few hours as Portsmouth wouldn't allow us to dock due to the adverse weather conditions. And it peed down in Brittany all weekend.

Should have stayed home and read a bee book in front of the fire.

Bee move

Moved my bees from their original apiary site to a new one 40 miles north into Market Deeping South Lincolnshire.
Bees now settled and flying and returning. Apiary in back garden where I will be moving too in a few months time:ohthedrama:

I have almost beaten my allotment apiary into shape.

From

ce4bc16c52e902a070f053f1fe9cc5fd.jpg

To

126315831d00f81171edb059fd8b576f.jpg

The hedges are all there. It's just the opposite view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've planted beans and raspbugs on each side and am going to net along there as well. You can see the poles. Not sure if I can plant hedges.

Thanks for the tips. Was considering some flowering current Ribes. Anyway. Don't want to derail the thread. Thanks.

Back