What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to the wildflower farm to collect 5 hives.
Strapped and loaded by myself and back on my way in 20 minutes, which was good as it was nearly dark by then. It was cold and it was just blocks out, sponges in, strap and lift into van.
Did make me realise how easy it is to 'steal' hives from remote areas.
If I had some help in the lift I wouldnt need straps (do that in layby up the road) I would of been less than 5 minutes.
Glad mine are behind farm gates and the dog and gun are usually handy when people are poking about.
Will nip on 'no more hive thefts' thread and give 'norfolk n whats his name a prompt on his design.

Making some candles this evening, just roll up foundation type.

Made a promise to myself to strim round the hives while it is really cold and no sign of bees.....must remember my promise tomorrow.

Made a promise to myself to strim round the hives while it is really cold and no sign of bees.....must remember my promise tomorrow.

Hi enrico,
I have a similar dilemma. I want to sweep under two of my hives to get a clear view of where the cluster is and when they are uncapping honey or for that matter when they have emerging brood. Best time for the bees when they are clustered or when they are flying?

Hi enrico,
I have a similar dilemma. I want to sweep under two of my hives to get a clear view of where the cluster is and when they are uncapping honey or for that matter when they have emerging brood.

Why don't you just put the tray in for a day?

Finished wrapping hives today. Started November 5, two days after I got home from the UK. 680 production colonies and 700 nucleus colonies going into winter. Looking forward to some time off from apiary work. And spending time in my wood shop. And time with my writing.

Put another log on the fire. :)

TTLTB
Little on mine now that frosty weather is here. You can put an ear to the box and hear the hum. Yesterday....after a few days away I looked through the polycarb crown on a couple......naughty naughty.....I'll let them be now.
They are fed,treated and insulated. Spring beckons, time for workshop stuff.

Why don't you just put the tray in for a day?

Yep. Tray in, then they won't be able to see the brushing and hear it a little bit less. Why didn't I think of that! No answer required to that one - thanks.;)

I think Erica meant that evidence of their movements and any debris would show on the tray (better than checking the ground I've found)

I did mean just that.

Talking of OMFs...which we were in a roundabout sort of way... how much of the floor needs to be open for the winter do you think?
Would say a 3 inch hole cut in a tray be enough?

Hey......I just made the 1000th page :)

Last edited:
Hey......I just made the 1000th page :)

Well done - but be careful - that, and in excess of 3,000 posts will soon qualify you for the pillory :)

I leave my OMF fully open throughout the winter BTW - rain,wind or snow.

I think Erica meant that evidence of their movements and any debris would show on the tray (better than checking the ground I've found)

I prefer watching the concrete over time as a record! More reliable than in and out with the tray.

The buggers are still flying quite strongly in ONE of my hives and it's heavy so plenty of stores

Yay post 10,000, strimmed round some of the hives where the grass was getting too long, will help keep the hives dry.

C B

Latest posts

Back