What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted a Korean Bee Tree (Evodia) on grave of hives burned at Association following AFB outbreak

Temps around 40. early in the morning worked with the bees. Still at the apiary burning some food. This warm weather will last for a week at least.. some young queens put me smile on my face. gave some extra frames of honey. my investment for next season.

Haven't been able to work with my bees or garden this week. Finding it very frustrating. Reduced to looking at them. Becoming very grumpy. Have honey to extract.
Maybe next week?
Cazza

I wandered up to look at the hives in the rain, as one does, and was surprised to find a dozen or so dead/dying drones on the landing board of one hive. I thought it was a too early for the evictions but after a search and finding threads on the subject at this time over the last 2 years the panic has subsided.

Tim :)

been up to the hives and took 1 and 1/2 supers off them not much going in from last week so i have left them all with at least a super of space each as i am off to france for 3 weeks holiday on Thursday
They were all very quite and calm so i think the flow has really slowed down ;.(

Which reminds me, finally got a few hornets collecting nesting material in the last day or two.:party:

Chris

Not a lot ...went and checked they were still there and flying - all OK - then went off to do a day's course in straw skep making ... failed miserably to complete it after 6 hours of funnelling, wrapping and tying straw into something that currently looks a bit like a straw fruit bowl.. If my fingers weren't so sore I'd take a photo and post it so you can marvel at my abject miserable inadequacy - absolutely cream crackered. Will never make a living out of straw skep making - back to the drawing board !

Have a nuc which I introduced a new queen into a couple of days ago. Nuc is now being robbed blind by other strong hives and wasps (grrrrr) so I am moving them to a lovely empty 'bee free' out apiary later this evening to give them a fighting chance. Fingers crossed that in 10 days or so I can move them back and do a successful unite.

Popped a 25mm skip-dived Celotex insulating pad under the roof of the poly hive. Half-opened the entrance block during the day due to a MASSIVE traffic jam: they were backed up well along the beeline. Pollen still coming in; who knows from where.

Went to the Gower honey show. My blackcurrant jam didn't make the placings but there was serious competition with about half a dozen or so blackcurrant entries and I only noticed when it was too late that there was a great black mark on the rim of the lid which I couldn't get rid of - the glut of blackcurrant i suppose also gave the other fruit flavours and curds the edge as they were all different.
Honey didn't make the grade but there were some superb looking lighter honeys on display (cousin Lilian got first so I'll never live it down)
But - I had first with my frame of honey and my cut comb! :winner1st:
There was quite a few very nice frames of honey fielded so it was a bit of a nail biter but I still thought I had the edge especially as our SBI drew everyone's attention to it when I brought it in. Wondering what to spend my prize money on now if i add a few quid to it i could buy a new second quality super at the sales to replace the one I drove over going to get the chosen frame for the show!!

Discovered that bees love old mans beard (no i dont mean mine), the plant. My apiary has lots in it and bees were all over it. Will let the land owner know not to worry so much about getting rid of it as it will give me a good august forage for my bees.

Well done JBM becoming a regular thing you winning first prizes

Congratulations Jenkins, hope you don't mind the informality, it seems in your case the fall came before the pride. Lessor beings might have thrown a tantrum at the spoiled super.
Any chance of turning the remains into another show case, or is it on the fire-back keeping your toes warm?

Absolutely stunning looking entries JBM ..... Top man and very well done indeed.

Quick look with my morning cuppa, then put in a door reducer of my own design while the comings and goings were few. the little darlings have glued everything together like an old time cabinet maker so slipping the reducer in was a bit of a task and as my head was at the entrance I decided to don the veil and jacket. Had another attempt to find the queen, found brood laid in a sensible pattern then oh horrors a whole side of foundation-less comb packed with capped drone moved it to the back of the hive where it will be easy to remove. Then returned the spun supers to the hive before things warmed up and flying began in ernest. just about to ask advice in a separate thread.

Latest posts

Back