What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made up some cold fondant from 'bee-grade' honey (coarse filtered crush-and-strain: heavy in pollen), icing sugar, and some pollen substitute left-over from last year - for some mating NUCs. Very yummy - I'll eat it if they don't ...
Moving the bees around tonight/ tomorrow. Bet I get stung.

Starting to get paranoid about mating flights and the bl##dy swallows. :toetap05:

LJ

Checked Varroa drop - one hive scored 3 in three days, the other one scored 6. Put the scores into the DEFRA website and it told me not to treat for 11 months. (Rejoicing about that, too... but a little scared as Varroa worries me and doing nothing seems wrong.) If any of you have suggestions that would go against DEFRA's advice, I would like to hear them.

There are a number of beekeepers on here who will state, categorically, that you should treat for Varroa ... even with no tangible sign of dead ones on the floor. My view (and a growing number of others) is that you should be sure that you have an infestation that needs treatment before you treat. We are led to believe that ALL colonies are infested to some extent but, if you have a thriving, healthy, colony then they may, possibly, be coping well with the levels of varroa and treatment just weakens any natural resistance or ability to deal with it.

Before you treat I would suggest that you do two more reliable tests than a simple drop test:

1. Uncap some drone cells and inspect them for signs of varroa. You may need to pull the contents out of the cell to see exactly the state of affairs. If there are varroa found in a number of cells then you have an indication that the infestation is fairly serious and needs attention.

2. Put a handful of bees from combs that have capped brood into a jar with a mesh top (a kilner jar with a disc of mesh cut to fit is ideal). Drop some icing sugar into the jar through the mesh and give the bees a gentle shake so that they get covered in the sugar. This will cause the varroa to drop off the bees and after a few minutes you can turn the jar upside down and out will come the sugar and any phoretic varroa that were on the bees. If you know roughly how many bees you have in the jar you can use the FERA calculation to determin the extent of the infestation and treat accordingly.The bees will not be harmed and can be put back into the hive.

2a. You can do the same test as at 2. above but instead of using icing sugar use surgical alcohol which will have the same effect of removing any phoretic mites but, clearly, will kill the bees - although you can then accurately count the bees in your test.

Armed with some real information you can then decide what level (or if any) treatment is required.

Obviously, those people with larger numbers of hives would find this level of investigation a bit of a chore and it is, probably, more cost effective and less time consuming to just treat as JBM suggests. But I am of the opinion that bees benefit from less treatment if it is at all possible and that, perhaps, in the future we can look forward to stronger colonies that are able to manage the threat from Varroa with less assistance from us and perhaps the mites will not develop the immunity to current treatments in the way they evolved immunity to pyrethroids.

Clearly, if the colony is heavily infected then it's a no brainer - they will need some treatment prior to winter and you then have choices about what you use. And that's not a can of worms that I want to open again here ...

Lots of previous (and occasionally warm) threads !

Popped down the association apiary, needed to check one hive for space as the queen was overtaking the workers' efforts to shift stores up into the super. I also wanted to have a peek in the super of mine for a nice frame of honey for the Gower show (seeing the mediocre efforts of frames for extraction at the Royal Welsh has spurred my confidence to enter a frame myself - I acquired a nice display case for loose change at the spring auctions) there was one nice frame there but they hadn't quite finished capping it so I left them to it and thought I'd get one elsewhere.
Then checked the hives at Garn Cottage 0 the 'new' nuc from last month it's now had about a week of the first brood emerging and has half filled a super.
The pembrokeshire nutters weren't (quite) as loopy as last time and had some superb frames of stores just capped - spoilt for choice really but I went for the fullest and flattest, I'm sure I'll learn otherwise in time! :D
The 'little' swarm I brought down from the field bait hive has settled in to their hive nicely (third time lucky eh?) BIAS and a whole (both sides) frame of eggs they've almost completed drawing out three wired (foundationless) frames and are starting on the foundation now - the flow has slowed down in that area but I'm sure it'll pick up in a week or so and then with more bees they'll make short work of the rest, another bunch of nice gentle bees although I haven't seen the queen yet: But with that little colony deemed viable and in my apiary records I'm in double figures :hurray: (don't tell Finman) In a way it's lucky the poor spring and it's mortalities scuppered my original plans or I'd be panicking about kit shortage now (better get Mam geared up for the sales methinks! :D

Took the basic assessment, fingers crossed!
Inspected all my hives, marked 3 newly mated queens and noted they have their mothers traits, eggs, capped brood and lots of it! I'm shocked how much they've laid! Still waiting on one virgin to be mated...she seems small!
Decided it was time to harvest some honey after inspecting my large hives!
7y8yde7u.jpg

I am shattered!

I also wanted to have a peek in the super of mine for a nice frame of honey for the Gower show

Lovely!
I have some Manleys coming along that look nearly as good.
I wish people would buy whole frames instead of bothering with all the cut comb malarkey!
We have a posh hotel nearby......I wonder.

This may be normality for other more experienced folks.

Yesterday during inspection I came across a marked queen being balled by the workers in her hive. She was surrounded by about 10 bees who were trying to sting her. I intervened, and watched as my marked queen took to wing and flew away...........

Moving to a second hive, I came across exactly the same thing, a marked queen being balled by the workers in her hive. This time, I retrieved the queen and placed her in a nuc.

Both were new queens this year, both had been laying well, but as far as the hives were concerned, they weren't required. Ideas?

Hi youngyoungs,
Please start a thread on this as it sounds intriguing! Have you got virgins in these hives now then?

Eventually split the double-brood 'hive from hell' and re-located one box to reduce the forager count prior to dismantling and re-queening. Rather than using CO2 (which was by far the best of many ideas floated), I chose instead to split the boxes at 1 a.m.

Conditions were cool, and pitch black - hung a bright white light in a sapling 20 feet away, otherwise worked by red light. Sealed the boxes, then split them with the emphasis being on speed rather than 'best practice'.
Quickly plonked the upper brood box onto an upturned crown board, and put a second crown board onto the lower brood box - all done very quickly. Must have squished a good two dozen bees in the process. Sorry girls.

Of the small cloud that took to the air, most went after the white light on their killing mission. Apart from nine 'riders' which I bought back into the house with me (due to having a white suit on) - and the squished bees, of course - it all went rather well, and didn't get stung once, in contrast to the hundred or so stings my suit received last time. But I hope I never have to do anything like this again.

I'll now leave the re-located box to settle - and lose most of it's foragers - before shaking-out the bees. Probably on Sunday.

LJ

Put a clearer board between supers last night for my very first extraction tomorrow morning. :D

Eventually split the double-brood 'hive from hell' and re-located one box to reduce the forager count prior to dismantling and re-queening. Rather than using CO2 (which was by far the best of many ideas floated), I chose instead to split the boxes at 1 a.m.

Conditions were cool, and pitch black - hung a bright white light in a sapling 20 feet away, otherwise worked by red light. Sealed the boxes, then split them with the emphasis being on speed rather than 'best practice'.
Quickly plonked the upper brood box onto an upturned crown board, and put a second crown board onto the lower brood box - all done very quickly. Must have squished a good two dozen bees in the process. Sorry girls.

Of the small cloud that took to the air, most went after the white light on their killing mission. Apart from nine 'riders' which I bought back into the house with me (due to having a white suit on) - and the squished bees, of course - it all went rather well, and didn't get stung once, in contrast to the hundred or so stings my suit received last time. But I hope I never have to do anything like this again.

I'll now leave the re-located box to settle - and lose most of it's foragers - before shaking-out the bees. Probably on Sunday.

LJ

Mega result then .... hope I never have to do it !!

Mega result then .... hope I never have to do it !!

11 a.m. and I've just been up to the top field to check on the re-located box - there are dozens of bees just hanging around the entrance, looking lost and most dejected ... so I now know which box the queen is in. :)

Things are beginning to get back to normal ...

LJ

I chose instead to split the boxes at 1 a.m.

Conditions were cool, and pitch black.

LJ

Dear Santa , i know it’s early , but while I’m think about it , can I have a set of bee keeping night vision goggles for Xmas , why are you laughing Santa , I am serious , would you please get back up on your chair Santa , Ok , I ‘ll settle for an extractor . :xmas-smiley-013::laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

Latest posts

Back