What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold and wet in 'sunny Rochdale' :rolleyes: so not much going on with the bees.

Last time it rained all day I built my beekeeper scarecrow.
I have since tested it. I can safely say as a decoy sting deterrent it is an abject failure. (Quelle surprise.)
It does however, perform well as a bee toilet.
Back to the drawing board....

On the plus side of the rainy weather, it does mean I get a rest as I cannot work outside after work nor early in the morning and need feel no guilt.
Cazza

Wednesday - gave the swarm nuc a 1-1 feed. Fingers crossed now for both nuc and colony. Wind, rain and chilly today (Thursday)

In between the showers I went up to my apiary and replaced a blown off roof, put bits of scrap timber under the hive feet to stop them sinking into the ground (the hives are currently moving a metre a week to a new location) and checked the fondant - which hadn't really been touched.

(the hives are currently moving a metre a week to a new location)

Is this your doing, or just the wind? ;)

Put a concrete block on the roof of the cedar hive- my plywood roofs weigh about the same as a concrete block anyway.

Was astonished to see some brave bees working! not worthy

had a visit from the seasonal bee inspector, inspected my colonies, marked one of my queens, left me with SHB traps and associated paraphernalia.
both colonies doing well, one on 8 frames of brood, the other on 10 frames of brood. queens have slowed down laying.

Is this your doing, or just the wind? ;)

My doing :) The farmer wants them moved about 30m - it should take all year!

The roof had blown off - I had them strapped on for all of the "winter" months only for an April gale to get one off. Loaded with bricks until I go up there again - with the straps

Last edited:
fed 2.1 syrup taking 3 litres per day

Is the weather that bad for you?

3 litres a day... :eek: Never fed that much in one go during the season only in September when I'm topping them up for Winter.

Intended to have a quick look . Turned out to be a bit more complicated .

Donated queen from local club introduced Saturday ,out and happy but colony starving so ambrosia on to help them out .

14 x 12 nuc alongside killed another nz donated queen ? No idea why . Making q cells , knocked off .

14 x 12 hive next door 4 good sealed queen cells .

So , 1 cell out and opened up and introduced to qless nuc . She walked down happily enough , not getting beaten up by the workers .

Took 2 frames of bees and sealded brood to make up another nuc , one had a good looking cell on it with wax removed round the tip so should be out pdq .

The remaining frames shaken off and foundation put back in . Feeder on with excluder underneath .

Just sitting in office now with the other two virgin queens pulled and into cages to donate elsewhere .

I think the poor weather has held the swarm impulse back as the queen in the 14 12 was still visible .

Fingers crossed all round now .

tried to check some varroa boards but gave up as the strong winds cleared the board faster than i could count ;)

still feeding a few with 1litre of 50~% syrup but wont add more as the forecast is better for forageing from tomorrow...for a few days

I topped up the feeders or Neopoll in all my colonies. They have no stores.

Is that it? Will the weather improve now?

Topped up all feeders at lunch when we had 20 mins without rain..

Forecast is for colder and wetter weather this weekend.. Eeek!

All I could really do was take a picture...

(Is that liquid gold at the end?)

DSCF3547.jpg

(yesterday) decided at 5:30 that the small burst of sun inbetween showers was as good as it was going to get in the next couple of days so dived in - too cold for an inspection but whisked the tops off and left them more fondant.

Fisrt swarm of year - initially on high branch - dislodged and settled on lower one. bit of hedge laying later and reachable. Now happily housed.

As it was raining I made up more super frames and then found I had very few supers left in the garage

Went off in the rain to search my apiaries thinking that I must have missed a stack of empty supers

No, none empty .... A large stack at one apiary all made up

Then realised SENIOR MOMENT that I had already made all the supers up last month... Must order a new brain

Back