What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had a look and the bees are doing sentry go at the entrance at 19:34 and the outside temp is 8c, ( inside the join between the super and the brood is 30C). And now there is one flying out carrying bits of fondant...
weird..

Rain,sun, hail, sun, thunder, hail, more hail,sun, rain...so topped up 2 feeders in between .

And admired the clouds.

BTW, what does "drought" mean?

Took 4+ hours to get home this evening so no chance to look at the bees as planned (bad traffic and focal awful weather - heavy sleety hail in places).

will take a quick peek in morning and make necessary adjustments to set-ups.

Unlike DrS I got home a bit early last night and took the chance to quickly inspect a couple of colonies (11 degrees C) that I hadn't looked into since the Autumn and supered three hives that were ready for more space for stores, clustering etc.

spent last night making up and and fixing foundation into a set of 14x12 frames.

then this morning cold and damp so extremely quick fiddle before heading to work:

reversed a pair of brood boxes and added a 14x12 of foundation to another hive in need.

little in way of storage in supers yet despite the yellow fields - hopefully slightly better weather due for a few days at least.

Just went down and watched the comings and goings from the OSR, seemed very active which makes a change from the last few days with this cacky weather...

I find it quite amazing how the time just flys by, sitting and watching the bees coming and going.

Tomorrow I must get on with the allotment for a change, the weeds are taking over.

Just back from the bees .
A veritable hive of industry .
Must have my 2nd check of the year before supering :D
VM

Had to do an artificial swarm this afternoon, took the chance as the temperature edged up to 13 degrees in the back garden, cracked the brood chamber and lo and behold, queen cells. Found HM on the second frame with nice unsealed brood so transfered her across to the spare, now just the long wait to see if everything goes ok and the new queen gets mated, scary stuff at the start of my 2nd year :D

Yesterday - Friday. Gratefully assisted by forum member 'mike a' done a full inspection of my TBH. Lots of bees and 2 sealed Queen cells. One comb 'dropped' off. Left this to bee robbed back into the hive. Mike took some great pictures for me as well. Spotted the Queen, although mark now not visible. Made some more room and now just wait and see whats happening. Thanks Mike you're, a star :cheers2: (Just as important - no stings)

quickly hived a nuc while the weather wasnt bad, put some food on and meant to apiguard them, but the eke broke :doh

Bees are multiplying fast! Had to do an AS (my first) into a nucleus from one of my hives and knock down Queen cells from the other. Ordering more deep foundation now... (saw both my Queens, so no swarms yet!).

Warm enough today to check on the AS done last week, looking good...
Added a 2nd super to the hive that wasn't involved in the AS.

Collected my Capital Bees nuc today and hived them at the site I selected last year.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4RvRVBN4vA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Within an hour of moving the frames in and with the girls fanning the way home, I saw two bees with heavily laden pollen baskets alight on the front of the hive and go in.

Can't believe they were from the nuc, as they would surely have unloaded since they were last out, so could they have been seduced into going in from the nasanov miasma?

More interestingly was the fact that one had big jodhpurs of bight orange pollen and the other was a vivid blue. Any ideas?

looked through my hives today supered all but the one that is still clinging on.

performed an artificial swarm at out apiary 3, and set up stands on my newest site, ready for splits later in the year.
23a31e18a064d2bf6d69a54517a2a37a_2014.jpg

Today put 4 colonies out into apiary on a golf course and school next to OSR, two were not happy with the expirence the other 2 just sent out a few bees, will check in a few days all is well. Have had sealed QS this weekend all ok though queens still present.

Wow. Was this yours or someone else's?

Too cold for inspections. Looked warm, but barely over 12 and the one I opened told me so immediately. Fair enough, I will see what tomorrow brings.

However, checked my Capital Bee bees and they were going mental, as the area I placed them in is far more sheltered and has a number of trees in full blossom. They were loving it, so will go in after a couple of days and check they have more stores than when I hived them.

Latest posts

Back