What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested out my new suit I bought from a supplier I hadn't heard of before and must say I am impressed with it! And it only cost me £50!

Which supplier please?
Thanks

I have sent you a message as wasn't sure if it would be construed as advertising. Not sure if that is allowed lol

It would be allowed. (I think!)

Thanks for the PM.

Hefted and OA treated 35 double brood colonies belonging to a friend. Most were very strong. 5 were light and needed fondant. 3 other colonies were really aggressive with hundreds covering my veil, clinging, stinging my B suit (obvious candidiates for queen culling in 2017) and 2 others I suspect were queenless as they were roaring and very diffuse (no cluster)

. 3 other colonies were really aggressive with hundreds covering my veil, clinging, stinging my B suit

Heavens......when I did mine I didn't get a single bee out to see what I was doing

. and 2 others I suspect were queenless as they were roaring and very diffuse (no cluster)

That's interesting......I have one colony that roars at me if I move the inspection board or even stick the phone under the hive stand to see how many dead bees there are on the floor( yes.....overkill, I know)

Hefted and OA treated 35 double brood colonies belonging to a friend. Most were very strong. 5 were light and needed fondant. 3 other colonies were really aggressive with hundreds covering my veil, clinging, stinging my B suit (obvious candidiates for queen culling in 2017) and 2 others I suspect were queenless as they were roaring and very diffuse (no cluster)

Interesting, have mine earmarked for January treatment, so mild here lately hoping for a cold snap and to catch a minimum brood period then, mid Jan.

With my friend 'linoleum bonypart' he showed me how to vaporise my 4 hives...looking forward to inspecting the varroa board over the next few days!
Does any one trickle as well as vape?

With my friend 'linoleum bonypart' he showed me how to vaporise my 4 hives...looking forward to inspecting the varroa board over the next few days!

Either one or the other - you definitely don't need both - unless you're one of the many fools on the BBKA FB page who don't seem to have a grasp of either :D

You are doing it all wrong, do you not read the forum :icon_204-2: , i was told by a member that i should not treat the bees until it is 8c or below, that way you do not need a bee suit, luckily i use my own common sense and veil up anyway as i had something similar happen last week and it read 10c on the mercury.

Stand outside naked on a freezing cold day and pour a bucket of tepid water over your head, let me know what it feels like.. lol

You are doing it all wrong, do you not read the forum :icon_204-2: , i was told by a member that i should not treat the bees until it is 8c or below, that way you do not need a bee suit, luckily i use my own common sense and veil up anyway as i had something similar happen last week and it read 10c on the mercury.

I don't think your bees like you Millet. What have you been saying to them....:nono: :icon_204-2:

I blocked up my hive ready for moving this morning. First time, not super successful, not even that sure I've done the job. A beekeeper with experience is coming round at 8 to help load the bees into the bakkie (small truck) I guess he'll be able to tell me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look after a couple of colonies for a lady who lives fairly near to me. Both of them have open-mated daughters of 6-1-1037-2015 (which was part of my test group this year). She did 3 OA treatments 5 days apart a couple of months ago then a 24 hour natural mite drop yesterday.
On the first hive, she had 1 mite and on the second, there were 3. How does this compare with what other people are seeing now?

I look after a couple of colonies for a lady who lives fairly near to me. Both of them have open-mated daughters of 6-1-1037-2015 (which was part of my test group this year). She did 3 OA treatments 5 days apart a couple of months ago then a 24 hour natural mite drop yesterday.
On the first hive, she had 1 mite and on the second, there were 3. How does this compare with what other people are seeing now?
I done 4 treatments OA 5 days apart a couple of month back with a significant mite drop after the treatments, 3 weeks ago the inspection tray was riddled with them again so i gassed them again, last week they was still a large number of mites dropping so i done them again, i will be checking the inspection tray tomorrow and hopefully the mite drop has slowed down.

Drove to my furthest away out Apiary, cold wet, . Just a visual check . Good to see all in order. Watched a Worker Bombus Terrestris foraging on flowering Nahonia " Charity ".

Very low 7 day counts in the two garden hives with your queens. Substantially higher in the one that doesn't.

Thats nice to know. Even though they're open mated, they're retaining some of the hygiene.
I'd be interested to hear how productive/gentle they are as they buildup next season, so, please keep me informed.

Last edited:
I did the same 3 treatments 5 days apart starting 3rd of September. And starting the heather hives 2 weeks later.
From the first batch my highest drop last week after OA was 14( most hives 5 or less)
From the heather hives 64 from one , the others around 30.
I didn't check for brood, but I suspect given the previous 3 weeks cold weather that there was little or none.
I'm surprised it was so low as they were busy throughout September October and the first half of November.

Latest posts

Back