What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your loss ErichA. Is it terrible to have to do it, but better than having to die the way humans have to.

Been giving my smoker a long overdue spring clean. Got fed up with it going out all the time and not giving much smoke when it did stay lit. After giving it a 24 hour bath using a whole packet of washing soda and much scraping it is nearly clean - it seems there was a large obstruction of tar like rock inside the lid. Managed to break it into rubble that rattles but not managed to get it all out yet despite poking through the holes with a knitting needle. Beginning to think I may have to take a tin opener to the inside cover of the lid to get the bits out. I assume this problem has been caused by me using broken up pine cones in my fuel - they seem to leave a sticky residue.
Or maybe I should buy a new smoker - and clean it more often!

Play a blowlamp over the tarry bits - it will bubble up and burn again and eventually you will be left with a brittle friable ash which comes off easily with a quich scrape from a hive tool - it may take a couple of goes to clear it all if it's really thick. Lot more effective than washing soda soak

Just noticed your reference to an 'inside cover' to your lid - seen them on some smokers, totally pointless so if you can get rid, do! :D

Last edited:
Pleased to see my bees on Holly which flowers in profusion despite flowering late autumn as well here.

Sorry to hear that Dani - doesn't matter how many times you have to do it, it never gets any easier.

Thanks, JBM.
At least I got to do it myself, quietly at home and let the youngster say goodbye.
It was time, he was largely blind and very very deaf. I could hardly imagine what his thoughts must have been as he struggled along in the last few weeks.

Oh Erica, you must be feeling simply bereft. I am so sorry.
Thank you for your kind thoughts :)

Sorry to hear that Erica. Sometimes having a little furry mate breaks ones heart.

It does, indeed. Thank you for your message :)
[/quote]

The only thing better than bees is a trusty dog. I know how you feel, I lost my beagle after 13 years together last fall. She was a great dog, but was smart enough to run for cover if I started opening hives.

Yes....the old boy knew about bees. Smart dog :)

Sorry to hear of your loss ErichA. Is it terrible to have to do it, but better than having to die the way humans have to.

Thank you been

Really sorry Erica.
A sad day but better for him, thank you

So sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your dog....it always leaves a big empty space. Xx

I had to put down my old spaniel last year, coming on to fifteen years old - she was fascinated by the bees from day one, used to sit with her nose right up to a nuc entrance and watch the bees come and go - in her younger days she would lie down under the hive and have a nap whilst I inspected it.
All our long past dogs are buried under the apple tree near the old kennels (now one of the bee sheds) I often find myself saying hello to each one as I pass.

Nothing to add to dog stories. Sorry to hear of all losses. I like dogs except when they bite (Rottweiler, Alsatian and spaniel so far).

One tip for smokers is to grease the rim where the smoker top fits over the cylinder - with a very small amount of copper grease. (as in cars).. Yes, the grease burns off, but you are left with a thin (very) layer of copper which aids closing and helps prevent sooting up.

Of course, the rim must be clean first and you need to do it every 4-6 weeks but it makes life easier.. I also use a tin can cylinder - removed to light with a blowtorch at the base... no faffing around... And I have realigned the smoker vent in the bellows so it is now directly aligned with the hole in the cylinder and done the D Cushman funnel mod . As a result, my bellows are far more effective.. so less effort needed.

I have a small pile of branches in the garden seasoning for smoker fuel..(Free - I'm not a exiled Scot for nothing)

And I have realigned the smoker vent in the bellows so it is now directly aligned with the hole in the cylinder and done the D Cushman funnel mod . As a result, my bellows are far more effective.. so less effort needed.

I have a small pile of branches in the garden seasoning for smoker fuel..(Free - I'm not a exiled Scot for nothing)

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/smok.html
Do you mean the bit half way down the page: "It consists of a small tinplate or brass cone that is attached to the bellows over the air exit hole. This modification concentrates the air into a fine column that is aimed centrally along the venturi tube."

And you don't have to be a scot to want to not spend money on fuel.

Sympathies for the dog to Erichalfbee. Pets are important parts of our lives and it is always sad when one leaves.

Just seen your sad news ericA. It's dreadfully ironic that it's the last kindness you can do for a faithful old friend. So sorry.

Nothing to add to dog stories. Sorry to hear of all losses. I like dogs except when they bite (Rottweiler, Alsatian and spaniel so far).

One tip for smokers is to grease the rim where the smoker top fits over the cylinder - with a very small amount of copper grease. (as in cars).. Yes, the grease burns off, but you are left with a thin (very) layer of copper which aids closing and helps prevent sooting up.

Of course, the rim must be clean first and you need to do it every 4-6 weeks but it makes life easier.. I also use a tin can cylinder - removed to light with a blowtorch at the base... no faffing around... And I have realigned the smoker vent in the bellows so it is now directly aligned with the hole in the cylinder and done the D Cushman funnel mod . As a result, my bellows are far more effective.. so less effort needed.

Any chance of pictures.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/smok.html
Do you mean the bit half way down the page: "It consists of a small tinplate or brass cone that is attached to the bellows over the air exit hole. This modification concentrates the air into a fine column that is aimed centrally along the venturi tube."

Yes.
I used a nylon bush, bored it out using a drill to give a cone shape. Attached to bellows over the hole using gaffa tape.Edit: there is a gap between the end of the bush and the start of the pipe connected to the smoker base- to allow air entry. Looks a bodge - works very well. Piece of wire attached to top of can insert to lift it in/out of smoker..folds away on top of smoker fuel in can. I use a cork (last piccie) to insert in smoker nozzle instead of grass to put out burner.
Piccies:

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
QUOTE=Tremyfro;538392]So sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your dog....it always leaves a big empty space. Xx[/QUOTE]

Just seen your sad news ericA. It's dreadfully ironic that it's the last kindness you can do for a faithful old friend. So sorry.

I am so sorry to hear this. Keep him in your hearts.

Thank you so much
He was from a line of Fly-Ball collies. He used to love that when he was young
He leaves me with such good memories

Just back from telling the bees that my beloved old collie who was my shadow for 14 years was put to sleep this morning.........sigh :(

That's terrible - I know how difficult it is.

I had to do that with a 13-year old mongrel a couple of years ago - she had been doubly incontinent for a few years after hurting her back, but when she lost the use of her legs, it was time. And now one of our labs has gotten very old the past year, and walks take much longer than they did, so I'm expecting something similar in the not too distant future and I know I'll be devastated.

Latest posts

Back